Advice on calibre

cmack21gbr

Reaction score
Hunted
Scotland, England, Hungary, Germany, Canada, France, United States, Russia
Looking at getting either a 416 or 458. Would love to have both but my girlfriend would end up using one of the two on me if I did. I already have a .375 and would love to have something slightly bigger for buffalo. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome aboard.
it would be great if you could find someone near you that would let you try both to help you make a decision. I have played with hot 45/70 loads in a Contender.
Largest rifle I have shot is a .416 Rigby that I own. .375 H&H was my go to for many years.
It is fairly stout. Not sure I have a need for anything larger.
Part of me has wanted a 505 Gibbs for 30 plus years. I will see if I ever work up to one.
Hope you find what you are looking for.
On edit, what rifle you chose, and how it fits you make a big difference as well as you recoil tolerance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. Ive hsard the 505 is a bit of a brute! I was lucky enough to shoot a 416 rigby and found it tolerable but never have managed to get my paws on 458...

Welcome aboard! I vote for .416 rigby

What rifles are you looking at? I’d say decide on the rifle that fits you best, either caliber will do job.
You might find this article interesting about 375 vs larger calibers on buffalo.

Caliber matters, so I'd go with the .458 as it is a bigger step up from .375.

Edit: Just saw the infamous pro .375 caliber article posted. The premise of that article is that those shooting larger calibers can't shoot hence .375 is the cat's meow as everyone can shoot it accurately. ;)

Thank you for the link! I was offered a 458 lott in a cz 550 for a very reasonable price but for about double a family friend offered me an old rigby. I was trying to justify to myself why I shouldnt spend double?

Thank you for the link! I was offered a 458 lott in a cz 550 for a very reasonable price but for about double a family friend offered me an old rigby. I was trying to justify to myself why I shouldnt spend double?
I’d love to own a rigby rifle given an affordable opportunity, only double price of a CZ seems like a rare deal (if in good condition).

What caliber is the Rigby?

the old fellow cant use it anymore and is without issue so is prepared to give me a rather large discount....

You will be much happier with the 416 Rigby. Plenty of punch for anything in Africa and a more versatile caliber than the 458.

If you can get a real Rigby in .416 for twice the price of a CZ, you are certifiably insane not to get that rifle - assuming it still has a stock and goes bang in the general direction of the target.

If you don’t want it, please give me the gentleman’s contact information.

Before moving up, how well do you handle the 375 H & H? my favorite buffalo rifle is one of my 416 Rigbys. Have taken eight buffalo with my 416 Remington and still prefer the Rigby. I think preference is a result of that particular rifle suiting me rather than caliber. I have used several other cartridges including a 375 and they all worked fine fore me.

If you can get a real Rigby in .416 for twice the price of a CZ, you are certifiably insane not to get that rifle - assuming it still has a stock and goes bang in the general direction of the target.

If you don’t want it, please give me the gentleman’s contact information.

Amen! Amen! Amen!
Stop typing, jump on the phone and say "I take it" and Paypal the money NOW ! :)

I would never dissuade someone from buying another firearm.
You should have the rifle you want for the hunt you want.
However...

Before you go 416 or 458, consider how many times you will use them.
And not just use them, but really NEED them.
Maybe save that $ for another animal on safari.
Truth is that a 375 will do just about everything most people need.

If you really want the Rigby, you should have it.
Stop reading and buy that thing.

Thank you everyone for the responses. Ive told the gentleman that i'll be taking the 416, just a small matter of collecting it when im next in london. Thank you again!

Just considering caliber I would go with a .458 to complement the .375. However, what @Red Leg said, you are certifiably insane if you don’t grab the Rigby if it is discounted to twice the price of a CZ!!! Oh, and if you don’t grab it, and for some reason Red Leg is sleeping at the switch, PM me and I will buy it!!!

My first choice would be a 458 win mag on a Mauser loaded with 480 woodleighs at 2150+ or 450 Barnes at 2250. If that Mauser happened to be a CZ, I would make sure it’s a 458 Lott because the mag box is long. I would still load the 480s to 2150+.

Sorry. Just saw the middle
Posts where you can get a Rigby at 2x the cost of a CZ. I’d take it ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg