Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC
Hunted
Canada/Europe/Africa/14 US States
Good Morning/Afternoon Folks,

Been doing a little research for the past couple months on a relatively low impact, cost effective hunt/fish trip that all the AH members (an families) might be interested in doing next fall (2015). Thought it may be a great opportunity to have a unique "get together" and do some hunting/fishing at the same time. If we can talk some of the overseas boys in joining that will just add to the adventure....Jerome, Jac, Jaco, Marius, Pieter, Loodt ect ect Unfortunately Non Res Aliens will have to swap their rifles for poles or hire a lic.outfitter to hunt, sorry guys.

DIY Coastal Black Bear on Prince of Wales Island, Alaska. This trip can be anything from 4 to 7 days depending on your schedule. Fall timeframe the vast majority of blacks are concentrated on the salmon streams so it is close quarter hunting.

The added bonus is the late run of Silver salmon with the addition of Halibut. I have contacted 3 lodges on the island that offer self guided hunts, all include lodging, meals, boat, vehicle, fishing equipment. Prices are running between $1500-$2200 approx. Flights are from Seattle to Ketchikan A, then either ferry or float plane to POW.

POW went to a draw a few years back and draw odds are about 35%. The AK draw is open now already and ends mid December. I have applied already and will be coming up whether I draw or not.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I can go over the hunt code for applying and any other details you have questions about . Lic is $85ish and IF you draw the locking tag for bear is about $225 if I remember correctly.

Nathan

Last edited:
Nathan, that is an interesting idea.
Not sure I can pull it off but it has me thinking.

I was looking at POW a couple of yrs ago. As well as some of the other islands off the coast of Alaska. One of the places that my taxidermist went with friends. He said first week of Sept was his choice. Some bears on the huckleberries as well as the salmon. He said the biggest problem was getting people to wait for a better bear. Hard to judge, so many took mediocre ones when there are very good ones available. Some of the places will provide a 4X4 and a boat for use while there. Also a crab trap. One fellow said he wanted to eat his own weight in crab during the trip and apparently came close.... Might be interested... Bruce

I thought of trying to do something like this but never went through with it.So hard to find a place were the tags can be drawn for a group.I was thinking a pronghorn hunt would be nice but the bear hunt could be good to.

I also thought of maybe trying to get together with a few outfitters on here and do a AH group hunt to south africa.HUnt with a few different guys and just travel and see all SA has to offer.Maybe 2 or 3 days at each place then move on.

Good luck if you can make something work would be fun for sure.

Nathan, that is an interesting idea.
Not sure I can pull it off but it has me thinking.

I imagine Canadians are in the same fishing boat as those from overseas but still sounds interesting.

One fellow said he wanted to eat his own weight in crab during the trip and apparently came close....

Sounds like my kind of guy! lol

Doubt I could pull this off next year, but I am definitely interested in the idea!

All the lodges I spoke to do indeed include crab and shrimp pots...Should be a great trip all the way around. Can't say I have hunted POW yet but have taken a couple out of PWS and a pile from the interior.
Flights were not as bad as I expected either, Nashville to Ketch RT was/is $618.

I was looking at POW a couple of yrs ago. As well as some of the other islands off the coast of Alaska. One of the places that my taxidermist went with friends. He said first week of Sept was his choice. Some bears on the huckleberries as well as the salmon. He said the biggest problem was getting people to wait for a better bear. Hard to judge, so many took mediocre ones when there are very good ones available. Some of the places will provide a 4X4 and a boat for use while there. Also a crab trap. One fellow said he wanted to eat his own weight in crab during the trip and apparently came close.... Might be interested... Bruce
I'll fight the bears for the huckleberries. Huckleberry milkshakes and pies are amazing.

That is an interesting idea Nathan!

Sounds like good idea if we could work around our over the pond buddies so be after their busy time if they have such a thing

Big Bears, Fresh Fish and Seafood...The ingredients for a great time are there fellas. I'd even toss my name in the hat for helping skin...

If we can talk some of the overseas boys in joining that will just add to the adventure....Jerome, Jac, Jaco, Marius, Pieter, Loodt ect ect Unfortunately Non Res Aliens will have to swap their rifles for poles or hire a lic.outfitter to hunt, sorry guys..

Nathan

IRONY...........The guys who's livelihood is hunting have to use a licensed outfitter while us weekend warriors get to DIY.

I like the idea Nathan. Thanks for putting the effort into this. Fall 2015 may not be a good time for me but beyond that I'm interested.

All the best.

Big Bears, Fresh Fish and Seafood...The ingredients for a great time are there fellas. I'd even toss my name in the hat for helping skin...
Don't forget the "sidehill salmon"!:eek::D

I'll fight the bears for the huckleberries. Huckleberry milkshakes and pies are amazing.

Big plus 1 on the huckleberries!

Great idea Nathan. The black bears on POW are some of the biggest to be had anywhere. The don't have to compete with grizzlies for the salmon, so they are very well fed.

Been doing a little research for the past couple months on a relatively low impact, cost effective hunt/fish trip that all the AH members (an families) might be interested in doing next fall (2015). Thought it may be a great opportunity to have a unique "get together" and do some hunting/fishing at the same time. If we can talk some of the overseas boys in joining that will just add to the adventure....Jerome, Jac, Jaco, Marius, Pieter, Loodt ect ect Unfortunately Non Res Aliens will have to swap their rifles for poles or hire a lic.outfitter to hunt, sorry guys.

DIY Coastal Black Bear on Prince of Wales Island, Alaska. This trip can be anything from 4 to 7 days depending on your schedule. Fall timeframe the vast majority of blacks are concentrated on the salmon streams so it is close quarter hunting.

The added bonus is the late run of Silver salmon with the addition of Halibut. I have contacted 3 lodges on the island that offer self guided hunts, all include lodging, meals, boat, vehicle, fishing equipment. Prices are running between $1500-$2200 approx. Flights are from Seattle to Ketchikan A, then either ferry or float plane to POW.

POW went to a draw a few years back and draw odds are about 35%. The AK draw is open now already and ends mid December. I have applied already and will be coming up whether I draw or not.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I can go over the hunt code for applying and any other details you have questions about . Lic is $85ish and IF you draw the locking tag for bear is about $225 if I remember correctly.

Nathan

This sounds like a first class plan of action +1 for this thought! I am very much interested but maybe for 2016 as it gives us more time to schedule, plan and organise something to this extent. Let's start drafting up dates and cost estimates for 2016 and see where it brings us to.

I thought of trying to do something like this but never went through with it.So hard to find a place were the tags can be drawn for a group.I was thinking a pronghorn hunt would be nice but the bear hunt could be good to.

I also thought of maybe trying to get together with a few outfitters on here and do a AH group hunt to south africa.HUnt with a few different guys and just travel and see all SA has to offer.Maybe 2 or 3 days at each place then move on.

Good luck if you can make something work would be fun for sure.

@billc as you mentioned getting tags for everyone in a group can be problematic and or a headache I take. However, I am sure just to be part of such an organised hunt must be something very unique in an African's eyes!

Doing the same type of hunt in South Africa with outfitters here can also be a great way of getting together on a fun and relaxed way. Touring more, seeing different areas and each person shooting an animal of his choice at various locations on the trip. For example doing Johannesburg and moving South to Port Elizabeth stopping over, and participating in various traditional hunts on endemic species as we go.

Let me know your thoughts and get something started!

This sounds like a first class plan of action +1 for this thought! I am very much interested but maybe for 2016 as it gives us more time to schedule, plan and organise something to this extent. Let's start drafting up dates and cost estimates for 2016 and see where it brings us to.

Gotta believe once the First AH trip is completed on POW it will become an annual event...Atleast I would hope. Whose wife couldn't go for bear rug in front of the fireplace.....

Have 4 total in the draw as of now. Worst case senerio is your out the lic fee if you dont draw or draw and something comes up preventing you from going. Only AFTER you draw are you required to pop on the locking tag and thats before the hunt.

This is a great idea. Thanks for starting the conversation.

I always seem to hunt alone, so I would also be very interested in an AH Group Hunt in Southern Africa. Other forums have group hunts and they result in lasting friendships.

Got to thinking about it. I think it may of been blueberries and not huckleberries.......... You all know what goes first in your old age?.. Bruce

Got to thinking about it. I think it may of been blueberries and not huckleberries.......... You all know what goes first in your old age?.. Bruce
Them Blueberries and Mossberries are great, I think I love them as much as the bears(y)

Sittin at about 30 days out from the draws closing folks...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!