Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, SCI, NRA, RMEF
Hunted
USA, RSA, Canada, Namibia, New Zealand, Mexico
Has anybody stayed there recently? A couple of months ago I booked a night at the Afton Guest house along with met and greet and rifle import. I have been trying to get a hold of them for a week by email and they have not responded to my messages.

Just curious if someone knows what's going on.

New management.

That's what I was afraid of. I leave in 10 days. Kinda close to get change reservations with rifle import.

I stayed there two times last month - very happy with them. Have you been trying to contact Engie or somebody else there?

I know they are doing a little bit of construction, expanding their facilities and investing in the property. I was told they are wanting to expand their rifle storage and trophy room. I didn't stay there before the new management, but like it enough that I plan on staying there every time I need to overnight in Johannesburg.

Been trying to get a hold of Engie using the general email on their website.

Here is what I have for Engee (just noticed I misspelled his name above and I HATE to misspell somebody's name) :
info@aftonsafarilodge.co.za
aftongh@netactive.co.za

When Engee emails me back, it is from the second address.

I don't want to put personal cell phone info on the web, but if he doesn't contact you, PM me and I will send you contact numbers for him and the others that I have.

My last trip home just one month ago, the airline would not let me bring my arrows home (even though their website says I can check them and it wasn't a problem flying over on their airline, ETIHAD!!). I called Afton House and they sent a runner over to the ticket counter to get my arrows and store them at the Afton Safari Lodge. I got confirmation from Engee that the arrows were brought back to the house and are there waiting for me - lucky for me because the manufacturer is out of stock and wouldn't have more until after my next hunt. I will be getting my arrows from them when I arrive and then head out to my next hunt in less than a week. Lucky for me, as that was $595 USD worth of arrows that I didn't have to throw away because of an airline employee who doesn't understand their own rules even when shown to him on their own website. I would never get that kind of service from Holiday Inn. The Afton Safari Lodge is owned and operated by hunters, for hunters. The benefits of that are hard to quantify, but examples like mine are easy to understand and appreciate. I will be giving them all my business in Joburg for the foreseeable future.

Interesting that they are not returning emails.

Here is what I have for Engee (just noticed I misspelled his name above and I HATE to misspell somebody's name) :
info@aftonsafarilodge.co.za
aftongh@netactive.co.za

When Engee emails me back, it is from the second address.

I don't want to put personal cell phone info on the web, but if he doesn't contact you, PM me and I will send you contact numbers for him and the others that I have.

My last trip home just one month ago, the airline would not let me bring my arrows home (even though their website says I can check them and it wasn't a problem flying over on their airline, ETIHAD!!). I called Afton House and they sent a runner over to the ticket counter to get my arrows and store them at the Afton Safari Lodge. I got confirmation from Engee that the arrows were brought back to the house and are there waiting for me - lucky for me because the manufacturer is out of stock and wouldn't have more until after my next hunt. I will be getting my arrows from them when I arrive and then head out to my next hunt in less than a week. Lucky for me, as that was $595 USD worth of arrows that I didn't have to throw away because of an airline employee who doesn't understand their own rules even when shown to him on their own website. I would never get that kind of service from Holiday Inn. The Afton Safari Lodge is owned and operated by hunters, for hunters. The benefits of that are hard to quantify, but examples like mine are easy to understand and appreciate. I will be giving them all my business in Joburg for the foreseeable future.

I am trying to do business with them this time. But if they will not return emails....how can I do business with them?

I have had problems with them also. Not emailing me the rifle permit documents as promised, not returning emails, not in the office when I call.

I did finally get an email response from the info@ email address that is listed above. It looks like they changed email addresses and the old address is still listed on the website.

I had zero problems with Africa Sky last year, thinking they will get my business again. If something is fouled up now chances are it will be fouled up later.

Not to rehash old shit..... the old owner had cancer battle if not mistaken.... then his wife & daughter took over.... did a fine job. She was over here stateside, spending time in both places. Eventually, selling out. Original folks were good people. But problems started with failing health. Understandably so.... that goes back to 2013-14

Thanks to Dan with Limcroma Safaris, I got a hold of Richard with Afton house this morning. As several people speculated, it was an email delivery issue. Now I just have to wait for 11 days until my safari!!!!

Afton Safari Lodge News

Thank you for the opportunity to hear complaints, as it is the only way we can improve.

It has been two months since taking over the legendary Afton and while there is much to report on, there are certainly some glitches that we are not proud of. Be they emails missed, or no dinners served on site for the first 6 weeks, or a client left at the airport, we have slipped up. However with every incident, we have dedicated a thorough investigation and taken serious steps to address them all.

We hate slipping up and our commitment is there. We have recruited a full time cook so catering is sorted and for those who have been there in the past month, you will attest to the other changes made on site.

And with an additional team member in the office from 3 July, to ensure emails, permits and all admin is addressed immediately; we hope you see we are serious about service levels.

Regards,

Afton Safari Lodge Team

Man that was a rollercoaster of emotions reading that haha. I am staying there this Sunday night and it will be my first Safari. I hadn't had any issues dealing with them to plan everything but my last correspondence was about a month ago. I'm glad to see that issues are being resolved!

Thanks to Dan with Limcroma Safaris, I got a hold of Richard with Afton house this morning. As several people speculated, it was an email delivery issue. Now I just have to wait for 11 days until my safari!!!!

No worries Mr. Erny...! I'm glad that we were able to make the connection for you. Safe travels, and have a great safari!

Just a quick follow-up comment on this subject.... For us folks here in North America, please understand that the internet, WiFi, cell, and email service that we enjoy is light years ahead of those services in Africa. It is not an excuse, but it is unfortunately fairly common for some of these providers in Africa to have gaps in service that result in undelivered emails, missed phone calls etc,.. Often for days at a time.... I can personally attest to this with email communication issues between myself and the RSA office. There are many times when I send an email that doesn't show up in their inbox for days, or on a rare occasion, not at all...

As far as outfitters go, it is also important to understand that not only are they subject to these same service provider issues, they are also hunting every day during the peak months of season which is mid-May through September. @BRICKBURN wisely eluded to this in an earlier post, and it is something to consider when you are trying to correspond directly with an outfitter who may also be PH-ing hunts himself. Some of these PH/outfitters may be in areas with little or no service of any kind.... Again not an excuse to fail to reply, but patience may be required of some of these guys who do not have full-time office personnel or US based reps who are immediately available to reply... Please give them a break and make a few different attempts to make contact before posting a salty comment... I can assure you that no reputable outfitter is deliberately avoiding a reply to a client inquiry... (y) Thanks!

Last edited:
I have personally enjoyed Afton House hospitality in June 2017, under the new management.
I have nothing but good things to say about my experience. Since I still have one of their business cards on hand, I though I should share their full contact info in case their email service drops again.

upload_2017-7-6_15-13-47.png

Mr. X is the best! He is south African institution unto himself. What a great character!

Richard also sent me a photo of the meet & greet area at OR Tambo (Jo'burg airport) that may be helpful for first-time visitors to know what to expect and where to meet Mr. X.... This is the place you will come to after collecting your bags and following the signs to ground transportation/arrivals. Although, this photo must have been taken at 3am on a holiday because I have never seen it this quiet ever...

or tambo.jpg

Thanks for that pic! I'll file that away in the memory for Monday morning!

Any more update and feedback regarding Afton House would be appreciated.
Any alternative suggestions?

I am headed there as soon as I land to pick up my arrows. Engee responded to my text and he has my stuff there. I have an elephant to put there as well.

I think things are fine from what I can tell.

3 days ago I emailed Africa Sky and Afton and received a timely response from both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.