Affordable big bores no longer being offered by the big guys

Let’s see now. Among currently manufactured big bore rifles:

Winchester Model 70- .375 Holland & Holland Magnum, .416 Remington Magnum, .458 Winchester Magnum

Ruger Model 77- .375 Ruger, .416 Ruger
Let’s see now. Among currently manufactured big bore rifles:

Winchester Model 70- .375 Holland & Holland Magnum, .416 Remington Magnum, .458 Winchester Magnum

Ruger Model 77- .375 Ruger, .416 Ruger

Zastava Model 70- .375 Holland & Holland Magnum, .458 Winchester Magnum

Musgrave Rifles- .375 Holland & Holland Magnum, .404 Jeffery, .416 Rigby, .458 Lott, .500 Jeffery

Kimber Caprivi- .375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Mauser Model 98 Magnum- .375 Holland & Holland Magnum, .416 Rigby, .450 Rigby

Did I get any wrong from this list, which might have gotten discontinued lately ?
That's good, but how.many are currently available for purchase? The Mauser 98 Magnum can be ordered, but the price is US $12,600. Not really affordable for most people.

Zastava Model 70- .375 Holland & Holland Magnum, .458 Winchester Magnum

Musgrave Rifles- .375 Holland & Holland Magnum, .404 Jeffery, .416 Rigby, .458 Lott, .500 Jeffery

Kimber Caprivi- .375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Mauser Model 98 Magnum- .375 Holland & Holland Magnum, .416 Rigby, .450 Rigby

Did I get any wrong from this list, which might have gotten discontinued lately ?

I think if you're looking for a new 375 H&H or416 Rem Mag a new Model 70 is a great option. If you want something bigger it gets very hard. A used CZ 550 in 450 Rigby should be fine, but 500 Jeffery or 505 Gibbs you had better have access to a good CZ gunsmith in case you run into feeding issues. The issue with my 500 Jeffery turned out to be the magazine follower. The rails and feed ramped were smoothed, couldn't hurt but didn't fix the feeding issue. Grinding out the magazine follower (Kevin Weaver spotted it and did the work) fixed any issues it had. Cheap fix once you know what to do.

It looks like both the Savage 110 and Mossberg Patriot are available in 375 Ruger. Thanks for reminding me about Weatherby, I believe the Mark V comes in dangerous game cartridges, although I'm guessing most are exclusively the hard-t-come-by Weatherby cartridges. I've also been pointed in the directon of Dakota Arms, Montana Rifle Company and Kimber, however I know virtually nothing about these companies.
The Weatherby 378, 416, and 460 in factory ammo are,, ah... brutal. Kevin Robertson had a client with the 416 and solids that wounded 4 buffs with one shot. If you handload, it can be made into Rigby power. Still one up the spout and two in the mag is all. Note... I wrote a paper on turning the 458 WIn Mag Model 70 into Lott power with simple handloads after replacing mag well, follower, bolt stop and ejector. All easy to replace and available. The chamber will accommodate a 458 taken out to 3.6". Or, just buy the 70 in 416 Rem Mag but don't try to juice it up. 2350 fps is fine.

The Weatherby 378, 416, and 460 in factory ammo are,, ah... brutal. Kevin Robertson had a client with the 416 and solids that wounded 4 buffs with one shot. If you handload, it can be made into Rigby power. Still one up the spout and two in the mag is all. Note... I wrote a paper on turning the 458 WIn Mag Model 70 into Lott power with simple handloads after replacing mag well, follower, bolt stop and ejector. All easy to replace and available. The chamber will accommodate a 458 taken out to 3.6". Or, just buy the 70 in 416 Rem Mag but don't try to juice it up. 2350 fps is fine.

Attachments

• 458XL.pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 54
The client killed two buffalo with one shot. Many cartridges could accomplish that with solids

You should specify Weatherby rifles.

My 460 holds 3 in the mag easily and one in the chamber, A2 Hannibal. No muzzle brake with a proper fitting stock make it fairly easy to shoot well. It's capacity make it arguably the most versatile 458 as you Saud, easy to load it up or down by a large margin.

If you are ok with a push feed and waiting 8+ months er shaw will make you a bolt action rifle in anything up to 458 lott. They’ll even do lefty bolts for southpaws. And they cost about the same as a cz 550 did depending how tricked out you want it

Shaw makes a nice rifle , but it’s been over a year and a half for a rifle my father in law ordered. Still waiting for it I believe from fall of 2021

The distributer here for Sako confirmed that the Model 85 was discontinued we won't be seeing any further rifles entering the country.

With CZ and now Sako out of the game that only leaves us with Winchester Model 70 and Ruger Hawkeye as the two affordable DG options.
@Northern Shooter, I’ve just been in Safari & Outdoor in Pretoria. While looking for something else I asked about the sako85 being discontinued.
the guy there said as far as he knows it’s still available
Perhaps its availability is limited to your location?
Who knows.
just thought I’d chime in with some (limited) info on this he sako85

on another note.
There were 3 heym 416rigby available in the store

@Northern Shooter, I’ve just been in Safari & Outdoor in Pretoria. While looking for something else I asked about the sako85 being discontinued.
the guy there said as far as he knows it’s still available
Perhaps its availability is limited to your location?
Who knows.
just thought I’d chime in with some (limited) info on this he sako85

on another note.
There were 3 heym 416rigby available in the store
It might just be select markets that are still receiving inventory and Canada doesn't seem to be one of them.

It might just be select markets that are still receiving inventory and Canada doesn't seem to be one of them.
I live a little over 100 km from where Sako rifles are made. There's a (chain) store that has lots of Sakos in their inventory in town. Now, they only have a few model 85 rifles remaining, somewhere in the country.

They have lots of Model S20 in stock, or coming soon, and model 100 expected to arrive at the end of June.

I live a little over 100 km from where Sako rifles are made. There's a (chain) store that has lots of Sakos in their inventory in town. Now, they only have a few model 85 rifles remaining, somewhere in the country.

They have lots of Model S20 in stock, or coming soon, and model 100 expected to arrive at the end of June.
I recently watched an information video on Sako's new S20 Hunter rifle. Looks like a very well designed rifle for about $1,600US. I'll have to find one here at a LGS and check it out in person.

I recently watched an information video on Sako's new S20 Hunter rifle. Looks like a very well designed rifle for about $1,600US. I'll have to find one here at a LGS and check it out in person.

I've handled an S20.
Bolt and trigger felt nice, as expected. The stock can divide opinions. Thumbhole style stocks tend to feel awkward to me, and the S20 wasn't an exception. At the same time, I handled a Tikka UPR "light target rifle" (a term I just invented) and preferred that stock. People also have mixed opinions about the two short integral pieces of Picatinny rail on the S20.

It's a shame because I love the looks of the 85 stock and the big bore cartridges it was available in. Not a fan of the new 100 or the price jump that they're marketing it with. I wonder if another more traditional stocked rifle series will replace the 85 line and be priced under the 100?

And not sure why people keep on about the sako 85 being discontinued...as each time people say it I look it up, and there it is on the sako website.... :E Shrug:

The SAKO website was updated 4-4-23 and the 85 is no longer listed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LashawnHay

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,