Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NFA, SCI, DU, CCFR, BCWF, African Gazete
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SA, Namibia, BC, AB, Ont
Hello All

My best bud and guy who taught me taxidermy has asked for some help. A mutual friends safari animals just got back from tannery. There will be 8 life-size, 1 lion and 1 lioness to start.

We have forms and stuff but I need clarification on the tail. Do you ever use cougar tail forms? I can find African lion tail forms from Van dykes, but am hesitant if that the route we should take?

We have done many a cougar but we do not do many African animals up here, this will be our first and second African lions, mine currently in SA will be our 3rd.

Any assistance will be appreciated. Tail form#?

Thanks

MB

If you end up using a Mnt Lion tail as an armature- here are two more from Research

there's no pic but McKenzie lists one

1643151277380.png

and another McKen

1643151355788.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 5.19.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 5.19.17 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 71
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 5.19.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 5.19.23 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
We've made wrapped tails from cotton batting and wire, and also have frozen clay tubes in the shape of the tail using the skin as a reference then shoved the frozen clay into the sewed up tail and a wire to follow, but that might get heavy for a lion tail.

Thanks @buck wild, was hoping you or Eric would provide your guidance. I did not see McKenzie's, we got 39" from tail skin, Van Dykes is 39". I want to order and use it, may delay finish by?? Shipping to Canada. We do have 40" cougar tails but measurements are same length but thinner.

He is an expert on wrapped cotton batting and wire, makes bird wings, small mammal legs and thicker muscles, but those are on hairy easy to hide NA species. I used the process to thicken and extend tail on my Aardvark, tedious with varied results, hard to get transitions correct on thin skin animals I find.

My vote is get the right one and wait to mount. I will present that plan.

Thanks

MB

Yeah I'd probably go with a thinner commercial tail and build up thickness with a little lightweight clay.

I once tried the create the tail bone joints by wrapping method and although it is realistic, not sure everyone that sees it understands and they just think it's lumpy :LOL: I think smooth is best.

1643215358005.png

The cougar tail off the shelf is a good start. We’d shape and add 2 part foam mix to add girth and length where needed and shave/carve to final size/geometry.

We have ordered the correct tail, may delay start and finish but will be proper to have right tail. Hunter also now wants OM, so jaws are on same order. Changing form to OM will take some planning and work.

Thanks for all the help. After lions its cheetah and hyena.

MB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!