Affordable 375s

Boomstick!

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Is there anything between a Caprivi ($3,000~) and the Dakota,Heym,Magnum Mauser class($8,000-$15,000) rifle? There seems to be a very big gap between 3 and 8 grand.
I’m pretty set on a Caprivi it has the features I want at a good price point but let’s say I have 5k for a safari rifle what’s out there?

How about a Winchester model 70 Safari Express bolt rifle ? Control round feed , deadly accurate , as reliable as a faithful spouse and a good , working man's rifle . A true piece of American old school ingenuity . I find them to be great values for the money. As a matter of fact , l dare say that if Winchester never started manufacturing their Model 70 bolt rifles with a .375 Holland & Holland magnum calibre chambering in 1937 , then the .375 Holland & Holland magnum calibre would never achieve the popularity that it did today .

Have you looked into The Montana Rifle Company's offerings. What about a CZ 550? I admit that these guns as well as the Winchester Mod. 70 Express rifles might be below your price point or expectations.

Just my two cents,

If you have 5k to spend on a rifle, and it’s not breaking the bank, then go for it and if you shop around, I’m sure eventually you’ll find a great rifle.

On the flip side, you can get a hunt ready out of the box, or used 375 for $1500, possibly less. Heck I had to turn down a ZKK602 for $900 Canadian a couple weeks ago because of my bank account. There are rifles on here for sale right now that will give you no issues in the field, and you can use the remaining $3500 for a longer hunt or more species.

I’m not saying don’t spend 5k on a rifle, all I’m saying is you don’t have to, to have a dependable hunting rifle. If you have the means, buy the best you can, and enjoy Africa!

Call Duke at Gulf Breeze Firearms and ask him what he has in that price range, it might surprise you at what you can get.

So correct! In my honest opinion there is no need to spend your budget. Here is what I have done with all my 12 rifles. I got a solid gun in the $1500 or slightly less range then immediately sent them to Hill Country Rifles in TX. There they were completely taken apart and trued with the result with my hand loaded ammunition I shoot MOA with each and everyone. What more could you ask

Look for a Whitworth

I say get a M70 or a CZ 550, then have a Smith modify it to your taste. It will be cheaper than the “top shelf” brands, and likely perform just as well.
What smith the one guy I’d have work on one in town is backed up months.

Have you looked into The Montana Rifle Company's offerings. What about a CZ 550? I admit that these guns as well as the Winchester Mod. 70 Express rifles might be below your price point or expectations.

I have looked at Montana and I would change some things same with the CZ and M70 and RSM and Whitworth. All great rifles but I’d want to change something on every one of them. Hell I’d change some things on a Kimber too. None of them are perfect.

That high end AHR with the AAA walnut stock is one sexy rifle.

I believe the best factory “production” rifle in the world is the Blaser R8. I should add that I shoot a lot of different rifles and base this assessment on a lot of personal experience - to include dangerous game. You can get a professional model in .375 dead center your budget.

Win 70 Safari Express for about $1300-1400. Put the rest of your money in trophies. For the ranges you'll be shooting it will work as well as anything three times the cost.

You could have a custom build for a lot less and it'd be a better, more accurate rifle to boot. It may not have super wood but wood hasn't killed any animals. Not interested? CZ, Winchester or others will kill just as good as a high dollar, bragging rights, niche rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois