AfricaHunting.com Hunting Knives

Connon Green

Reaction score
Media
This is my Buck 110 Hunter, works for over 20 yeas with me.
I haven't never had another Buck knife in my life, but I believe people who say that this Buck model is the best-selling and best "all-around" knife.
https://wildproofgear.com/the-best-8-folding-buck-knives/

Sure they lost some quality when they launched manugacturing in China. But the 110 Hunter is made in Idaho and I guess all US made knives work well.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
This is my Buck 110 Hunter, works for over 20 yeas with me.
I haven't never had another Buck knife in my life, but I believe people who say that this Buck model is the best-selling and best "all-around" knife.
https://wildproofgear.com/the-best-8-folding-buck-knives/

Sure they lost some quality when they launched manugacturing in China. But the 110 Hunter is made in Idaho and I guess all US made knives work well.
This thread is about the knives I designed for the Africa hunting forum with the A H logo on them. There are other threads for other knife discussions. Oh and welcome to the forum

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Another nice little EDC with rather nice Maple burl.
EDC.png

huntermn15

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, AK SCI
Hunted
U.S.A. NJ, TX, AZ, AK. Limpopo and the Kalihari in South Africa. Eastern Cape RSA 2017.
Very nice Garry, as usual!

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
A Buffalo handled AH EDC with stainless lanyard tube and black micarta pins in 10 degree X draw sheath with no logo by request.
AH EDC.png

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
During a conversation with Jerome a while back the subject of a forum knife was raised. The design parameters were for a compact every day use and carry knife that would also be up to dressing animals when oportunity arrose. It was to be of simple carbon steel and have wood scales with brass pins and a lanyard tube in a horizontal cross draw sheath, although there is a standard vertical carry sheath as an option. It was to be marked in a way to connect with the forum so a stamp with the AfricaHunting.com logo was ordered for the sheath to be marked as such. The idea was to show our membership and promotion of this forum which offers so much to us as members in the way of valuable shared information on so many subjects related to our passion for the hunting life we all lead in one way or another.
After many discussions, drawings and concept knives this little knife is now ready to be offered for sale.

The knife is an EDC (every day carry) knife made from 1/8 inch/3.2mm carbon steel.
7 1/4 inches /182mm overall length with 3 inch/75mm blade.
It has Australian blackwood handle scales with brass pins and lanyard tube.
The sheath is a horizontal carry in 1/8 in/3.2mm cow hide worn on the left side of the belt buckle for a right handed person. It will comfortably except a belt 1 3/4/ 45mm wide.
A standard vertical carry sheath is an option instead of the horizontal sheath with left and right handed sheaths of either style being are offered.

These will be made here and shipped from my home in South Otago, New Zealand. I am 65 and a retired cabinet maker/house builder with a farming background and have been "making things" for as long as I can remember with knives and rifle stocks (among various other projects) being the main focus for many years now.
Generally I would expect to be able to ship a knife within a matter of weeks but being a one man band this will depend on the order book, with shipping to the US generally taking 10-14 days.

I havent had a complaint so far concerning my knives but offer a refund or replacment for any defect that I somehow miss in my final inspection or that emerges within the normal non abisive use of the knife. These knives are handmade, so perfection is not part of the claim but carefull hand crafting is with general care in thier use and maintainence being expected from the end user.
Ordering is through my email vongruff@gmail.com which is also my paypal address for payment when the knife is ready to ship.
Price is US$170 plus $25 shipping.

A short video to show the knife and sheath

View attachment 205739
@Von Gruff
Very nice and very practical. Love the carbon steel. The horizontal carry is different used to have one for my rodgers bunny pocket knife.
Bob

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Thanks Bob. Jerome and I had some very interesting discussion as this little knife design came to be finalised. The X draw sheath has now been changed from actual horozontal to a 10% angle. There has been an almost equal number of crossdraw and traditional sheaths requested with this little knife.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
I like a horizontal for a pocket knife. Its out of the way, maybe less conspicuous.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Too many options though with Mr Gruff, like the cross draw he does makes sense. It was designed for the JT Ranger but would suit a hunter to keep it out of the way if you are using it reguarly or jumping in and out of a vehicle but the vertical sheath he makes looks traditional, and know you can even add a steel so you can torture yourself with choices.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
That is some beautiful handiwork on your knifes, I may (will) have to save up for one, I have always preferred the horizontal sheath it works better canoeing as well, I think that I just found a retirement gift to myself
Happy to indulge another with a retirement gift to themselves. I did the same but with a folder

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Mine isn't such a small folder with a 3 inch CPM154 SS blade, damasteel accents with giraffe bone scales and jeweled liners.
BR 1.png

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
i see you went for something basic and fundamental garry.:oops:
But it is a using knife and gets to prove itself most days and if it was all I had, it would serve to sort an animal if need be. Afterall is said and done, it has the same length blade as the Africa Hunting EDC, so we are both on the same page when it comes to the small daily use knife. No reason it cant look good while doing so and that is the beauty of ordering a knife to your own specs as you can have it as fancy as you want it within the parameters of available material, or you can select the plain jane knife ,and in the case of the AH EDC,(and all the knives I make) they all have the same care going into the blade which is the main function of the knife with the rest just adding personality to the piece.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
This A H EDC is now in South Africa after a roundabout flight from NZ via Singapore, Hong Kong, Bahrain, and the UAE. Blister Maple on the 1084 blade.
edc.png

Attachments

• IMG_0282.JPG
    8 MB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Just came from a hunt and already longing for the bush
JPmbogo wrote on yhc's profile.
I have factory loaded Hornady 450 NE 3 1/4 DGS that I am selling for not much more than the brass itself at $75/box - see my listing for same.
Justbryan wrote on Rafter JK's profile.
Get Crazy Larry yet? Wishing I had shot Alpine Ibex too!
laurence burkin wrote on UKHunter's profile.
Hi the dude in the picture. It would be cool to know the area (genetics) of the stag you have in your profile picture. I am from New Zealand and shot a stag here that is almost identical, especially the throw backs. I can send you a photo to prove I'm genuine with my enquiry.