Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa
Finished reading this tonight and sad it is over. I have read some of the stories elsewhere but good to run into them again. Engaging writing style, great stories, lame illustrations. Not very expensive on Amazon-can’t remember where I heard about this one, if it was from someone here on ah.com-Thank You!
image.jpg

I enjoyed reading this about a year ago, near the "beginning" of the pandemic. I posted this short comment about the book on another website:

I just finished reading this book and enjoyed it. Robert F. Jones (1934-2002), was a journalist / sportswriter, novelist, and columnist for Shooting Sportsman. African Twilight is a collection of short stories based on multiple safaris in East Africa between 1964 and 1990. Only some of the safaris involved hunting. His first safari was shortly after Kenyan independence. The last one, circa 1990, was to investigate how things had deteriorated after Kenya’s hunting ban. Hence the title – African Twilight.

His PH was Bill Winter, whose hunting career ended when, after being charged by a buffalo and finding the dead buffalo on top of him, pleaded with the client not to shoot. Despite his pleas, the client shot and the bullet went through the buffalo and shattered the PH’s ankle. This story appears in the book, but also in Brian Herne’s White Hunters.

I found it an enjoyable read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristinaD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!