Africa and Holy Black

BossHoss

Reaction score
Member of
Maywood Sportsman Club, Exeland Sportsmans club
HI

I am in the planning stages of a bucket list hunt in SA.

Since I want to take my favorite BP rifles (Lyman .50 and a Sharps), I have a couple of question to those who have hunted SA with Holy Black.

My Sharps cartridges , I am sure would be treated as loaded ammo. But what about the loose powder I will need for the Lyman, (I may even elect to take a Flintlock)?

How have you brought the Goex or Swiss to SA?? I would imagine the caps are ok to bring with the ammo.

I have thought about this, and wonder what restrictions there may be for loose powder. And in thinking about it, I think I came up with a workaround.

Let me run this by the gallery, ////----->>> Bring more than a few boxes of 45-100 loaded with FFG , no crimps or lube. Just lead heads nicely , easily pushed in , no crimp for easy disassembly and reclamation of the powder.

What do you think??

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the only way I WOULD recommend it...there is not one black powder factory to my knowledge that has not blown up at least once--even the automated ones. Static electricity is thought to even be a danger. Not something most folks want on an airliner over the Atlantic...

If I understand it correctly black powder is prohibited from normal airline transport. Best idea is to check with your outfitter and have him see what can be obtained. I think your caps are likewise prohibited.
Bruce

You cannot fly with Black Powder. This means that you would need to source Black Powder on this side. With our laws, this also means that you would need to find an outfitter with the necessary permits to store black powder on your behalf and also source it. I just revoked my permit last week.
Then, since our powder is so much of a lesser quality than what you have access to in the USA, you will need to bring your entire reloading kit and redevelop new loads for your safari. Be ready for a considerable drop in velocity.

You CANNOT fly with caps, black powder, black powder substitute period.

The last time I checked it is also not legal to fly with loaded BP rounds, you would have to check with the airlines to confirm.

I looked at taking a traditional muzzle loader and just to much red tape for the outfitter to source on the africa end in most cases. So I canned the idea.

@AZDAVE is absolutely correct. No matter how it’s packaged black powder, substitutes, and percussion caps can not be transported by air commercially, those are International regulations.

HI

I am in the planning stages of a bucket list hunt in SA.

What do you think??
Gert Odendaal will answer all your questions....

HWL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross