Affordable big bores no longer being offered by the big guys

Get the Win M70 Classic Safari Express. A good rifle for the money.

LGS has a nice Remington 798 (re-badged Serbian 98 Mauser) in .458 WM for under $1000. If you want to contact the shop, PM me.

One man's "affordable" amounts to another man's Mortgage haha. From everything I've heard the Heym doubles present an excellent value for quality vs price, especially compared to the bespoke British makers.

Unfortunately a $20,000-30,000 "affordable" Heym is still out of my reach.

I agree, it's out of mine too. Luckily between my two sons and I we have an M70 in 375 H&H, an M70 Classic stainless (CRF) in 416 Rem and my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery.

Surely Mauser isn’t discontinuing the M98?

Also a big bore is .458+ in caliber. The 40s are large medium bores
I could br wrong, but from what I've read, Mauser did replace the M 98 with a push feed model (M 18?). Now it looks like you can order a 98, starting at $12,600 US. That's out of my price range for a hunting rifle. You can also get a limited edition 125th anniversary limited edition for $35,000. I doubt if any of those will ever see the hunting field.

If someone wants to tell me that his .416 magnum anything is a big bore, I won't argue with him, although I personally feel that big bores start at .458. I am still not, however, going to agree that a 7mm/.284 anything qualifies as a medium bore on an African hunting forum.

I could br wrong, but from what I've read, Mauser did replace the M 98 with a push feed model (M 18?). Now it looks like you can order a 98, starting at $12,600 US. That's out of my price range for a hunting rifle. You can also get a limited edition 125th anniversary limited edition for $35,000. I doubt if any of those will ever see the hunting field.

If someone wants to tell me that his .416 magnum anything is a big bore, I won't argue with him, although I personally feel that big bores start at .458. I am still not, however, going to agree that a 7mm/.284 anything qualifies as a medium bore on an African hunting forum.
I think they discontinued one of the push feed models. Maybe the M12? I doubt they would discontinue the M98 especially since the Rigby big game is made on their actions.

Agreed on the last bit haha

Can you even get a M70 or a Ruger 416 right now? I know they are showing as available on their sites, but I haven’t seen a new version of either available in a year.

Can you even get a M70 or a Ruger 416 right now? I know they are showing as available on their sites, but I haven’t seen a new version of either available in a year.
You will have to order one from Winchester or ruger

I always thought .40 and over was big bore and that .30 to just under .40 were the medium bores, mostly the 338-375's.

Although there would be a huge range following that criteria for Big bore since there's a huge range between a .416 and a 700 NE.

I hope not, these seem to be the only two somewhat affordable options that are still listed as in production.

@Doug Hamilton, @Wishfulthinker580 and @Northern Shooter - Mauser offers the M98 in the Magnum Expert and Magnum Diplomat for the DG calibers. Prices starting near $15K US.

The Mauser M03 and M12 are no longer manufactured new, having been superseded by the M18. All of them have push feed actions. I'm not knowledgeable on the differences between them.

For the price of the Mauser M98, you could have a Heym Martini Express rifle built to your specifications. IMO a much better value for the money.

Just to clarify a few small misconceptions in this thread. Mauser does still make the M12 according to their website (the M03 is discontinued). And the Browning BAR was and still is made in 9.3x62, just not for the American market (check the Browning International website). Although neither are ideal dangerous game guns in my opinion.

I'm a huge fan of Prophet River, bought my CZ550 there! For the Canadian Market it seems like Prohpet River, Calgary Shooting Centre, Wolverine Supplies and Ellwood Epps are the best places to still find big bores.
I agree!! But their are so many small shops that have cool stuff pop up occasionally too, if you look long and hard enough. I once got an Empire Rifles .450 Rigby from a small shop in rural Ontario for about $3000. It had only ever fired 2 shots…..

Just to clarify a few small misconceptions in this thread. Mauser does still make the M12 according to their website (the M03 is discontinued). And the Browning BAR was and still is made in 9.3x62, just not for the American market (check the Browning International website). Although neither are ideal dangerous game guns in my opinion.
Not sure where you are looking but straight from the Mauser website...
1679871882227.png

And for a traveling hunter going to Africa, semi-auto rifles are not allowed for temporary import of sport/trophy hunting. This includes the Browning BAR, regardless of caliber.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a .458 Winchester Magnum.

It got a bad reputation in the 50's and 60's because of the bullets available at the time.

With modern bullets, it is a serious DG cartridge.

I have hunted for 46 years with primarily PF rifles and have never had a failure to feed with them. But, I have had one issue with a Ruger Model 77. No company's rifles are 100 % perfect.

One should not hunt DG alone!

View attachment 525384

And for a traveling hunter going to Africa, semi-auto rifles are not allowed for temporary import of sport/trophy hunting. This includes the Browning BAR, regardless of caliber.
That’s weird… the M12 still shows up for me. I wonder if it’s another case of not being offered in the USA? It was never really popular in North America anyway, although i
do have one and love it.
2BADE42D-6948-42A1-B5A1-5406A20AB298.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s weird… the M12 still shows up for me. I wonder if it’s another case of not being offered in the USA? It was never really popular in North America anyway, although i
do have one and love it.
View attachment 525479
I have two M12, 7mmRM and 338wm. But they aren't in bigger caliber, It isn't in 375h&h

In Europe the M12 is avaible

avaible M18, M12 and M98, in Big caliber only M98
NOT avaible M03

Last edited:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a .458 Winchester Magnum.

It got a bad reputation in the 50's and 60's because of the bullets available at the time.

With modern bullets, it is a serious DG cartridge.

I have hunted for 46 years with primarily PF rifles and have never had a failure to feed with them. But, I have had one issue with a Ruger Model 77. No company's rifles are 100 % perfect.

One should not hunt DG alone!
You are right about the .458 Win Mag. Anyone that thinks it isn't up to the task is about 50 years behind the times. Winchester had problems with compressed ball powder loads and manufacturing issues early on, but the cartridge is now quite capable of the earlier promise.

I have also hunted with mostly PF rifles over the last 50 plus years and have never had a feed or extraction issue personally, but I have seen one failure to feed on a buffalo hunt (close call!) and one failure to extract at the range. Both were PF actions. I only use CRF rifles for DG, but a lot of dangerous animals have been taken with Rem 700s and Weatherbys so it's a personal choice.

View attachment 525384

Here is the m12 in the mauser website...was talking to someone on the mauser stand at sci, and asked about the m12 as wasn't on show. Can't remember 100% but think they don't import to usa anymore due to the price and market....could be wrong as I said...also the m12 is and never was made in the big calibres...think 9.3x62 was biggest

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.37.32 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.37.32 AM Large.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.37.35 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.37.35 AM Large.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.37.37 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.37.37 AM Large.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.37.40 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.37.40 AM Large.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 44

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg