African Big Game Vital Diameters

TastyBerger

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had significant measurement of some African Big Game Vital diameters for a perfectly placed shot. I was looking for how many inches I would need to hit inside of to bring down a Cape Buffalo, Wildebeest, or Kudu. I want to make a target for the kill zone on these animals and it's hard to know exactly what size to make my target. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had significant measurement of some African Big Game Vital diameters for a perfectly placed shot. I was looking for how many inches I would need to hit inside of to bring down a Cape Buffalo, Wildebeest, or Kudu. I want to make a target for the kill zone on these animals and it's hard to know exactly what size to make my target. Any help would be appreciated.

Refer to Dr. Kevin "Doctari" Robertson's excellent book (and/or his corresponding DVD) on this very subject called:
The Perfect Shot.
It is published by Safari Press.

i was looking to pick that book up but found it runs around $300 which is too rich for my blood.

i think he puts out some books which are more specific to certain animals. these run at a more more affordable price.

-matt

i was looking to pick that book up but found it runs around $300 which is too rich for my blood.

i think he puts out some books which are more specific to certain animals. these run at a more more affordable price.

-matt

I was quite surprised to read the $300. price tag.
So I went to midwayUSA.com.
They had been retailing it for $53.+ but they show the status as "Discontinued".
First, Hornady round nose bullets and now, the best book ever written for people planning to hunt in Africa.
Has the world gone mad?

You get a mini version of The Perfect Shot, it is perfect for your needs, less then 30$

Hey TB;
While your waiting to figure the book thing out... An old rule of thumb is to shoot an 8" paper plate. If you want to start practicing, start by trying to get all shots within an 8" circle from various shooting positions and max ranges you would take a shot at. I think if you hit that consistently from the probable positions and situations, such as on sticks with your breath up... You should be deadly on the animals you listed.

Follow this link to see the size of your target on buff, and this is without the lungs.

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Buffalo heart…
watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Buffalo vitals…

watermark.php

Zebra vitals…

watermark.php

watermark.php

Leopard vitals…

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Bongo heart…

watermark.php

watermark.php

Bongo lungs…

watermark.php

Giraffe heart…

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Bushpig heart…

watermark.php

Elephant heart…

watermark.php

watermark.php

Hippo heart…

watermark.php

Gemsbok heart…

watermark.php

watermark.php

Lord Derby Eland vitals…

watermark.php

watermark.php

Great pictures, Jerome! I think it is fascinating that the structures of these animal parts are exactly the same as humans. In fact, pretty much every mammal heart/lung set I've seen all look the same. my understanding is that there are very few differences from one mammal to the next. I've heard reptiles only have a 3-chambered heart.

If only I could find a money tree...

Ok, let me explain about money trees;
If you had a "money tree" you would need to be sure and plant it in fertile soil and in a spot that it gets the correct amount of sun, not too much and not too little. You see most money trees start out as frail little seedlings and need to be nurtured and cared for and worked over for many years before they bear fruit.

Then when it starts to mature, you would need to prune it properly to get it to bear the most "fruit". And pruning a money tree can be a special talent not everyone can master. You can go to school to learn how but sometimes it just takes the hand of a master to get the most out of it.

Then over the years you will need to keep the parasites off it. Many money trees die from this. And keep the weeds under control, they are constantly popping up to suck away nutrients needed by your money tree. Fertilize it properly. Protect it from being blown down or broken by a wind storm. Maybe insure it against hail knocking all the leaves off? Water it properly, in fact you may need to harvest the first couple years worth of fruit just to spend it all on an irrigation system so it produces more in the future.

It goes on and on and if ever you back away, there is a danger of the tree withering and no longer producing, or even dying. So if you want to get away from the daily care of your money tree, you must train someone else well to care for it.. In fact as they gain skills in caring for it, they may soon want one of their own! So you may need to invest in more efficient tools and systems to care for multiple trees so they can support you and your successor. And then you may need more trees to pay for those investments and may have to hire specialized people to perform some of the tasks for you... such as one guy who does nothing but maintain the watering system. etc.

Do you get the point? Many people have money trees of their own. And they come in many shapes and sizes and even the amount of care needed. Some might just be little bushes. Some people have entire orchards!

Some look like businesses, some look like investments, some of those look like mutual funds and some look like apartment buildings.. etc. etc. etc.

Good luck and I hope you find a healthy seedling and care for it well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeauC1305

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross