channelkat

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Mozambique
If I found and a taxidermist who was exceptional with North American stuff, but limited experience with African game, would they likely be a safe bet, or is African taxidermy really that specialized?

I am still searching past posts and scouring the web trying to get a taxidermist plan for my first trip. Would appreciate your thoughts on the subject!

No doubt there are differences mostly learning how to deal with less than ideal capes and fixing more issues BUT if they exceptional with North America I’m betting they’d be pretty good with African also especially if they are willing to study the different anatomical nuances.

Talk to the taxidermist that you are thinking of using here in the US and see if he has any examples of African animals that he has done.

I had all of my taxidermy from my first safari done by a taxidermist that I had used before. And I had one animal out of five not come out just how I wanted it. But talking to him I found out that it was one of his apprentice that had done the work. While it wasn't exactly how I wanted it I was still pretty satisfied.

Another thing to consider is cost and time. My taxidermist trippled his prices and is 15 months out from the time that he receives the skins and horns so I opted to have last years hunt done in South Africa. I should be receiving an email any day now saying that they are here in the US, 8 months after my hunt.

Shipping will be more but I believe that I am saving money having the mounts done in South Africa and then shipped to me.

But you also need to check out the work that they do in South Africa. What are you going to do if there is a problem with the mounts?

@JimP triple the price ?? Even in these days triple seems excessive. $900 impala to $2,700 impala mount ?

@JimP triple the price ?? Even in these days triple seems excessive. $900 impala to $2,700 impala mount ?
He came close to doubling the price of North American game and really went out of sight with African game animals so much that he doesn't even list them on his price sheet. He just list them a POR )price on request.

I haven't even talked to him in a couple of years to see what is going on.

A great north America taxidermist can do any animal that you throw in front of him. Even if he has done one or not. Key word GREAT . I would try and find one who has spent time in Africa. Look at some mounts he did for himself.
Most Taxidermist hate the repairs and hard to deal with skins from Africa. So their heart is not in it.
Most hunters have no clue what goes into an African mount to make it a great mount.
I see a lot of guys that are happy with their cheap mounts from Africa, but the quality of a lot of them are pure junk. Not all, don't get me wrong I've seen some great taxidermy out of a few shops in Africa.
Shipping on finished mounts is getting very high along with everything else in the world. Ive seen some with 4 or 5 mount not skulls but actual shoulder mounts topping the $ 5000.00 mark. That's $1000.00 shipping per head. Choose your taxidermist carefully.

He came close to doubling the price of North American game and really went out of sight with African game animals so much that he doesn't even list them on his price sheet. He just list them a POR )price on request.

I haven't even talked to him in a couple of years to see what is going on.

He dosent want the African mounts if that's the case.

But that said, was this taxidermist one of those cheaper than dirt taxidermist ,that finally saw the light and raised his prices to where he should have been a long time ago. I know some taxidermist that are charging 1100 for impala but dont know any that are 1600 to 2000 .

He dosent want the African mounts if that's the case.

But that said, was this taxidermist one of those cheaper than dirt taxidermist ,that finally saw the light and raised his prices to where he should have been a long time ago. I know some taxidermist that are charging 1100 for impala but dont know any that are 1600 to 2000 .

No he wasn't. Covid hit his shop hard and it was down to just him doing any work from caping to the final work. He was even shut down for a while when he had it.

My first impala was $450 compared to a mule deer at $550. Now the mule deer is closer to $900. Elk are $1200-$1600

Thanks folks. The taxidermy side of things probably stresses me the most. I have only ever worked with one taxidermist on my first pronghorn. Might have been shy of B&C. I think he sold my mount, never did receive it. At that time, I was rushing to get home (kids were just born) and only did some cursory research on the guy.

No he wasn't. Covid hit his shop hard and it was down to just him doing any work from caping to the final work. He was even shut down for a while when he had it.

My first impala was $450 compared to a mule deer at $550. Now the mule deer is closer to $900. Elk are $1200-$1600
All he did was get in line with current pricing

Pretty well demonstrates where the guy wants to focus his work.

All he did was get in line with current pricing
Yep seen it a lot. He was barely clearing 50.00 for 12 hours labor. Yes thats a hair above 4 bucks an hour. Covid came along and taught him how to do math. Found out he was doing mounts going in the hole or for free !! Boom..... new price that's in line with most taxidermist that weren't working for free, so he started charging what he could make money at. Those prices are about where good taxidermy in the USA is priced at.

In all probability, a really good NA taxidermist will do good work on African game. However, there are a lot of taxidermists in NA that have done some, to a lot of African mounts. I’d go with one of them. You just spent a lot of $$$ on a safari, why risk it?
With the internet and all of the ability to see and review their work, just do your research.

My neighbor is a taxidermist and is having a terrible time getting North American animal forms let alone African forms. Inexperience with African game and extremely long wait times convinced me to use a reputable taxidermist over there but you can figure on giving your savings back in shipping costs. My advice would be to also check out some of the threads on shipping lately which with Russia talking about reducing oil production won’t improve any time soon.

If I found and a taxidermist who was exceptional with North American stuff, but limited experience with African game, would they likely be a safe bet, or is African taxidermy really that specialized?

I am still searching past posts and scouring the web trying to get a taxidermist plan for my first trip. Would appreciate your thoughts on the subject!
As a "hobbyist" taxidermist who does a professionals shops African mounts I say there is only one person who can answer your question.

That would be the taxidermist you have in mind, or want to do. From experience here in BC there are many taxidermists who are amazing artists but will NOT touch African stuff.

My boss says, why spend time with the horrible, salt dried, ripped, torn, cut & destroyed, rubber stuff when he can complete 3 NA animals in the same time without the headache and for more money for 3 vice 1 animal, a deer at $1000 does not mean an impala is $3000. He already has full regular customers and does not need the work, African stuff puts his regular customers work timelines further out. Hence that's why I am there, keeps me in the game for my own safari taxidermy.

I think and would hope that any taxidermist who is good at NA taxidermy certainly should have the capability to do the same level on African game, question is do they want too? I suggest we can answer any way we want, only person who has answer and willingness is your taxidermist.

MB

Never heard my Montana taxidermist complain about African animals being difficult to work with. He does utilize the Michigan tannery for them . His North American stuff goes to local tannery.
I would only give my African stuff to a taxidermist who does lots of African work. Probably not your local deer guy around the corner . I drive 2 hours to see my taxidermist.

The short answer is no. You want your taxidermist to have actually seen the animals in their natural habitat, otherwise they are just guessing what they should look like based on photos and books. Good news is there are quite a few taxidermists in the US that have been to Africa and even specialize in that. And of course some very skilled taxidermists in Africa.

Another way to think of it is imagine US Fish & Wildlife making policy on wildlife in a country they've never been to before. How good would they be? Same goes with the CITES folks making policy on wildlife in countries they never been to.

You have already received some sound advice, and I would agree that you would be better off overall if you used a taxidermist who has extensive experience with the species he/she is mounting regardless of the animals' native origin. I wouldn't want a taxidermist who predominantly does whitetails mounting my once in a lifetime tahr or chamois either.. Familiarity with the both the anatomy and natural presentations of a species goes a long way in the final outcome of the work regardless of how talented a taxidermist may be..

I personally take my taxidermy very seriously. I regard excellent taxidermy as art and the taxidermist as an artist. All taxidermist are NOT created equal and the old cliche that "you get what you pay for" is just as true for taxidermy as it is for any other quality work or service. That being said, with some research you can find a high quality taxidermist capable of doing an excellent job on your African animals at a competitive price. A few of the biggest names in US taxidermy are overly expensive because they are also famous. Nothing wrong with that if you can afford them, but they are not your only option for quality..

I would want to see some African game done by the taxidermist before using him (or her).

I recently transported my African trophies from the importer near the airport to a taxidermist that I chose after seeing some of his African game.

I got to witness the "uncrating"...

Good lord!
I bet the typical American taxidermist, has never seen such bad material to work with.

Skulls with mis-shapen, over-boiled, loose horns, hides like plywood, missing hair, you name it.

The taxidermist took it all in stride. He suggested that I spend an additional $250 over what he quoted me to get the horns of the cape buffalo back to a condition that resembled the picture of the fresh kill I had on my phone. NO PROBLEM.

I wasn't expecting the backskin of the buffalo, but it was in the crate. I wasn't planning to do anything with it, but he said he was going to have it tanned anyway and if I didn't want it he would just keep it. (I'll probably end up with it, because it had 2 old 50 caliber muzzleloader poacher bullet holes in it that had healed over).

He was also very helpful on determining the correct form to use. I thought I wanted a up-right or semi-upright mount. We discussed the room, I showed him pictures, and I ended up going with a "semi-sneak" form, otherwise I would have been mainly looking at the underside of the 'ole boy's neck.

A white-tailed deer shoulder mount is one thing. Understanding and knowing what will look good with African game is another.

From an African point of view i think it will be better to mount your African animals by an African Taxidermist. They are more familiar with the anatomy of African animals which ensure proper Manikens and a proper end result. Please feel free to visit our website to view some of the work done by us. Regards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you