Africa 2021 Season...what are your thoughts/predictions??

Shakka

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Member of
NRA SCI
Hunted
Namibia Zimbabwe
From the look of things right now with COVID, airline, and airport closures in mind, I am wondering what you all (clients and PH's alike) are thinking about what's going to happen with this years hunting season. So far, to me anyway, it looks like it's going to be a repeat of 2020.

Hopefully I am wrong but it's not looking good

It’s different. Read the rules. Get tested and go. Last year was a complete prohibition in most countries. Not so this year. Even last year, Tanzania and Zambia opened well before the end of the year.

The only issue I have is Covid testing requirements. I actually had business class ticket coupons I could have used to go to Johannesburg and then to Harare. Due to all the testing requirements I bought a more direct route option tickets from Emirates.

If flights go, then I will as well.

Qatar is flying, I'm going to SA April 30th!

If Ethiopian or emirates is flying, I'm going to TZ September 27th

I usually do I couple smaller hunts every year, but this year will likely only be one trip. Because of the problems securing a test in the required timeframe and 10 day quarantine on return, I actually decided to expand my Zimbabwe trip and add days and sable/roan to the trip to make the covid hassles worth it.

airline, and airport closures in mind
What airline and airport closures? Air Namibia and South African airways (state owned airlines) are only 2 I can think of, but were never really financially secure in recent times anyway.

Qatar is flying, I'm going to SA April 30th!

If Ethiopian or emirates is flying, I'm going to TZ September 27th
Heck yes! What are you hunting and where are you going on each trip?

Govt clusterf**** will be everywhere, rules unknown and changing. I figure my best bet is to have my Covid vaccinations/proof thereof, clear dates with PH with caveat that I am not booking tickets too far ahead, book airline tickets closer in time to departure than normally, deal with then existing rules re negative Covid testing and just hope Murphy does not decide to rain on my parade.

There are no airlines or airports closed. There are many routes that are cancelled. There is a train wreck of required testing both ways.
Delta has cancelled DL 204 to June 1.
I depart July 24th and just have fingers crossed. If we have to change airlines or routes we will do so if Delta cancels.
The vaccine is NOT accepted in place of testing. I wish you guys would quit mentioning it as if it is.
Regards,
Philip

As long as Qatar is flying Houston to Johannesburg route, Biden hasn’t shut us down from travel and South Africa is open. I am leaving May28th!! My new double needs some action!!
I am leaving June 5th instead of June 1st. I had the same problem as you with Memorial Day testing and lack of FedEx shipping that day. I couldn’t go earlier than June 1st because I will be in Alaska in May so I had to delay my Botswana trip to the 5th. Let’s keep in touch about these travel issues.

Heck yes! What are you hunting and where are you going on each trip?

East cape first trip- cape bushbuck, vaal, cape kudu

Selous and massailand second trip- buff, hyena, nyassa WB, giant impala, Grant's and Tommy's gazelles

What airline and airport closures? Air Namibia and South African airways (state owned airlines) are only 2 I can think of, but were never really financially secure in recent times anyway.
I'm primarily referring to SAA as far as airlines are concerned and Vic Falls and Bulawayo airports for example.

It doesn't seem like many people are booking trips

My thoughts are to use a travel agent and let them deal with the crap. I have had my flights canceled a couple times already, it I had to do was read the email, Lori takes care of the rest. I am going to hunt this year, probably will be mid summer instead of April, but that is fine. My prediction is a great hunt, the pressure last year was very light and probably will be this year also. I am hope means some damn fine hunting for those who make it over.

My thoughts are to use a travel agent and let them deal with the crap. I have had my flights canceled a couple times already, it I had to do was read the email, Lori takes care of the rest. I am going to hunt this year, probably will be mid summer instead of April, but that is fine. My prediction is a great hunt, the pressure last year was very light and probably will be this year also. I am hope means some damn fine hunting for those who make it over.
I hope that you are right

Considerng the circumstances from my perspective, I doubt I will manage to get to Africa this year.

I'm doing my damnedest to get over there as well. Feel like I need to hunt twice as much this to make up for last year. Flight routes keep getting dropped for me. Trying to get to the Caprivi. Looks like I might have to hitch a ride from WDH.

Leaving for Limpopo at the end of June, DFW to London then on to J'Burg. Only thing I'm worried about is the news about international travelers coming into the US from South Africa and whether US citizens will be subject to quarantine. I've had both Covid vaccinations (that's another story I will post about) so I hope that will make a difference in getting into and out of SA and back into the US.

No african travel for me until vaccinated..when so yes..

East cape first trip- cape bushbuck, vaal, cape kudu

Selous and massailand second trip- buff, hyena, nyassa WB, giant impala, Grant's and Tommy's gazelles
Wow, wow, that sounds wonderful!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasovWoogy

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg