AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
B,C. Canada Nevada,Ca. ,Georgia, Arkansas africa 1
Hey guys I just spoke to my USA taxidermist about my africa shipments , and he informed me that all back skins must now be shipped green and tanned over here, I have not researched this out, and I dont know if this is a new state {Idaho} reg. or a federal one, but something else to consider. maybe you all already knew this. But I didnt..

Is there a cleanliness issue or is someone being BS'ed? What if it's a full skin (that includes the back skin??) lol This sounds well thought out...but like Gov't.

Is there a cleanliness issue or is someone being BS'ed? What if it's a full skin (that includes the back skin??) lol This sounds well thought out...but like Gov't.
Im waiting on a quote from him tomorrow and then I will try and find out more, but he was serious and is a very long time reputable business.

1718748940809.png

That sounds crazy to me as well. I personally find the South African tanning to be superior to the US as they use the real caustic stuff our regulatory agencies balk at. Just kidding – a little bit. As stated above, this absolutely makes no sense. At least to me. Unless the US tanning lobby is more powerful than I would imagine. :)

Interesting. They didn't convey that message to me back in May when I was lining out my taxidermy in SA. Be interested to hear more on this.

Nope, nothing from USFW or Dept of Ag on this.

Maybe check with coppersmith or a similar importer and ask them what they have heard

Yes this would be troubling as I have some in RSA from this year.

I would assume tanned back skins are viewed as finished taxidermy, and it’s my understanding that finished taxidermy can not be shipped with dip&pack. This may have changed but things seem to never change in the hunters favor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyinglazyt