www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
African hunting from Natal to the Zambesi
by William Charles Baldwin (1826-1903)

Harper & Brothers Publishers, New York

Book Digitized by Google
From 1852

The following pages, taken from my journals, were written, sometimes in ink, but often in pencil, and gunpowder, tea, etc., in Kaffir kraals or wagon bottoms, and chiefly for a brother's eye, I little thought that they would ever come before the public ; and it is only now, at the earnest solicitations of my friends, and almost promises made to many I left behind me at Natal, who noticed the once short trips grow longer and longer, till, in my last, 2000 miles of an almost unexplored country had been traversed and the Zambesi reached, that I am now induced, with some diffidence, to publish them.
Conscious that in going ten years back I am necessarily traveling over ground already preoccupied by other sportsmen and travelers, and that the hospitality of my friends in England, and days with the Quorn and Mr. Tailbys, combined with my natural aversion to any set task, have ill fitted me to redeem the monotony inseparable from a journal, or the apparent egotism in that of the lonely traveler, I nevertheless appear before the public with the hope that if again I should return to the land of my adoption, beginning my travels where I have now left off, I may hereafter produce something more worth their perusal.
[ END OF FIRST PARAGRAPH ]

Note: This online digitized book can be fully viewed online. Click here »

Last edited by a moderator:
William Charles Baldwin.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!