AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
AK WSF, AMM, DSC, GOA, GRAA, NRA, PHASA, SCI, WSF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Argentina, Canada, England, Macedonia, Mexico, Serbia, Alaska, USA
As a kid I had 20/15 vision. Around 40 my arms became too short. Eventually I had to go to glasses to see close up. Then my distance vision shortened a bit as well. I was spending $1200 every year or two on the most optioned eyeglasses I could buy, and needed multiple pairs scattered around in case I wasn't where I last left them. And my balance just wasn't as good as it used to be. A friend had had her eye's lenses replaced 20 years earlier with something called Crystalens and loved them bringing her vision to almost 20/20.

One day I'd finally had enough of glasses and decided to see an eye doctor about Crystalens. Well it seems there was a better option now called Symfony Lens. Doc said my vision would be 20/20 although I might need low powered readers for real small print. 1% chance I'd loose my eyesight (you know, lawyer CYA stuff).

I decided to go for it. Insurance wouldn't cover any of it cause I didn't have cataracts. $6,500 per eye. Out patient procedure. My doc preferred to do one eye and then a week later the other. Some docs will do both at the same time.

Painless for me. Laser cuts a slit in your eye so your lens can be vacuumed out. Then the Symfony Lens is inserted in its place. The entire time your eyes are open and you get to see out your eye as all this takes place. Kinda weird. Okay, very weird.

Doc then takes the lens out of your glasses that you don't need anymore so for the next week you look kinda ridiculous. A week later the same for the other eye and he takes the other lens out of your glasses and off you go with lensless glasses.

I was told that bright lights at night would create halos but not as bad as the older Crystalens would. He was right. He also said that in six to 12 months time my brain would learn to ignore the halos and I would no longer see them. Again he was right.

My vision was now and five years later is 20/20. In dim light its easier to read very small print with those cheap 1.25 readers, but in daylight or bright light indoors I don't need anything.

Close, mid and long range vision is excellent. Iron sights, excellent. No red dots needed on anything other than my Glocks for quick target acquisition of two legged mammals.

Oh, and my gradual loss of balance? That was somehow associated with wearing glasses I guess because I got my balance back. An awesome unexpected huge positive.

See your eye doc please. If these will work for you I promise it will truly be a life changing experience. And for less than a cost of a double and no ugly out of place red dots on the sexiest gun ever made.

I used Dr Shannon Wong in Austin Texas. He has them himself and at that time had done over a thousand patients. After I didn't go blind my business partner decided to do it. Different doctor, both eyes at the same time. 20/20 vision and agrees it is a life changing investment.

Here is a link to one website that talks about it.

https://myvision.org/iol/symfony/

Oh and for any pilots out there they are FAA approved.

I’ll second that Sourdough I had both my eyes done about 7 years ago and they’re still going fine.
Best money I’ve ever spent.

did the same operation 2 months ago, is a bit light sensitive, but it goes better took both eyes at the same time .pris7000 $ in norwayBest money I’ve ever spent.

Congratulations on restored vision
I just had both my eyes repaired by ICL week ago, so know how it feels to see clearly again. It is wonderful feeling, isn't it?
Enjoy and have a good time
Pavel

Same here! Whitsett Vision Center in Houston did mine. Best $$ ever spent. It took about a year for everything to return to normal, but it was good the entire time. I actually look forward to dropping a small screw on the ground so I can find it. LOL. Iron sights are perfect.

Had mine done about 3 years ago could,nt be happier

I am going in for eye surgery (cataract+glsucoms) in september. I will ask the doctor.
Thanks for the info @Sourdough
Krish

@krish if you've got insurance covering this they probably won't pay for the Symfony lens but you just pay the difference between what insurance covers and the actual cost. You'll love it.

I'm 51 and have needed contact lenses for 5 years now. Prior to that I had great vision. Reading all of these testimonials makes me really want to look into this option. Even with contacts, I still have a rough time getting a good sight picture with iron sights. I miss being able to see well!

46 here, have worn glasses since I was 10, contacts from 13 till a couple years ago when my arms also became mysteriously too short, then it was contacts plus readers, and then last fall I was prescribed no-line bifocals to wear most days due to dry eyes causing problems with daily contact wearing (I still wear contacts part of the time, rotating with glasses)...
Perhaps it's time to look into alternatives such as this.
Thanks for sharing your story, your story has definitely given me something to think about / look into. (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VioletteFg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!