Advise needed - Fallow Deer in South Africa

Mariette

Reaction score
Hi all. As a new hunter I'd appreciate some advise! My very first hunt last month was a Springbok which is obviously antelope and I now have a big interest in hunting Fallow deer as I would like to mount the horns as my next trophy - those antlers just fascinate me! But what I have learned was that they shed their antlers annually and then start to grow them all over again. So my question is, what time of the year would be the best time to hunt in Sputh Africa so that I'm sure to get a descent size antler? I'd hate to be all excited and plan my hunt only to find no antlers!

PS..I hope I posted in the right place :)

Cheers
M

Hi all. As a new hunter I'd appreciate some advise! My very first hunt last month was a Springbok which is obviously antelope and I now have a big interest in hunting Fallow deer as I would like to mount the horns as my next trophy - those antlers just fascinate me! But what I have learned was that they shed their antlers annually and then start to grow them all over again. So my question is, what time of the year would be the best time to hunt in Sputh Africa so that I'm sure to get a descent size antler? I'd hate to be all excited and plan my hunt only to find no antlers!

PS..I hope I posted in the right place :)

Cheers
M
Mariette welcome. March- April is a good time for fallow.

You can also shoot them in other countries, including Texas - a very popular animal on Exotic ranches. They are also decent eating.

You can also shoot them in other countries, including Texas - a very popular animal on Exotic ranches. They are also decent eating.
Thanks! I was wondering about the taste. Here in SA we make biltong but we mostly buy kudu or springbok so I have never tasted fallow. This will be a first!

They must shed/cast antlers in October/November in RSA?

Last edited:
If you can hunt them about 3 weeks after they loose their velvet the horns have gotten as big as they are going to get. They will have nice sharp points. Later in the year they become rounded and may have some broken tines. Mine ( see avatar ) loose their velvet in mid August. They loose their antlers mid April. But that is in Utah USA. Avatar pic taken last August.

If you can hunt them about 3 weeks after they loose their velvet the horns have gotten as big as they are going to get. They will have nice sharp points. Later in the year they become rounded and may have some broken tines. Mine ( see avatar ) loose their velvet in mid August. They loose their antlers mid April. But that is in Utah USA. Avatar pic taken last August.

Thanks Hagar! This is helpful - With Bos en Dal Safari's advise, I'll go in the new year around March / April for South Africa's best time for fallow. Just hope the velvet was shed by then - it looks gross! If I get one that still has it in tact, do I then try to preserve it like that when I want to mount the antlers or is there a method to take it off? Not sure what is best - if I leave it on do I need to treat it somehow so that it does not rot?

If the velvet is still intact and in good shape I would leave it on. The taxidermist will treat it so it wont deteriorate. If it is already coming off I would have the taxidermist strip it all off. Just my preferences. I have a mule deer mounted in the velvet. It's 10 years old and still looks great. They do look a little bigger in the velvet. I have been told that they inject it with formaldehyde. I am not sure.

If the velvet is still intact and in good shape I would leave it on. The taxidermist will treat it so it wont deteriorate. If it is already coming off I would have the taxidermist strip it all off. Just my preferences. I have a mule deer mounted in the velvet. It's 10 years old and still looks great. They do look a little bigger in the velvet. I have been told that they inject it with formaldehyde. I am not sure.
Got it! Thanks that makes sense. We do have a taxidermist in town so I will let them decide depending on what shape i find it in, like you said. Thanks a mil!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.