Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Generally our American and European hunters book their visit for the Arrican winter months, but apart from October when it can be very hot the rest of the summer is quite reasonable. Ok, it is wet and the bush can get thick, but it is still huntable. So the question is, would any of you consider the December to say April period and what would incentivise you?

If the hunting is good, and grass not too long to be able to see etc. I’d do it, then again, I’m “heat seasoned” and not much bothered by temperature regardless if it's the tropics in the wet season or north Europe in the winter.

Generally our American and European hunters book their visit for the Arrican winter months, but apart from October when it can be very hot the rest of the summer is quite reasonable. Ok, it is wet and the bush can get thick, but it is still huntable. So the question is, would any of you consider the December to say April period and what would incentivise you?

Kevin plenty places/areas are too wet , and bush way too thick to be able to hunt....so not as easy as you make it sound....

Kevin plenty places/areas are too wet , and bush way too thick to be able to hunt....so not as easy as you make it sound....
Agreed, but many areas not so, like the sandy Save, our PH there would be delighted to accept some clients. The Zambezi Valley a totally different story - If you did get to camp you mey be there for months!

Yes, I would hunt in summer, in Africa, hoping to have appropriate off season discount.

Location and species hunted will make all of the difference in the world. Today, at our concession (Binga district) everything is very, very wet. Travel is difficult, some areas impossible. Loaded with elephant and will stay that way until May. Leopard at the moment a totally different story, again around May the story on leopard much different, they will be down in the lower less rocky areas.

I don't enjoy hunting in hot and miserable conditions, in the slightest.

I booked my hunt in eastern cape in March last year in part because the weather is still cold and days still somewhat short in Pennsylvania and nothing is green yet. I really enjoy being home May-early September because the weather is it’s best, long days, and everything is green. I’d rather go to Africa and see the sun and heat when the weather is less than ideal at home. I’m not an archery hunter so I’ve booked several hunts in October, never had an issue with the heat, seen it much worse in west Texas. I’ve gotten to take advantage of end of year remaining quota too and had great hunts. I would need to discuss visibility for hunting with outfitter before taking a hunt in December-April timeframe before booking.

I would definitely look into going to hunt in Africa during the October to March period. For one, it would be a nice change of temperature, give us some good sun for the winter months in Europe.

But the main reason would be for me my partner. For her the trip would be much more enjoyable if she can profit from high heat, maybe a swimming pool, or the beach (if going not too far from the coast) she is from Martinique after all, so holidays for her need to be sunny.

Personally I do not really care either way, although I'd rather be in shorts and warm temperatures, than my big winter coat (I do that in Scotland). Also off-season does make it a bit attractive for me, as it would be less busy I suppose.

There are a few disincentives, playing a numbers game. Compared to the colder months.

220px-Amblyomma-variegatum-male.jpg
snake.jpg
Chelicerae_Opistophthalmus_pugnax.jpg

@BRICKBURN
I appreciate the comment but the pictures give me creeps, and second thoughts!

Reactions: CJW
I am wondering what the differences in answers will be between north and south United States? Getting out of Texas or Arizona in July and going to cooler temperatures in Africa, I would think is a vacation. Northern United States, I think other months are better to leave for a vacation.

Early March, and it's supposed to reach 89 degrees in Tucson today. The Arizona Desert early archery deer hunt in August, can be a miserable affair. Flies, Hornets, Bee's, Gnat's, Snakes, and assorted creepy crawlies. ....
I imagine the hot months in Africa are not much different.

Brickburn beat me to the creepy crawly stuff and don’t forget the flying atrocities-those are busy months in a family household while the “summer” months in America the kids are out of school and my wife isn’t at work so we have more freedom to vacation in June through august.

Nope. Hunted Zim from April 1 and it rained so much we could not get to all the areas we needed to get to. It cost me lots of money in lost opportunities and I would not recommend it.

Many operators close their camps down in the off-season, allowing the staff to go "home" and the camp is partially dis-assembled during the down time. It would take a lot of effort to re-open the camp for just one hunt, and the difficulties of weather and rains make it unlikely anyone would want to.

For me the appeal of hunting in African Winter months is mild temperatures and no rain. Get plenty of that here in the States in the fall and winter.

Here in Minnesota, the land of 10,000 lakes, we have beautiful summer months with swimming, etc. I’m ok missing part of that to hunt Africa.
I would much rather hunt in snow than rain, so a rainy season hunt, I’m not too interested. I think the hottest weather I have ever hunted in is around 85-90 degrees (idaho and Namibia). It is hard to imagine hunting in truly hot weather. But I suppose for another person, the cold is equally as foreign a concept to hunt in -15 F, which is common in December here.

PHs were telling us how flooded the Caprivi (Zambezi/Chobe rivers) gets at times-boats everywhere, talking about hunting buff on islands! 'Growing up alongside a large river, i'm intrigued by perhaps giving it a go for lechwe, hippo and buff oneday. Agree on the Save (Love that area! and likely similar along the Limpopo?)

I would definitely look into going to hunt in Africa during the October to March period. For one, it would be a nice change of temperature, give us some good sun for the winter months in Europe.

But the main reason would be for me my partner. For her the trip would be much more enjoyable if she can profit from high heat, maybe a swimming pool, or the beach (if going not too far from the coast) she is from Martinique after all, so holidays for her need to be sunny.

Personally I do not really care either way, although I'd rather be in shorts and warm temperatures, than my big winter coat (I do that in Scotland). Also off-season does make it a bit attractive for me, as it would be less busy I suppose.

Well she might not be very happy as you could end up with rain most of the time and it being very cool ...just lit the fire as been raining for ages and cold...so if she aint happy you definitely ain't going to be.....as phillip said you possibly would end up not being able to hunt because it was raining...and dont say I dont mind a bit of rain ,as then you obviously have no idea of how it can come down here......and depending on countries as I said you cant get into let alone around the areas , or see anything as the bush is too thick ....it can actually be pretty miserable when its raining...wet ..damp and cold...the first photo was taken a month ago...its even thicker and wetter now...as I have said previously if you want hot...mid sept to beginning of nov...but chance of rains by then...but not usually big or long lasting
20210215_163307.jpg

20210308_113325.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RXQLela937

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber