African rifles that will never see Africa

RolandtheHeadless

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Last June I went buffalo hunting in Zambia with a .416 Remington Mag. It was great.

But all the hand-stands and hoop-jumping you have to do to take a rifle into Africa makes me wonder if that rifle will ever see Africa again. Next time I might just leave my rifles behind and borrow or rent one from the outfitter.

I see others here talk, however regretfully, about doing the same thing. They own fine, big-bore, even double-rifles, yet on their next trip they will leave these lovelies behind and rent one from the outfitter.

So I'm wondering how many here own fine African rifles that will never see Africa. In addition to the .416, I own a .375 that will probably never go, though it may be used for a bear hunt here at home.

What is the solution to this dilemma?

My guess is that there are more "African" rifles that will never see the dark Continent than those that do. The best most guys can do is pick one up when it is available, put it in the safe and hope/pray that someday they will be able to use it.

I'm just not at that point yet. I don't like hunting with rifles I haven't shot, and being left handed makes it worse now that I've converted to left hand rifles.

Right now at least if I'm going to Africa so is my rifle. Now I may end up with rifles that don't get to see Africa, but that will be because they weren't my first choice or didn't fit the hunt. I have a Lott now that is waiting on an elephant hunt.

I have a 375 ruger alaskan. Its been to Africa but didn't need it. This year hunting cape buffalo and will use ph's rifle it will be identical but a 416 ruger. I will practice with mine.

I've got plenty that will probably never see Africa, not that it bothers me to travel with them, just that out of the 5 or 6 375's, I prefer to beat the hell out of one of them. Same with the 416's and 458's. I had one hunting rifle when I was a kid so now I over indulge, maybe my kids will take some of them on their trips but I doubt I will get them all their in my lifetime nor will I quit adding more of them to the armory.
Cheers,
Cody

I have a .375 H&H I am picking up this week. I doubt it will go to Africa - I only bought it because I cannot get my bow permit and must use a rifle on my elephant. That was the largest caliber rifle I could get at my local shop on such short notice. I am just glad we don't have this issue with bows, because it is not really feasible to borrow a bow, given how much needs to be customized on one.

I suspect very few, if any, of my guns will ever make it to Africa.

I've been once, and am booked again this June. I don't know how many more times, if any I'll get to go. But I am fairly stubborn on some things. I'll hunt with my own guns or not at all. A few weeks ago I bought "Fluffy" a CZ in . 416 Rigby, with the intention of an elephant someday. If not she at least deserves a chance at Buffalo. As long as there are folks on the Africa side that can help, and I can afford it, I'll bring my guns. Even though it makes more financial and logistical sense to use the PH's guns. Another factor is that many "Africa" guns are far too beautiful and valuable to risk getting banged up on the bush or stolen in the city ( by cops or crooks).

I found taking my 375 to South Africa was a lot easier than I thought it would be. The obligatory "tip" was annoying but harmless. I will be taking several rifles to Namibia in 2018. I wouldn't hesitate to take the rifle you want on the trip of your dreams.

i'll be odd man out and say i have and will take my rifles. understand all the reasons not to take them - and don't disagree with them. they are a significant investment, but i'm a pragmatist and not going to buy it if not going to use it for it's purpose. suppose i'm also sentimental about it and want to take trophies with my guns - to be able to look at and use them later - reminisce about the memories of the safari.

Going touring this time and thats why I am not taking mine. Probably have my suitcase full of stuff

My rifles have seen lots of travel time I wouldn't leave home without them. Yes I have had my share of airline, customs, TSA fun but its part of the price you pay. Why buy the guns if you aren't going to use them, just doesn't make sense to me to travel on dream hunts and use some "rental" gun. Maybe I am crazy but my best guns always go with me. And I don't give one rats ass either if I scratch them or ding them etc on a hunt gives em character! Besides I know the story behind every mark on them. I think as one gets older you worry less about shit like that and just go have fun and roll with the punches and hassles.

the solution involves having politicians that have the ability to think independently and view evidence logically. I don't see that happening any time soon.

I have 2 rifles I bought specifically to take to Africa, a 9,3x62 Husqvarna and a .375 H&H Whitworth Express. I am taking the .375 next year and hopefully will be taking the Husky a year or 2 later. I have used them both locally on whitetails so they don't just sit in the safe but I got them for Africa and good lord willing they will both go. I suppose I would use a rental if there were no other option but I would really hate too.

I took my 416 Ruger and my Ruger 270 win to Africa. I doubt either will see Africa again because next go round for pg I'll be taking different rifles. Once I get to do another DG hunt I'll be taking my 375 H&H instead of the 416. I'm proud of the battle wounds my 416 received hunting lion and buff though. I probably won't use it much other than just target shooting and hog extermination but I smile every time I look at the forward side of the barrel where the finish is worn down from miles of it being slung over my shoulder in the bush. When I went to Romania I borrowed a rifle and it didn't bother me but it would have been nice to have had my own guns. Using a loner didn't take away from the experience one bit though.

I like using my rifles - I know them intimately - particularly their trigger pulls. More importantly my soul leaves bit of itself behind whenever I use them - as did the previous owner(s) if an older rifle. I am not willing to lose that so long as importation is at least possible. And I am happy to pay an expeditor to deal with most of the headaches.

I guess I have a little different opinion on traveling with rifles. I went on my first trip to Africa last year and since it was very short notice I choose to rent rifles. I own several that I would have really liked to take with me. I reload for each and practice with them frequently. I am blessed to have a 300 yard private range on the backside of my property. However, I despise hassles worse than not taking my owns rifles. So last year with such short notice I left them behind.

Fast forward to this year. I am leaving for Africa in a couple of weeks. I had planned to take my rifles this year. However, I am hunting with the same outfitter as last year and had very good luck with the rentals. After much thought, and with the knowledge that I will be using the same rifles as last year I have come to the conclusion that rifle rental is the way to go. Why subject myself to all the BS in this country and over there just to simply take my own rifles? The ones I really want to take are a Pre 64 .375 H&H and .300 H&H If someone stole or damaged those rifles thru negligence it would ruin my trip, why take the chance?

I equate the issue of traveling with rifles to the idea of ever owning a boat again. I have owned several and love to fish. However now I own no boats, but have very good friendships with a few charter captains. I enjoy the thought of stepping on their boat and enjoying a great day of fishing, and at the end of the day I step off the boat with no other responsibilities. No boat to clean and maintain. In my mind the same applies to traveling with rifles to Africa.

Just my 2 cents

My rifles have seen lots of travel time I wouldn't leave home without them. Yes I have had my share of airline, customs, TSA fun but its part of the price you pay. Why buy the guns if you aren't going to use them, just doesn't make sense to me to travel on dream hunts and use some "rental" gun. Maybe I am crazy but my best guns always go with me. And I don't give one rats ass either if I scratch them or ding them etc on a hunt gives em character! Besides I know the story behind every mark on them. I think as one gets older you worry less about shit like that and just go have fun and roll with the punches and hassles.

I'm with you Buckdog - bought'em to use'em, not look at and admire them.

I've done both. 2011 Zimbabwe I brought my own. 2015 rented in New Zealand. 2016 rented in Mozambique. In the future I will bring mine and hope that another Africa trip will happen. Both rentals in New Zealand and Mozambique were quality firearms and optics. No issue there. Just prefer the familiarity of my own. Plus, my 375 H&H and 404J are CZ 550s. If there are nicks I don't care. So, now to the saving up part so I can hire travel with guns to make it easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg