Africa hunting connections

@Jaegger

Thanks for your interest. The operator I work for has reapplied for the exclusive federal refuge guiding permit for the national wildlife refuge area we hunt. This is required every ten years. I believe he will know later this year or in early 2023 if he receives it again. Once we have those results, we will formally book the upcoming hunts.

On the Alaskan Peninsula, the next bear season is the Fall of 2023 in October. The next Spring season is May 10-25, 2024. The Alaskan Peninsula is only hunted every other Fall and every other Spring. In the odd years (2023, 2025) it is a Fall hunt. In the even years (2024, 2026) it is a Spring hunt. I prefer the spring season because the large boars have emerged from their dens and are moving a lot more while looking for food and estrus females.

A month or two ago, I emailed Jerome about the operator that I guide for becoming an AH Sponsor when we get confirmation of the new refuge permit. This will allow us to advertise and book hunters on and through AH. I will keep you updated. Thanks!
Hello Scott CWO,

GREAT STUFF … many thanks for the detailed response & outlining areas, access, tags, seasons, etc. Excellent “Starting Point” from which to understand & build on a proper plan. Alternating Spring - Fall hunt seasons is interesting & you must respect AK conservation for these true giants!

Fingers crossed your Operator has great success securing the preferred National Wildlife Refuge permit & for me - Spring 2026 seems like forever away BUT furtherest from the truth when planning these special hunts.

In my humble opinion, expanding AH sponsorship would be a Win-Win & please do keep me posted … Happy Trails!

@Scott CWO
@1dirthawker

Gents … cool stuff! Congrat’s on your/clients Big Brown Bears success & thx for sharing the AK Meet & Greet backstory.

Q: do your allocated # of tags change year-to-year? How long is your client waitlist … I suspect, in years?

Bucketlist Hunt & no better time to prepare than now …

Thx in advance!
@Jaegger,

ScottCWO did a great job of explaining things. On my outfitters end, we lease exclusive rights on native land (yep, that one of the underlying costs). Litzen's guide service is who i guide for. he has hunted this area for 35+ years. our outfit has land camps and also a boat hunt option.

we take 4 hunters on the boat, and have 2-3 land camps depending on the season.

i suspect 2023 is booked, and not sure that 2024 is or is not full as well. there are of course limited spots on the boat. it is a great hunt. if you are interested, you should look up mike's website and then call him. he is a great outfitter that has good/great sheep, great moose and brown bears. his website: alaskabrownbearhunts.net

in fact, of the photos on the brown bear portion photos, 5 of them are bears that i guided. regardless, you should think 2-4 years out on this hunt. spring hunts almost always end up with a larger average sized bear, that is when they are out feeding and looking for breeding females. in the fall they bears are hunkered in the creek getting fat on salmon

it is a privilege to hunt such amazing animals. the whole hunt is an amazing experience, it actually can feel like a survival camp on certain portions of the hunt!!

@Jaegger,

ScottCWO did a great job of explaining things. On my outfitters end, we lease exclusive rights on native land (yep, that one of the underlying costs). Litzen's guide service is who i guide for. he has hunted this area for 35+ years. our outfit has land camps and also a boat hunt option.

we take 4 hunters on the boat, and have 2-3 land camps depending on the season.

i suspect 2023 is booked, and not sure that 2024 is or is not full as well. there are of course limited spots on the boat. it is a great hunt. if you are interested, you should look up mike's website and then call him. he is a great outfitter that has good/great sheep, great moose and brown bears. his website: alaskabrownbearhunts.net

in fact, of the photos on the brown bear portion photos, 5 of them are bears that i guided. regardless, you should think 2-4 years out on this hunt. spring hunts almost always end up with a larger average sized bear, that is when they are out feeding and looking for breeding females. in the fall they bears are hunkered in the creek getting fat on salmon

it is a privilege to hunt such amazing animals. the whole hunt is an amazing experience, it actually can feel like a survival camp on certain portions of the hunt!!
1dirthawker,

Equally thanks for another Great & Detailed recap on Big Brown Bear hunting, plus, your Operators Permit Area - Native Lands adds abit of a special twist!

I am 101 on the knowledge scale w/ this species but without a doubt properly selecting the right Operator has became paramount to a hunters overall success (& safety). Thx for reaching out & sharing this intriguing hunting opportunity.

I had Pre-COVID Master AK Plan …get a U.S. Federal position reassignment out of Germany & into Alaska, est. residency, build a network of solid hunting friends, & w/ proper place, time, & resources $$ notch afew unique Hunting Adventures/Trophies off the bucket list.

Now Plan B: finance the BBB hunt.

Happy Trails

Hello Scott CWO,

GREAT STUFF … many thanks for the detailed response & outlining areas, access, tags, seasons, etc. Excellent “Starting Point” from which to understand & build on a proper plan. Alternating Spring - Fall hunt seasons is interesting & you must respect AK conservation for these true giants!

Fingers crossed your Operator has great success securing the preferred National Wildlife Refuge permit & for me - Spring 2026 seems like forever away BUT furtherest from the truth when planning these special hunts.

In my humble opinion, expanding AH sponsorship would be a Win-Win & please do keep me posted … Happy Trails!
@Jaegger The Spring 2024 is the next spring season if you do not want to wait until 2026. Keep in touch! @1dirthawker can also provide a great hunt with operator Mike Lintzen.

@Jaegger,

i hate to admit it, but i believe that scottCWO's guiding area consistently TAKES bigger bears. the bears in our area are the SAME bears, but, seeing and getting to those big bears in our area is tougher. lots of alders and steep elevation make it tough to spot and then get to many of the bears in our hunting area.

@Jaegger,

i hate to admit it, but i believe that scottCWO's guiding area consistently TAKES bigger bears. the bears in our area are the SAME bears, but, seeing and getting to those big bears in our area is tougher. lots of alders and steep elevation make it tough to spot and then get to many of the bears in our hunting area.
@1dirthawker … I appreciate the ‘boots on the ground’ Intel on bear access in the different Areas & will stay in touch w/ both of you - all options considered - as the planning get serious.

Bests,
Jaegger

@Jaegger,

Well there’s one way to know for sure and that’s for @1dirthawker to switch and come guide with me to see for himself! That would be really fun!

But yes, the area I am privileged to work in has more than a dozen beautiful valleys that drop off the spine of the Aleutian Mountains on each side towards the Pacific Ocean on one side and the Bering Sea on the other. Each valley has a salmon stream and incredible denning habitat, which concentrates the bears. I will try to post a video of a typical valley, as seen from a bush plane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg