Africa Hunting Canada events venue change

There is a way to show that the anti's are actually harming not just African animals but ALL game animals rather than saving them if anyone is interested. Hunters and anti's can participate in this experiment together.

On a Canadian forum there was a thread posted concerning the Africa Events Canada show this weekend. An individual had posted this question: "Why not hunting buffalos for example , why exotic animals ? At the beginning of 20th century in Africa was 5M elephants , now just 300K left . Lions pop. drops from 200K to 20K its not fair , humans having precision tool to terminate them . There is bunch of others animals , hunt them , why exterminate exotics ? Thats my point hunt for food , not for fun."

The response was as follows:
"Again, you are generalizing issues. Firstly in some places in Africa there are very few elephants while in others, the government is conducting a cull because the populations are damaging habitat. The lion populations you will note are extremely low in places where there is little or no hunting. The reason. The locals do not care about the species going extinct. They care about their goats and their livelihood. I can tell you 100% that the animals are used for food, not only for the hunters but for all those people employed by the outfitter. In the place I hunted, my tracking who was a local commented that if he did not get meat from the hunting outfitter, his family would have limited access to protein. Have a look at Kenya, a place with zero hunting. They are struggling to stop locals and poachers from destroying animals. Hunting in places like Zimbabwe fund almost in its entirety the park ranger/anti poacher programs.

Also, I think you assume that the African governments in the various states are incapable of managing wildlife. In most places, that is furthest from the truth. The reality is they fully recognize the importance of hunting and set quota and numbers that ensure a sustainable population.

Far too many people make sweeping generalizations about Africa without really understanding the facts.

I thought this was an intelligent response

There is a way to show that the anti's are actually harming not just African animals but ALL game animals rather than saving them if anyone is interested. Hunters and anti's can participate in this experiment together.
And that experiment is?

And that experiment is?
Still fine tuning the details.
I'm sure it's been done in scientific terms but on paper. This would work best if it was done live. Better visual understanding of the situation. Should only take about 10mins to do.In a nutshell you would have two squares or circles representing a national game area and a ranch. Hunters would represent the rancher/livestock and the anti hunters would represent let's say the predator group. You would start off with several predators and one rancher with several livestock. The respective areas would have a buffer or clear area between them just for visualization sake. As the experiment progresses you would add a couple of predators and a couple of livestock, and keep doing this until area gets congested. You would then move the areas of the the respective ranges closer together. The rancher needs more space for his livestock and the predator needs to expand it's range due to overcrowding (breeding and no game management), and/or lack of natural food sources (now that there are too many predators). You then overlap the areas representing encroachment on both sides or the equation while continuing to add livestock and predators. You could also have another circle that could be used as another farm or population centre that is squeezing the game area in the middle. You would need to show that predators are now starting to take livestock due to hunger. So you would remove a few livestock. Continue to add predators and remove livestock. Then start removing predators in rapid succession as the ranchers are protecting their investment. Continue to expand the ranches. You could then step in as a respective conservation organization, or gov't organization and allow game management through hunting to control the predator group. A protected game preserve i.e Kruger National Park, could now be set up and managed through hunting conservation. You would have to show that the game area and ranch area could now co-exist together.
It's an idea anyway.

On a Canadian forum there was a thread posted concerning the Africa Events Canada show this weekend. An individual had posted this question: "Why not hunting buffalos for example , why exotic animals ? At the beginning of 20th century in Africa was 5M elephants , now just 300K left . Lions pop. drops from 200K to 20K its not fair , humans having precision tool to terminate them . There is bunch of others animals , hunt them , why exterminate exotics ? Thats my point hunt for food , not for fun."

The response was as follows:
"Again, you are generalizing issues. Firstly in some places in Africa there are very few elephants while in others, the government is conducting a cull because the populations are damaging habitat. The lion populations you will note are extremely low in places where there is little or no hunting. The reason. The locals do not care about the species going extinct. They care about their goats and their livelihood. I can tell you 100% that the animals are used for food, not only for the hunters but for all those people employed by the outfitter. In the place I hunted, my tracking who was a local commented that if he did not get meat from the hunting outfitter, his family would have limited access to protein. Have a look at Kenya, a place with zero hunting. They are struggling to stop locals and poachers from destroying animals. Hunting in places like Zimbabwe fund almost in its entirety the park ranger/anti poacher programs.

Also, I think you assume that the African governments in the various states are incapable of managing wildlife. In most places, that is furthest from the truth. The reality is they fully recognize the importance of hunting and set quota and numbers that ensure a sustainable population.

Far too many people make sweeping generalizations about Africa without really understanding the facts.

I thought this was an intelligent response

Was there ever a response?

At this point I didn't see one listed.
Update. The poster got on the "Cecil The Lion Killing" issue. Wasn't a malicious attack just a question about "how do you know if you're not going to run into the same situation where the outfitter/PH is more interested in the $ than what happens to the hunter" .
Same responder replied: "The land that he was hunting on is owned by a "war veteran" who now essentially sublets the land to an outfitter. According to the media they did not have quota for lion on that property. Dr Palmer is not being charged because he was acting in good faith and the authorities have determined that he was not aware that there was no quota for lion on the property. Unfortunately there are always unscrupulous operators, both at home and abroad, but it's hard to guard against being scammed. When I hunted in Zimbabwe I never once saw my hunting license nor the quota information so I had to take it on faith that the operator I hunted with was on the up and up. I had done my due diligence and was confident that I was in good hands. Dr Palmer, obviously, was not in good hands."

I just got back home from the Saskatoon show. Well organized, nice venue, good quality exhibitors, and lots of fine people. Got several good leads for a hunt in 2017. I'm happy I went.

Sounds good.

Very cowardly and unprofessional on there part...I agree with the previous comments fully!!! This facility should be shunned and lawsuits should be given. I am very ashamed of the way hunters are being scrutinized and amde to feel like second rate citizens.....

Longwalker, any trouble outside the show from protesters?

Four people flew in from Toronto. They were joined by two locals. They posed for the news cameras, yelled a bit, and as soon as the cameras and microphones were gone they were too. About a half hour of show time. Nice to see that the antis have no real traction in our part of the world.

The four that flew out, you didn't send them back, did you?

We're usually pretty good at hospitality, but I don't think they felt very welcome... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois