Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Well gents, I'm sure you're opening this thread anticipating an announcement regarding our annual dinner in Dallas. Unfortunately it is not the announcement I would like to make. As of now, the plans for the dinner are on hold. I have spoke with Jerome on the phone about this and we're in agreement that it is premature to book Gilley's for the event.

As you are probably guessing this is due to the Covid issue. While DSC is still scheduled, it's a long time between now and February and we would like to have more clarity that the show will happen and also what the situation will be even if it does. So just a few of our concerns and hopefully you'll understand:

1) Will DSC even come off? Not sure about this if there's the so called "second wave" of Covid.

2) What will the situation be at Gilley's if a "second wave" occurs? Just not sure they would be able to host our group of 200 we've had the last two years in the same room due to social distancing requirements.
Personally I'd rather cancel the event this year than to have to tell folks they can't come because we had to reduce the max attendance to 100 or some other lower number. There is of course the option to go to a bigger room, but that starts to be quite expensive.

3) If we book now and start taking reservations, what happens if the dinner gets cancelled due to the show being cancelled? That would be a giant pain for Jerome to have to refund that many people thru PayPal.

There are some other thoughts/concerns I have too, but I won't bore you further. For now as stated, the dinner is on hold. It's not cancelled yet, just on hold. As we approach the end of the year we should have more clarity and hopefully all will happen, we shall see.

I apologize that we have to do this. I look forward to this event every year as much anyone, but this is what Jerome and I think we must do for the time being.

Last edited by a moderator:

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
Perfectly understandable. These are strange times! How about we all grab take out, our adult beverage of choice, and meet in the parking lot for a ‘peaceful protest’?

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
I wish my place was close to the show, we would have our damn party! Enough booze is consumed during the annual AH dinner that there is no way the old corronie would stand a chance. And Jeffery Epstein didn’t kill himself.lol

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
Perfectly understandable. These are strange times! How about we all grab take out, our adult beverage of choice, and meet in the parking lot for a ‘peaceful protest’?
Had to go back and edit my reaction on that one @WAB
Edit: the heart eyes thing is a bit much though!

Reactions: WAB

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
Wise decision Phil and Jerome. I talked to one of the DSC administrators last Thursday. As of that day the convention is still on, but if it does happen, it is not going to look like what most of us are familiar with. There are still many problems for the organizers to overcome. All DSC members should receive an email on Tuesday to clarify some of the questions many of us have. But don't expect all to be answered.

K-man

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Spain, Alaska, RSA, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, British Columbia, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming
Probably prudent to put the event on hold. At what time will there be a "go - no go" cutoff? I guess what is the latest date Gilley's is willing to work with us? Thanks for working on this.

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
I understand putting the brakes on for a bit. I’ll assure you that (I have my sources) COVID is over as of now and will never return. No second wave possible.
Thanks Phil for working on this and give it a month then get the thing booked!
Regards,
Philip

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Probably prudent to put the event on hold. At what time will there be a "go - no go" cutoff? I guess what is the latest date Gilley's is willing to work with us? Thanks for working on this.
I'm honestly not certain at this point about Gilley's. Personally I think it wise to wait thru November and see what the situation is at that point.

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada
I'm honestly not certain at this point about Gilley's. Personally I think it wise to wait thru November and see what the situation is at that point.
If and when I get a booth at DSC, I'll be there. No ways I'm giving that up. Even if I have to hold an AH Dinner for 1. Will send photos.

rinehart0050

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, NC, MD, AZ, TX)
Smart move but hoping everything comes together in the end.

neckdeep

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI DSC DU Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique, USA, Argentina
If DSC is having a convention, I will be there, and will be at the GTG if it happens!!

AZDAVE

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
Good morning
I would like to throw out an idea of finding a outdoor area, (ranch or ?) Close to Dallas that we could have a brain. I know it would be tougher to setup than a catered dinner. But would be an option closer to a nightly firepit while on safari.

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada
Good morning
I would like to throw out an idea of finding a outdoor area, (ranch or ?) Close to Dallas that we could have a brain. I know it would be tougher to setup than a catered dinner. But would be an option closer to a nightly firepit while on safari.
I like this idea.

norfolk shooter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
I sure hope covid stops popping up as it is in the UK. I think it is a prudent plan to hold out for now but saying that there are some gleaming ideas. @Bullthrower338 how far is your place? Im sure we can lay on some helicopters it is Texas after all. The land where everyday folk shoot hogs from choppers with AR's :W Shooting Uzi:. @KMG Hunting Safaris well volunteered to man the braaaaai!! I just wish I can make it had a heck of a time in Jan

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
I assuming autocorrect turned braai into brain? If so, I too like the idea!

norfolk shooter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
I assuming autocorrect turned braai into brain? If so, I too like the idea!
What of having brain??? Cue Mr Hopkins with a nice bottle of Chianti ths, ths, ths, ths, ths,

AZDAVE

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
@WAB I very much dislike auto correct. I would happly help on the braai

Reactions: WAB

norfolk shooter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
Guy just remember guard your facial hair while drinking
IMG_20200917_192948.jpeg

Latest profile posts

Enjoy the bush with Respect
20 day hunt in May 2022 with Zana Botes hard part now starting the wait
Better a fool on his own than a wise man at someone else's discretion
... F. Nietzsche
perry madl wrote on Ignatius of Antioch's profile.
Is your double still available?
I am interested in Safari Animal Paintings