Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Hi everyone as a relatively new member he I could use some advice. I am booked to hunt in SA next spring and I have heard that I should just carry a carry on as protection against my bags being stolen. Just how concerned should I be and if so what about the ammo? Do I just pack another little bag with the ammo in it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. John

Ammo has to checked. Coming back from RSA its required to be in a locked box. Enforcement has been spotty on that requirement, but its best to be prepared. I usually make sure I carry on my optics, camera, medicines and enough to get through the first couple of days in case my luggage is delayed. You may easily carry on all you need especially with daily laundry service, except of course your ammo. Your going to have to check something unless you use ammo purchased there or rent the rifle and ammo there. May as well add some candy for the kids etc. Bruce

johnnyblues,
Welcome to the Forum. You've come to the right place. You'll be amazed at the wealth of info already on this site and the helpfulness of the members.

gillettehunter is right. Any kind of weapons (guns, knives, bows, arrows) or ammo have to be checked. Other than that, you should pack in your carryon bag anything that you are not willing to risk having stolen. I may be cynical, but I have travelled *a lot*. If something is in your possession, it is not impossible for it to be stolen (or delayed/lost by the airline), but it becomes much more difficult. I only check bags when I can't be avoid it.

I always carryon clothes and toiletries for at least the first couple days, meds, plus any high value or fragile items (optics, range finder, computer, camera, cell phone, etc.).

Thanks for the info. I also have traveled for hunting quite extensively, this is just my first safari.. do you feel the chances of my bags being stolen are high?

I have not heard of checked items being stolen. Misdirected by the airline sure but stolen no. I pack like mtngoat so they cant break my valuable stuff but I don't worry about toiletries, I can buy them anywhere. Any medications you need should be in there though.

Thanks also for the info. I was just wondering if the chances of my bags being stolen higher in Africa then elsewhere.

Thanks everyone. guess I will pack as much as possible into my carry on and then pack a small bag with toiletries and ammo in another bag.

I agree with Diamondhitch. Lost/misdirected is the most likely problem. However, there are dishonest people everywhere. I try to never check a bag even in the continental US.

I agree with Diamondhitch. Lost/misdirected is the most likely problem. However, there are dishonest people everywhere. I try to never check a bag even in the continental US.

Oh no! Your one of those 2 big carry on people I hate having to either keep my carry on by my feet or somewhere that I cant keep an eye on it or worse having them check it because of no room caused by the multiple big carry on crowd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Baggage pilfering can be an issue through Joburg. There is no way for you to avoid Joburg.

Your best defence:
Nothing of value in your checked baggage. Cameras, etc. All in carryon.

Your ammo will not be stolen.

Lock your bag. You can shrink wrap it after they have checked your ammunition.
They have a service when you are leaving ORTAMBO.

Bags do get lost and delayed.
If there is more than one person going and both have ammo. Split the types of ammo between the two people. Only if they are both hunting.

You already know that you can not take ammo on the plane, so the guys that are just taking a carry on are renting a gun.

I have never had anything taken from my bag.
I have also left the cargo bag I use for a checked bag have completely unlocked and open.
I have a Canadian Flag on it though. (Knock on wood)

I have had outrageously delayed bags though.

Oh no! Your one of those 2 big carry on people I hate having to either keep my carry on by my feet or somewhere that I cant keep an eye on it or worse having them check it because of no room caused by the multiple big carry on crowd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wear your hunting boots and hunting socks, pants and hunting shirt (dark green pref. Kaiki is too light IMO) a wool pullover watch cap and bring your warm gloves. Yes I know it's summer in Atlanta and you look like a dufuss but it works. Put moccasins in a back pack along with your meds, optics, book, journal and pens plus other small stuff. Also in there put several blow up beach balls! Use a couple to give away to kids but use two to partially inflated to put your feet up on in flight. A foot rest so to speak. It's surprising how much help several inches of lift can be on the feet and legs. Take your boots off and moccasins on in flight. NOW, relax and enjoy the experience, OK?
You are ready to hunt when you get there IF nothing else arrives but chances are very good your luggage will be there with you. I haven't had a problem in the last 10 years going over there. Get and wear an "around the neck" passport pocket and keep your passport, drivers license, 4457 and gun permit from SA, money etc in there. Keep it inside your shirt NOT hanging around your neck loose, outside.

Where are you leaving from and where do you catch your SA flight? Let us know that and I'll pass along more help.

Wear your hunting boots and hunting socks, pants and hunting shirt (dark green pref. Kaiki is too light IMO) a wool pullover watch cap and bring your warm gloves. Yes I know it's summer in Atlanta and you look like a dufuss but it works. Put moccasins in a back pack along with your meds, optics, book, journal and pens plus other small stuff. Also in there put several blow up beach balls! Use a couple to give away to kids but use two to partially inflated to put your feet up on in flight. A foot rest so to speak. It's surprising how much help several inches of lift can be on the feet and legs. Take your boots off and moccasins on in flight. NOW, relax and enjoy the experience, OK?
You are ready to hunt when you get there IF nothing else arrives but chances are very good your luggage will be there with you. I haven't had a problem in the last 10 years going over there. Get and wear an "around the neck" passport pocket and keep your passport, drivers license, 4457 and gun permit from SA, money etc in there. Keep it inside your shirt NOT hanging around your neck loose, outside.

Where are you leaving from and where do you catch your SA flight? Let us know that and I'll pass along more help.

The footwear switcheroo is awesome. Heavy boots sure eat up baggage allowances and space and actually wearing them on a plane sucks.

Hey where did your mob get the swiss army knife! By comparison mine is ill prepared.

i just pay mine more :shades: if you look in the smilies its in the same batch as the mob

Lol..No I have a Red Oxx safari carry on bag. Fits in the over head compartment....At least that's what they claim..lol Guess I ll find out ...

Welcome to AH !

So far never had a problem with my baggage in SA, however, on the last trip my suitcase and guncase did get stranded in Zurich on the way back !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg