www.flickr.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Carolina, South Africa
When I decided to call this post “African Heart Shot” I did an internet search on the phrase to see if I was coining a new term or not. Google only shows one other time in the whole history of the Internet Universe where the term was used. A guy screen-named “Climate17” posting on another forum on June 9, 2013, in response to a thread about a gut-shot zebra wrote, “I guess that's what qualifies as an African heart shot!”

I don’t mean for my use of the term to be that derogatory - quite the opposite actually. It really started in my brain as a pun derived from the often used phrase, especially by Craig Boddington, “Texas Heart Shot” meaning a shot taken from directly behind an animal hoping the bullet will pass through the soft tissues of the innards and hit the heart. In my mind an “African Heart Shot” is that perfect broadside shot going straight up from the rear of the front leg for a third of the animal’s body. The "Africa" part come from a belief that every PH would want every client to always take an African Heart Shot.

In planning for my first Africa trip, I decided to take an African Heart Shot, in my case, on a Wednesday evening whitetail. It may surprise some but I usually shoot for the high shoulder. In something of a contrast, my dad, is a neck shooter. Dad is a committed deer hunter and a dedicated rifleman while I’m mostly a duck hunter. We shoot for different spots but for the same results, a DRT (“Dead Right There”) whitetail, because we live in the south.

Our woods are thick. We can’t see our feet and it’s usually too hot and wet to wear snake boots or chaps. The few places that are open enough to follow a blood trail are either seasonally flooded or near to permanent water so even a good blood trail can disappear with little hope of finding the floating whitetail that might have left it. I love were I grew up but I sometimes envy hunters from the north with their open woods or from the west where game can be watched for more than three steps after a shot. I knew Wednesday’s woods were thick but it’s been dry so I started the crosshairs on the back of the deer’s right from leg and worked up from there stopping when I eyeballed about one third of the deer’s thickness. I imagined away the branched antlers and replaced them with spiral horns before calmly squeezing the trigger.

The deer’s only reaction was to wheel back where he came from. With one-and-a-half steps he disappeared into a wall of gum saplings and brambles. I held my breath for a moment while listening for a crash and the brush-bucking death throes. Buck fever hit me before I could climb down from my stand. I took deep breath to replace the one I missed and to steady myself so I didn’t fall down the ladder. Safely on the ground I went to where I last saw the deer.

Bloodtrailing in the Southeast 101 – every November gum and bramble leaf looks like it has been smeared with blood so I quickly found what I thought might have been deer blood on a bramble leaf and rubbed it with my right thumb. It was just Autumn that was splashed on the leaf but I made things harder on myself by blooding my finger on the thorns that run the length of the vein on the backside of the leaf. Now everything I touch has a smear of blood on it…Ugh…

I did find some deer blood, luckily on some gum leaves so I knew I hadn’t missed. I literally waded through the first layer of briers to try to re-find the next spots of blood and that’s when it hit me. We’re in the middle of the rut and I could easily smell my deer. With no one to help look for blood and losing light quickly I put my nose into the wind and barreled through the brush. I almost tripped on the deer. I wish I had had the presence of mind to snap a picture of where the deer lay dead just 20 yards from where I shot him but invisible from more than about three feet away. I briefly fought a bramble bush that had claimed ownership of the deer’s antlers. I couldn’t free them from the tangled mess so, in frustration, I just started dragging. 8½ hardened points shredded brier thorns as my load finally lightened as I begun pulling the deer through the wake I myself was leaving in the gums and briers. In a few labored steps I got him to the opening where it all started.

Breathing heavily, I bothered to thank the Lord for a beautiful evening and make something of a loose promise to save the next African Heart Shot for Africa.

Sorry this was about the best photo I had...it was getting dark and I didn't have a "good" camera - just a cheap cell phone...you can see the shot just behind the front leg and about a third of the way up the body.

1636136390168.png

Nice mature buck !! That's about where I shoot all my deer.

Good, you are ready for Africa :D Cheers:

Congratulations on a nice buck. We are leaving tomorrow for an 8 day combination bow and rifle hunt in Michigan. I hope to encounter an equally or better endowed "relative."

Congratulations on a nice buck. We are leaving tomorrow for an 8 day combination bow and rifle hunt in Michigan. I hope to encounter an equally or better endowed "relative."
Good luck. Even our big deer are small by Michigan standards. I hope you kill a monster.

That leaf condition certainly would make for difficult tracking.

My unsolicited advice is to stop thinking about surface anatomy like 1/3 up the leg and start thinking about internal anatomy. Aim to take the great vessels off the top of the heart and you’ll have the widest margin of error from every angle. If we could always hit exactly what we are aiming at, we would be brain-shooting meat animals and severing the low cervical spine on trophy animals and never have to track anything. But both are unforgiving shots.

A friend of mine is bow hunting Whitetail in Upstate NY. He managed this shot on a doe at 40 yards from the tree stand that was nearly 30 feet above the ground.
1636889174612.png

Post mortem shows what an excellent shot he made. Deer ran 15 yards, staggered and dropped. I told him he's ready for Africa as well.
1636889050159.png

My unsolicited advice is to stop thinking about surface anatomy like 1/3 up the leg and start thinking about internal anatomy. Aim to take the great vessels off the top of the heart and you’ll have the widest margin of error from every angle. If we could always hit exactly what we are aiming at, we would be brain-shooting meat animals and severing the low cervical spine on trophy animals and never have to track anything. But both are unforgiving shots.
Haha.

First of all this was just prose not a how-to on shooting. I really wanted to go into how even antelope in Africa can be dangerous when wounded and how African trackers are tops at what they do but it was getting longer than I wanted.

Secondly, I tried to anticipate many of the knee jerk comments that the internet might have. I even anticipated the unsolicited advice about the 3-dimensional aspects of shooting that's why I used the phrase "perfect broadside shot" - meaning no angle so the animal's organs are exactly as represented in the "where to shoot an animal" books. Again, though, it's just prose.

Out of interest what firearm is that ? is it a combination gun ?

Are there seasonal changes in Africa regarding the change in the color of leaves and grass?

Are there seasonal changes in Africa regarding the change in the color of leaves and grass?
Makes zero difference our trackers and some of us can track a baboon over rocks....without blood...

heart shot on a kudu, .375 H&H magnum at about 125 yards. it still ran about 50-60 yards and piled up.

View attachment 435182
'Did the same on Kudu at closer range than that, using a .338-and it still made it 500 yds before piling up! African game of all weights are built MUCH tougher than that found in America!!! An impala a whitetail is NOT! You could take the TX heart shot in Africa using solids, but why? With softs, you likely just wounded an animal and sent it over to the next country. TX heart shot on wounded buffalo/elephant running away is ok, but what you're really trying to do there is take out the spine/r. legs and/or slow it down for further follow up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you