African summer hunts?

Generally our American and European hunters book their visit for the Arrican winter months, but apart from October when it can be very hot the rest of the summer is quite reasonable. Ok, it is wet and the bush can get thick, but it is still huntable. So the question is, would any of you consider the December to say April period and what would incentivise you?
I have usually hunted Namibia in April and May. A bit of adjustment needs to be made in April,some days can be hot coming from the Northerm hemisphere which is still warming up. The temperature can be 30C+ which is a bit of a shocker for a day or two.

Did Mozambique's Delta in October for buffalo and PG - mainly to increase our chances to take a mature Livingstone Eland which are coming into rut at the end of that month. It was a great and very successful trip. HOWEVER, a number of nights were really uncomfortable trying to sleep atop the covers in a pool of sweat under a bug net as gazillions of mosquitoes droned a few inches away. I did get to see my first Gaboon Viper up close and personal on that trip, and I can honestly say that is the single most lethal looking serpent I have ever encountered (about five feet long, as big around as my forearm, and apparently armed with 2" fangs - didn't get to inspect those fortunately) :oops:

dsc01712-jpg.392197

But nope. Not going back between October and May.

Attachments

• DSC01712.JPG
    10.5 MB · Views: 270
Last edited by a moderator:
Did Mozambique's Delta in October for buffalo and PG - mainly to increase our chances to take a mature Livingstone Eland which are coming into rut at the end of that month. It was a great and very successful trip. HOWEVER, a number of nights were really uncomfortable trying to sleep atop the covers in a pool of sweat under a bug net as gazillions of mosquitoes droned a few inches away. I did get to see my first Gaboon Viper up close and personal on that trip, and I can honestly say that is the single most lethal looking serpent I have ever encountered (about five feet long, as big around as my forearm, and apparently armed with 2" fangs - didn't get to inspect those fortunately) :oops:

dsc01712-jpg.392197

Great photograph . There is evidently one happy bunny.

I live in Texas and prefer warmer weather. My last two hunts to South Africa were in March and October. I prefer the first week of October with less vegetation for places like Limpopo. March was too thick and a huge challenge. But I do like getting in close.

I can take a nap if it gets too hot! The early morning and evenings can be spectacular. October is a great time to bow hunt but March might be too difficult for bow hunters.

December to say April period and what would incentivise you? Once in a lifetime prices on Rhino, Elephant, Hippo, Crock.

Is that Southern Africa in general or specifically Mozambique/humid coastal areas? I’ve hunted NW Namibia and Caprivi in early Oct and late Oct, sometimes temperatures were over 100 but very little humidity still and surprisingly almost no bugs. Eastern Cape in March I found very pleasant, in coastal area around 80 with moderate humidity and Karoo probably pushing 90 with no humidity. Northern Australia in January during the wet season I think was too much for me though, never been so grateful for the hard 20 min rain every couple hours to push the mosquitoes away. We couldn’t turn on air conditioning in hunting vehicles or scopes would fog up. Hunting was great though.

I have hunted Botswana nov - des- jan- feb.... it is hot but dry, 36-40 + Cent.

The worst part is actually getting some sleep at night when you are remote with no A/C or fan..

Ok, I think everyone who was going to respond has, so we can probably wrap this one up with the general consensus being no, and the few who might be willing to go Dec to April would be incertivised by low prices.
Where this came from was a PH friend who is battling for business and would obviously be willing to take on any hunt, even in the 'off' season. Looks like that wouldn't be much of a starter. I may be wrong, but I dont think operators can go any further down in price, but that's between you and them. The other possibility might be that the fishing season runs opposite to the hunting season and just maybe there is an opportunity there.

Frankly Kevin...I think they need to cut prices even more to get some business as the situation is....painful as it might be..

Ok, I think everyone who was going to respond has, so we can probably wrap this one up with the general consensus being no, and the few who might be willing to go Dec to April would be incertivised by low prices.
Where this came from was a PH friend who is battling for business and would obviously be willing to take on any hunt, even in the 'off' season. Looks like that wouldn't be much of a starter. I may be wrong, but I dont think operators can go any further down in price, but that's between you and them. The other possibility might be that the fishing season runs opposite to the hunting season and just maybe there is an opportunity there.

I’ve been reading this with interest, as we are going to eastern cape, not far from grahamstown, first scheduled NOV20, then FEB21 and now rescheduled for JUN21, which should be, according to the responses, more appreciative weather than the first two dates. Especially concerning the mosquitoes, flies and others.

Thanks a lot for having started this thread Kevin!

Have bowhunted SA and Namibia 5 times in Oct. and it was very good, hot in Namibia once, 112 F but hunting was great. Going on a night baited predator hunt in Mid April this year and will see how it is then. I've never been in the green season and wanted to see the difference.

I grew up in Florida and live there now. I sent 10 years in the wonderful state of Wyoming and have done quite a bit of late season water fowling in Montana. Both climates are opposite ends of the spectrum temperature wise.
The hunting season in Namibia ends November 30th. I have hunted the Caprivi and Koakoland until the season closed in both areas of Namibia. Fortunately the rains held off until we moved south.
I hunted during those warmer months because I got a lot of trigger time finishing off the quota for the year. Hunting the less desirable warm months was the only way I could afford it.
I remember hearing some of the guys in camp commenting about how humid it was in the Caprivi at that time. I didn't think it was near as miserable as Florida in the summer?
Rain is THE factor along with the outfitters ability to keep the beer cold.
I have not yet spent a summer in Zimbabwe which may be worse? I can say that Botswana was warm in January.
I don't care to spend all day asshole deep in water but with elephant on the menu at the right price I wouldn't let the temperature stop me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg