African Trophy Export real time follow along

Just a quick follow up, I have an appointment to drive out to Sea-Tac Thursday morning, to collect my crate. Unfortunately, Turkish Air added a wonderful surprise “storage fee” of $870. Not that there’s anything I can do about it. The good news is it’s arrived, all cleared, and ready to pick up.
Man.. My heart goes out to ya!! I just read this whole thread and it sounds like a NIGHTMARE!! I'll be going in my first African Hunt in 2025.. Planning to do Euro Mountsand get the hides tanned (Kudu. Black Wildebeest. Gemsbok, Zebra, Warthog, Red Hartebeest, and M
Maybe Eland). I'm hoping in 2yrs things will be better! I'd love to do a shoulder mount.. But after reading costs from previous posts.. I don't know.. LOL

Reactions: USN
Back from cruise, was out of the country so couldn’t update real time as I intended. Crate finally at coppersmith Dallas. Woo hooo after getting bumped 4 or 5 times with Turkish air paid around 50 more to ship delta. Bobby with coppersmith was cc’ing me on all emails and of course my paperwork wasn’t with the crate. I was watching the a flurry of emails between ATE & coppersmith trying to locate documents, ATE had even applied for duplicate originals. First thing Monday the docs were delivered by I assume delta. Just waiting on fish and game now. “I think” .. this is why I chose to use an importer. I pay them money and they deal with all the BS. Hope this is the last hurdle before delivery to OKC. My luck it will show up here while on my next hunt in May. Really rethinking this whole shipping thing. Pics maybe the way to go. Hopefully more soon

Just a quick follow up, I have an appointment to drive out to Sea-Tac Thursday morning, to collect my crate. Unfortunately, Turkish Air added a wonderful surprise “storage fee” of $870. Not that there’s anything I can do about it. The good news is it’s arrived, all cleared, and ready to pick up.
The surprise fees suck but at least you will be picking up the good stuff. Enjoy my friend you earned every bit of it

I’m starting to agree with your comment ……”pics may be the way to go”……..
I spoke with quite a few folks at SCI about cull hunts. Basically shoot a bunch, take lots of pics, enjoy and head home.

Reactions: USN
Wooo hooo just received and paid the bill coppersmith DFW and the crate of misery should be headed Okc soon. 29x29x48 1160.00 to coppersmith so not bad especially because they dealt with the whole ATE Turkish air fiasco. Hopefully no more people to pay besides taxidermy work here for the sable and kudu. Everything else is euro and one zebra rug/skin. Can’t wait. Hope this is of help to others. Still haven’t got it yet but damn sure closer to done.

Much bragging Bobby at coppersmith kept me informed and even reached out on a Saturday outstanding service!

Just paid the other day with SCS for shipping to Atlanta. Hopefully will have a AWB soon.

I have been watching this thread as I also used ATE for our hunt from last year. ATE received my trophies for crating on Feb 3rd.. They were ready to ship about Mar 10th but Turkey had issues with Earthquakes and such. Left JoBerg via Turkey on Mar 17th and arrived in Toronto Mar 20th. I was using Rigel Logistics in Sakatchewan and they did an outstanding job. Sat in TO till Mar 28th and arrived in Edmonton on the 28th after Rigel kept after Cargo Freight inTO. Cleared customs in Edm on the 31st of March. Were suppoded to be picked up by Day & Ross Trucking and delivered to Saskatoon. They drug their feet but finally picked up on Apr 18th and arrived in Saskatoon on Apr 19th and to my place on the 20th. Rigel stepped up again getting Day & Ross to do something and had them give us in writing that they would cover storage fees at the Airport. Bet that hurt! ATE had done a great job of crating. African Wildlife Artistry did all Taxidermy and did a very good job. A few glitches with communication and paperwork with ATE but all issues were resolved quickly and I would use them again. Rigel Logistics was outstanding .

I have been watching this thread as I also used ATE for our hunt from last year. ATE received my trophies for crating on Feb 3rd.. They were ready to ship about Mar 10th but Turkey had issues with Earthquakes and such. Left JoBerg via Turkey on Mar 17th and arrived in Toronto Mar 20th. I was using Rigel Logistics in Sakatchewan and they did an outstanding job. Sat in TO till Mar 28th and arrived in Edmonton on the 28th after Rigel kept after Cargo Freight inTO. Cleared customs in Edm on the 31st of March. Were suppoded to be picked up by Day & Ross Trucking and delivered to Saskatoon. They drug their feet but finally picked up on Apr 18th and arrived in Saskatoon on Apr 19th and to my place on the 20th. Rigel stepped up again getting Day & Ross to do something and had them give us in writing that they would cover storage fees at the Airport. Bet that hurt! ATE had done a great job of crating. African Wildlife Artistry did all Taxidermy and did a very good job. A few glitches with communication and paperwork with ATE but all issues were resolved quickly and I would use them again. Rigel Logistics was outstanding .
What was total Rigel charged? How big was crate? Was yours finished mounts or D&P only?

I have crate 172 KG 22 D&P animals, almost ready to ship, still waiting for a final updated lion permit in SA, going to Vancouver. I plan on clearing myself, (have done last 4) but when I called Rigel there were to many unknowns that scared me. Can you provide your costs?

Thanks

MB

Crate was 5ft x 4ft x4ft. 488lbs.Freight was $5000.00 including insurance from Jo Berg to Edmonton. Al finished mounts,Euros and hides. No cities animals. Rigel was $350.00 Airline terminal, freight handling
$350.00. CFIA Inspection $75.00. Trucking from Edmonton to my place south of Saskatoon $375.00.

Thanks, that's in line with what they told me. Not sure about CFIA inspection on finished work but I have been warned its basically "don't ask questions just pay" sort of thing. My raw D&P will be a little different, more detailed inspections.

Thanks

MB

Thanks, that's in line with what they told me. Not sure about CFIA inspection on finished work but I have been warned its basically "don't ask questions just pay" sort of thing. My raw D&P will be a little different, more detailed inspections.

Thanks

MB
You will pay CFIA whether they inspect it or not. At least they were quick.

On a side note I would be very concerned trying to bring in a Lion on my own. Rigel knows all the hurdles and how to deal with them. Worth every penny in my opinion.

I did leopard, ele, buff and all PG without issues, will see how this goes. Lion needs export permit only, no import so as long as SA docs are perfect I am hoping it all goes well. Confirmation calls to CSBA and CFIA Vancouver all seam to align with what their sites say. Also have confirmation emails from CITES Ottawa. I have purchased a leakproof sealed plastic crate in SA for shipment. Same costs as wood but meets Canadian rule.

I can drive to Van spend the day with one hotel night and clear cheaper than what was quoted for shipping crate Van to home.

I may sing a different tune after this clearance but certainly hope all goes well and to put clearing companies money towards next trip.

I will post how things go.

MB

You will pay CFIA whether they inspect it or not. At least they were quick.
Did you pay tax? As in PST, GST or both on your completed trophies?

I have never paid tax on D&P, when I came home on my tax declaration I spoke to CSBA officer and had him add memo on the form where it states I have none accompanied purchases still coming at a later date. I have always taken this form when I clear crates.

I am reading here that some have paid tax when crate arrives. Figured you would know, although yours was finished product, I believe that is considered art and taxed? Can you confirm or deny??

Thanks

MB

Yes I paid GST on the value of the taxidermy.

Interesting thread, especially experiences of other Canadians. I was ripped off by shipper Rex Forwarders the last go round. Taxidermist gave it to them without even telling me the job was done. And I did NOT want Rex handling my stuff after their Twilight Zone handling of the first shipment. Then Rex sends me a one line email: send us $2K or else. This is for eight skulls (not fancy plaque mounts) and two rolled up tanned capes. I questioned this. Outfitter contacted taxidermist, taxidermist was told by Rex it's because freight rates jumped 2.5x since first shipment. But when my customs broker sent me copies of Turkish Air freight, the crate shipped for only $820 Joberg to Toronto. So a larger crate shipped a year earlier went the same air freight line the same distance for just $365? Yeah, right! Rex pocketed $1200 for what? Only thing itemized on the invoice they sent the customs broker (not to me!) was "$2K+ As Agreed". Yep, that's all they put on the bill of lading. I guess they looked after SA vet inspection, booked the air freight (which I paid for), and drove the crate to the airport.

What's up with freight outfits doing the packaging? That's the taxidermist's job. Sounds like some double dipping.

This time I will be personally negotiating with freight companies. That will NOT be done by the taxidermist. And my trophies WILL NOT leave the taxidermist until I have a contract with shipper. And I will drive two days to Toronto to guide my stuff through customs and inspections. I've had it with brokers dropping the ball (Cole Intl) and freight truck companies who don't track shipments (Manitoulin).

Dealing with dip and pack capes in Canada is a huge hassle. I have mine tanned over there. Much easier to get tanned hides through inspections. I also have skulls for those animals in case something goes wrong with cape I'll still have something to put on the wall besides horns nailed to a board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!