AH Get Together In Dallas During Dallas Safari Club (DSC) Convention 2021

There is a different attitude in Collin County and Tarrent County both are capable of hosting the convention. Remember the Dallas Cowboys don’t play in Dallas, TX

Don’t be canceling the convention until DSC does. We are going to keep fighting for it.

There is a different attitude in Collin County and Tarrent County both are capable of hosting the convention. Remember the Dallas Cowboys don’t play in Dallas, TX

Yep..

The Allen Event Center is small by comparison to the Dallas Convention Center... but I also suspect a smaller number of vendors as well as a smaller number of guests this year for obvious reasons..

Allen also has a new convention center that just opened last year.. 52000 sq feet of meeting space, an adjacent hotel, and good sized parking garage...

Frisco also has a venue or two that could work... I’m betting Plano does too..

If DSC wants the event to “go”... there are solutions available.. and any of the Collin County cities would jump at the opportunity to bring the event to their associated convention centers or arenas

Sooo what’s the dinner plan. Are we all in just wait and see mode or is it a go?
Perhaps it’s all answered somewhere and I haven’t seen it

Sooo what’s the dinner plan. Are we all in just wait and see mode or is it a go?
I used to tell my Linebackers in American Football don’t be in a hurry to run to where you think the football is, but when you know run like a bat out of hell.

Yep..

The Allen Event Center is small by comparison to the Dallas Convention Center... but I also suspect a smaller number of vendors as well as a smaller number of guests this year for obvious reasons..

Allen also has a new convention center that just opened last year.. 52000 sq feet of meeting space, an adjacent hotel, and good sized parking garage...

Frisco also has a venue or two that could work... I’m betting Plano does too..

If DSC wants the event to “go”... there are solutions available.. and any of the Collin County cities would jump at the opportunity to bring the event to their associated convention centers or arenas

Looking at the vendor map online, it’s not much smaller then previous years, if they all show up. I agree, the Metroplex has lots of place to hold a convention, but housing is problem that the others can’t match.

With this news, it's still wait and see. And if the convention were actually to move venue, well that would likely mean re-planning the location. Too many balls up in the air to make decisions now. I can only imagine how the DSC people feel.

Looking at the vendor map online, it’s not much smaller then previous years, if they all show up. I agree, the Metroplex has lots of place to hold a convention, but housing is problem that the others can’t match.

The solution then becomes the Gaylord Convention Center and hotel in Grapevine (Tarrant County)...

400,000 square feet of convention floor.. and a 1000 room hotel (roughly same size as the Omni)..

and another 10 hotels of reasonable size within a 2 mile radius...

The space at the Dallas Convention Center is about 1M square feet.. but DSC doesnt use even half of it.. I believe they only use Exhibit halls D, E, and F (A, B, and C go unused every year)

400K might be a little tight.. but it should be doable if the number of vendors remains similar to last year.. if the vendor list is even a little bit smaller, 400K should absolutely be doable..

There's a solution out there if DSC wants/needs one..

It would take some massive maneuvering.. but Im willing to bet Gaylord would love the business...

NWTF does their annual show at the Gaylord convention center and hotel in Nashville... Its not quite as big as DSC in recent years.. but it is still a massive show.. and several of the African outfitters are present at it every year.. Gaylord is something many would be familiar with.. and they organizationally have experience with large outdoors/hunting related shows.. and have historically done a very good job supporting them..

There's also a big Bass Pro within spitting distance of the Gaylord that I am sure would love to see DSC held in Grapevine (not to mention I am sure a lot of guys coming into town for the show that are from rural areas and dont have access to a Bass Pro/Cabelas/Scheels, etc.. would like having easy access to that as well...

Last edited:
Y’all just hang on. One of our greatest strengths in DSC is our female members. They are at this very moment getting ready to release their charm along with a steely courage. Step Back! Get out of the way and be ready!

I had reserved a room at the Westin down the street, but no problem to cancel and go to another hotel if venue changes.

It looks like we are not having the dinner.

It looks like we are not having the dinner.

That is incorrect to say at this time.

When Jerome and I last spoke about the dinner plans, we both felt that due to the Covid situation it was premature to make those plans and lay down a big deposit. We both felt it would be prudent to wait until there was more clarity on whether the show would even happen at all and if so what the situation would look like. I would say with recent news and rumors regarding the situation in Dallas and with DSC, that we have not achieved more clarity. I would say in fact the waters are more muddy now than a couple months ago.

Having said that, I've not yet thrown in the towel nor do I believe Jerome has. With each passing day it certainly gets more difficult to plan this event and pull it off. But if we get the clarity we need and can seem to make it happen, I will certainly do what I can and I'm sure Jerome will too.

That is incorrect to say at this time.

When Jerome and I last spoke about the dinner plans, we both felt that due to the Covid situation it was premature to make those plans and lay down a big deposit. We both felt it would be prudent to wait until there was more clarity on whether the show would even happen at all and if so what the situation would look like. I would say with recent news and rumors regarding the situation in Dallas and with DSC, that we have not achieved more clarity. I would say in fact the waters are more muddy now than a couple months ago.

Having said that, I've not yet thrown in the towel nor do I believe Jerome has. With each passing day it certainly gets more difficult to plan this event and pull it off. But if we get the clarity we need and can seem to make it happen, I will certainly do what I can and I'm sure Jerome will too.

Thanks Phil!

Not that it matters, but I totally get and support the strategy.

If DSC happens, something can always be thrown together last minute, even if small.

Y’all just hang on. One of our greatest strengths in DSC is our female members. They are at this very moment getting ready to release their charm along with a steely courage. Step Back! Get out of the way and be ready!
Lol. I just about spit my drink out on that one! I can just imagine a perfect southern lady coming into an office, deciding where to sit her purse that cost more than my first pickup, smoothing out her skirt, leaning forward and saying, " well bless your heart, we need to discuss this thang..." At that point the battle and war are already won, the only thing remaining is how long to put off the inevitable victory. Go get 'em ladies....:love:

I had reserved a room at the Westin down the street, but no problem to cancel and go to another hotel if venue changes.
The venue won’t change. It is too big of an event. It will either happen or not but it won’t move.

It would be a serious PIA to change venues this late in the game..

but there are other venues in the DFW area, outside of Dallas County and the City of Dallas that are big enough to host the event...

The Gaylord mentioned above is big enough.. Its in Tarrant County... and is actually much closer to the DFW Airport than the Dallas Convention Center and has just as many nearby hotels as the Omni downtown..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg