AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa,Zimbabwe, Canada USA
Please post Sayings or Quotes that have to do with Africa or Safaris. If you know who to give credit for the quote or saying , that would be great as well.

Some examples (I'll probably get them wrong so please feel free to correct for me) : " Once the dust is Africa gets in your boots, you'll always want to return",. "Everything in Africa bites, but the Safari bug is the worst".

I know there are many out there, some famous, some you may have come up with yourself or just overhead. Let's see what you got.

The first two, that come to my mind now:
"A buffalo looks at you like you owe him money" - R. Ruark, and Boddington
"Use enough gun", Ruark, again

Not a saying per se, but a wonderful Shona folk story that says when the creator completed the kudu he was so pleased with his work, that he reached out and touched it upon the nose with his thumb and index finger. To this day, the kudu wears the white chevron to show where he was touched by God.

Here are a few of my favorites:

"There is a simple formula to successful safari. First, you must have enough money to go....."
Robert Ruark

"To determine the precise cost of a safari before the fact is rather like figuring out the length of a piece of string with only one end in sight."
Peter Hathaway Capstick

Booking a safari isn't all that unlike contracting for a wedding..."
Peter Hathaway Capstick

“Unfortunately, much the same way life is, in hunting there are no bargains to be had. It is only through bitter personal experience that one learns that it is only the very rich who can afford to book cheap trophy hunts!”
- Peter Flack – Veteran African hunter and author

“The only man I envy is the man who has not yet been to Africa - for he has so much to look forward to."
Richard Mullin

“That reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.”
WC Fields

"... one does not hunt in order to kill: on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."
José Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting

I have seen this one in print several times. Another scheme failed to produce the desired results.

"Bliksem"

The Afrikkans slang word I learned when my son dropped a blue wildebeest with one shot from a .243:)

It derives from the Dutch word for "lightning", and often occurs in conjunction with donner. Used as a curse in Afrikaans: "Jou bliksem!" (You bastard!) ...

"Miles and miles of bloody Africa"
Attributed to several including Winston Churchill

"Well he's seen us now so he has the upper hand", Andri Fox to me as we were stalking my lion.

It's Africa!

As they say in Zimbabwe… "If you have not heard a rumor by 9:00 am, start one." :)

And a .22 is called a "two two"

"I promise you"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!