Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State, Mpumalanga)
Came across this article, makes you think, if there is some truth in it

Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 8.31.54 AM Large.jpeg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 8.31.56 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 8.31.56 AM Large.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited by a moderator:
Came across this article, makes you think, if there is some truth in it

View attachment 534275

Unfortunately, the article is 100% true. This writer essentially covers everything in this one article that it took me 140,000 words to do in my book. I also talked with Mike Angelides and researched the declining hunting concessions in Tanzania after the Cecil debacle ....and what is happening to those concessions that are sitting empty. I also included the open letter from the African people in my last chapter. Also, I now fortunate enough to have direct access to many of the people interviewed for the article...so I see the challenges they are facing and what they are doing. Honestly, much of it goes over my head since I am not a biologist.

Anyway, all the reasons mentioned by this author are exactly why I am fighting so hard to help educate people. This information coming from a hunter is often scoffed at....even though it is absolutely true. Coming from a non-hunter and someone originally opposed to trophy hunting...like this author (and me actually), it resinates better. At least in my opinion.

For sure, I'm going to buy this authors book. Also, you all might be interested in knowing that Adam Hart has a great book out right now. I'm only half way through it but it is really fascinating.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really liked the article. It’s well written and appears to be by a neutral writer who writes for big names. We need more of this. The reduced value of lions and elephants is a huge conservation issue and hurts conservation funding, but there are a lot of other issues as well not addressed.
Proper quotas is a big issue, either too low or too high. I was offered a problem lion/lioness hunt in Namibia on short notice $25k all in. It was not for a particular lion, just issued to appease community over cattle losses. The area has no lions on regular quota, but they are resident there. If they issued that on quota once every 3 years they could market it for $75k and create a lot of value. The outfitter I hunted with in Caprivi petitioned hard to get sitatunga on quota and they were seen regularly, but game department said they didn’t exist in area. A lot of lost revenue for area and community for reasons I can’t understand. He did successfully get bushpig on quota and I got one, but a low value animal. Too high quotas in other areas leads to value loss over time as well then the people move in.
The wild areas I’ve hunted have deteriorated not because lack of hunters, but human population growth. My PH in Zimbabwe told me when he started hunting area 20 years before the lack of villages compared to now and also the surge in rural population post Covid, all lead to more poaching and more human/animal conflict. The scale of poaching I saw in Cameroon was unprecedented. I don’t think outfitter was doing nearly enough, but 10 years more it was more than sufficient because lower human population and lower cattle population. In Caprivi, the concession I hunted had a recently paved road going through, it dramatically changed elephant movement. The concession I hunted in Zambia had a Chinese copper mine 5 years later. I really think human population growth in Africa is biggest problem.
Another problem too is availability of very inexpensive hunts in South Africa. Generally a different clientele, but there will be some overlap. The argument has been made CBL protects wild lions, maybe with the bone trade, but all I see is further devaluing a wild lion when a pen raised and released male lion is available to shoot for $6000. If a hunter chooses to shoot a CBL lion instead of pay the huge price for a wild lion, there is a lot of conservation funding lost, especially when they have to reduce price on wild lion to compete to sell their quota.
There are really so many interconnected issues, unfortunately I think we are going to see quality hunting areas in wild Africa get less and less over time on our current path.

Last edited:
Anyway, all the reasons mentioned by this author are exactly why I am fighting so hard to help educate people. This information coming from a hunter is often scoffed at....even though it is absolutely true. Coming from a non-hunter and someone originally opposed to trophy hunting...like this author (and me actually), it resinates better. At least in my opinion.
I really agree with all this. This is one of a favorite videos to recommend to someone who doesn’t understand hunting in Africa. Very surprising to me, many hunters here have criticized this video because not a hunter or in full support of hunting.

I really agree with all this. This is one of a favorite videos to recommend to someone who doesn’t understand hunting in Africa. Very surprising to me, many hunters here have criticized this video because not a hunter or in full support of hunting.
@375Fox Thank you for sharing this video. I watched it awhile back but haven't seen it for awhile. I too find it surprising that hunters would criticize it. We do not need to have everyone fall in love with hunting...or even support it...we just need them to recognize WHY it is so critical to wildlife conservation and the African people....and base policies on facts instead of emotion. In my opinion, this video will resonate with non-hunters or anti-hunters much more because it IS from someone who essentially hates hunting. The sad truth is, many people simply "turn off" when this information comes from a hunter (as I mentioned above). My goal is to someday also do a Ted Talk....although I'm a much better writer than a speaker...and the thoughts of this is quite intimidating.

I agree with 375 Fox but how many people that hunt a CBL could afford a wild lion hunt? I would love to hunt a lion but could never justify the expense and don’t agree with the CBL, I will hunt only animals born and raised on a property. I don’t have any problem with those that do but it’s just not my cup of tea so to speak.

An excellent article, thanks for posting. @Sue Tidwell can you point me in the direction of your book please.

Edit…. I have found and bought a copy of Cries of the Savannah, it will arrive in two days

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the article is 100% true. This writer essentially covers everything in this one article that it took me 140,000 words to do in my book. I also talked with Mike Angelides and researched the declining hunting concessions in Tanzania after the Cecil debacle ....and what is happening to those concessions that are sitting empty. I also included the open letter from the African people in my last chapter. Also, I now fortunate enough to have direct access to many of the people interviewed for the article...so I see the challenges they are facing and what they are doing. Honestly, much of it goes over my head since I am not a biologist.

For sure, I'm going to buy this authors book. Also, you all might be interested in knowing that Adam Hart has a great book out right now. I'm only half way through it but it is really fascinating.
I just finished reading your book two nights ago. Loved it and recommended it to my sister's book club. Highly recommended for people to don't "get" hunters.

I just finished reading your book two nights ago. Loved it and recommended it to my sister's book club. Highly recommended for people to don't "get" hunters.
@gcbailey Ahhh, thank you for telling me you enjoyed the book. I appreciate it…AND thank you so much for recommending it to your sisters book club. That is awesome. I am plugging away constantly working to get it into as many nonHunters hands as possible but word of mouth from others is the BEST away. Please tell them that there will soon be an audiobook version. I am editing chapter 25 right now and getting close. It has been quite a learning curve but I am really excited that I may be able to reach more people. Plus, it will have the literal cries of the savanna in it! I’m including the sounds of lions, hyenas, hippos, etc etc in small clips throughout the book where appropriate so that those who have never been to Africa can hear what I heard. Also, Lilian will be reading the open letter in the last chapter. I’m excited to include her and for people to hear her voice. Hey, one favor if it isn’t asking too much. I’d love you to leave a review on Amazon. Even a few words or a star rating is great! Reviews are critical for relevance and the algorithms and counter the bad reviews I get from anti hunters. I just got a 2 star rating from someone who said Rick was “creepy” because he hunts etc etc. BUT they now understand that hunting is important in Africa. So it was still a win win as far as that goes.. All the best and thanks again for recommending Cries of the Savanna. Sue

Thank you for the reminder; must order at least one soon; spread the GOOD WORD!!
Awesome! Yes, we need to spread the word as much as possible for sure. I'm working on an audiobook now. Hopefully, it will reach even more people.

Sue.. just finished your book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It gave me some very clear ways to talk to non-hunters. Also, it looks like Rick and I may have been in Somalia at the same time.

Sue.. just finished your book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It gave me some very clear ways to talk to non-hunters. Also, it looks like Rick and I may have been in Somalia at the same time.
@ArmyAV8tor sorry for the delayed response. I’ve been home in Pa at my brothers wedding etc. I’m so glad you liked the book and that it offered some ideas for talking to nonHunters.

Also, thank you for your service. Freedoms is NOT free. I wonder if you and Rick know each other? He was flying the cobra gunship when the Blackhawk down incident occurred. They were flying the perimeter but weren’t allowed to go in to help until much later. Did you fly helicopter or fixed wing?

An excellent article, thanks for posting. @Sue Tidwell can you point me in the direction of your book please.

Edit…. I have found and bought a copy of Cries of the Savannah, it will arrive in two days
@SRvet I’m sorry for the delayed response. I’ve been with family in Pa and not on social media much. I’m glad you found the book on your own and hope you enjoy it. I’d love to hear your thoughts when you are done. Happy reading and happy adventures!

I was a rotary wing pilot but serving as the 10th Mtn Div public affairs officer at the time. Left Somalia to be an Avn Bn XO back at Drum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.