African Oasis The Okavango Delta

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
https://www.nature.org/en-us/magazine/magazine-articles/okavango-delta-african-oasis/

To safeguard the Okavango Delta, one of the largest wetlands in the world, TNC is starting at the source.

At the height of Botswana’s six-month dry season, rainwater from Angola’s lush highlands spills into the heart of the Kalahari Desert in southern Africa, setting in motion an ecological spectacle unlike anywhere else on Earth. With the influx of 2.5 trillion gallons of water, the Okavango Delta—a permanent swamp surrounded by one of the continent’s driest expanses—doubles in size. Fueled by the promise of a fertile floodplain, some 200,000 large mammals return to the delta, now an oasis roughly half the size of Massachusetts.

The floodwaters usher in more than 700 species of mammals, birds, fish, amphibians, and reptiles. African fish eagles soar above prides of lions and the continent’s largest population of savanna elephants. Wild dogs prowl through thorn scrub as cheetahs stalk warthogs and wetland antelopes. Hippos and Nile crocodiles lurk among reeds and papyrus. The delta hums with life for several months until the floodwaters evaporate or recede into the red desert sands.

Screenshot_57.jpg

I never realized when I hunted the Okavango in 1990 that it would one day be closed to hunting.
The time I spent there hunting from foot, Land Rover and makoro holds my most treasured African memories, which for me at least will not be realized again.
Hopefully in the future it will be open again to at least limited hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,