Affordable big bores no longer being offered by the big guys

Damn, RIP.
Seems your local shop was either honest with you or knew more about the situation than the guys I spoke to at safari outdoor in Pretoria.
pity about it as they were decent affordable rifles.

Seems your local shop was either honest with you or knew more about the situation than the guys I spoke to at safari outdoor in Pretoria.
pity about it as they were decent affordable rifles.
Yeah I got my info directly from the local distributer that imports Sakos. I had heard others on other online forums claiming this discontinuation as far back as Nov 2022.

I just hope they have another model coming down the line to replace the 85 with, aside from the 100.

Sako S20 is already there. I suppose it isn't to everybody's taste either.

I agree!! But there are so many small shops that have cool stuff pop up occasionally too, if you look long and hard enough. I once got an Empire Rifles .450 Rigby from a small shop in rural Ontario for about $3000. It had only ever fired 2 shots…..
Speaking of big bores, am I the only one seeing a boatload of 450 DRs being on the market? Given they are big bores I thought finding brass and bullets was tough right now and into the future?

Speaking of big bores, am I the only one seeing a boatload of 450 DRs being on the market? Given they are big bores I thought finding brass and bullets was tough right now and into the future?
I am not seeing these, please direct me toward where to look. I would heart one, .458 bullets are common as dirt compared to larger ones.

I am not seeing these, please direct me toward where to look. I would heart one, .458 bullets are common as dirt compared to larger ones.
Go to Gunsinternational. I just did and counted 6 before I got to page 3

LBW and other m9dels are to be had in ,375 and 9,3x62, 9,3x64.

It also say other chamberings on request.

They have made a "Eva Green" rifle and a model in .416 Rigby before, so parts, tools is around there.

Safety mechanism, stock ,sight ,trigger,magazine, which scope mount you want,and take down model,or ordinary System barrel swap you can order.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 7.50.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 7.50.55 AM.png
    801.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 7.50.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 7.50.57 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 39
I'm assuming the "Eva Green" rifle is extraordinarily beautiful.

Very nice looks a bit like a Hartmann and Weiss which is a huge compliment. Pic below is an image of a Hartmann & Weiss 505 Gibbs that I do not own! Wish I did.

B3dB6RX.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My solution for an affordable DG rifle: custom Mauser 66 converted to 416 Ruger.
The total costs (new barrel) including a used Kahles scope was about 2500€…

PS: on the same basis a 450 Rigby will be built by my gunsmith

IMG_0089.jpeg

Well I've been reaching out to several retailers and distributers this month regarding the Ruger Guide Gun in 416 Ruger and it sounds like it may be the next affordable option that gets the chopping block.

Ruger apparently doesn't have any left in inventory with none scheduled for production this year. It sounds like they focusing on their american rifles, 10/22s, PCC's etc.

I really wish I got into big bores 5 years ago before all these affordable options started to dry up.

They are out there on the secondary market but you have to really keep a lookout for any deals that may come up. If you find something you like or think you might like get it as soon as you locate it or it might be gone, quickly.

Well I've been reaching out to several retailers and distributers this month regarding the Ruger Guide Gun in 416 Ruger and it sounds like it may be the next affordable option that gets the chopping block.

Ruger apparently doesn't have any left in inventory with none scheduled for production this year. It sounds like they focusing on their american rifles, 10/22s, PCC's etc.

I really wish I got into big bores 5 years ago before all these affordable options started to dry up.
I would say just keep an eye on the used market and on the AH classifieds. I was able to find a great deal on a older U.S. made Winchester Safari Express. Just have to jump on it when one comes up for sale.

Yep.

A buddy of mine was in the market for a CRF Win 70 in 375... I just watched the classifieds here for a few weeks and a great deal popped up on a very nice one..

You just cant hesitate when a good offer is made.. if you dont buy it, someone else here certainly will..

It looks like both the Savage 110 and Mossberg Patriot are available in 375 Ruger. Thanks for reminding me about Weatherby, I believe the Mark V comes in dangerous game cartridges, although I'm guessing most are exclusively the hard-t-come-by Weatherby cartridges. I've also been pointed in the directon of Dakota Arms, Montana Rifle Company and Kimber, however I know virtually nothing about these companies.
Montana Rifle Company is not what it used to be. They sold their barrel making shop to Remington and it was dismantled and shipped to Alabama shortly before the Big Green foldup. I believe Sypes sold the rest to some out-of-staters. Quality control has suffered and awful customer support is fast becoming legendary. What a shame. Didn't Dakota Arms also fold up? Edit: Answered. Now Parkwest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hongduongcomvn

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois