Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I have been eager to hunt a black bear, so I thought I would over-think it for a few years lol. My concern is the logistics. So, any advice for a DIY hunt is appreciated.

l have land west of Thunder Bay that is heavily wooded. I can't prebait because it is an 18 hour drive from my home! But maybe I could bait for a few days before actually hunting? Also near me is a large amount of crown land, some with recent clear cuts. The idea of spot and stalk is very appealing, but is it practical in this area? Also, we really can only shoot males, so a quick shot is probably out of the question.

I have found online lodges that sell self-guided hunts which include pre-baiting. But they seem to be $1300 and up! But, I am wondering if the logistical hurdles really make this the only feasible option.

Any opinions and advice is appreciated. Thanks.

I would go with the self guided lodges. The pre bait would be worth it to me for what I was paying. You've got to figure you'll have the cost of baiting and the extra days to do it that closes the distance even more.

I killed a toad with a semi guided camp in Savant Lake 6-7 years ago. Having the lodge and knowing where the bears are moving, would be pretty critical.

Wow, 18 hours? Google tells me that it's only 14 hours from my home in Saskatchewan to Thunder Bay!

You could try to find a good looking bear area and bait for a couple days before you hunt, but your odds are much better if the baits are already established in an area that has them already there for sure. I think @lil 2 sleepy gave some good advice on that.

I quit bait hunting quite a few years ago just because of the increased cost of prebaiting a couple of weeks before I hunted them just because it was getting to be expensive. And it is only a 4 hour drive for me. I've since started hunting in the fall over agriculture fields. It is definitely tougher to get a quick judgement on whether it is a male or female than it is over a bait, but as long as a female has no young of the year with her it is legal to shoot. I try to hunt the males, but the bears can make a pretty bad mess of my friend's oats, so he just wants them thinned out. So I'm also not looking solely for a trophy.

Good luck, let us know what route you take and how you do!

I’ve played with predator calling them some , I’ve not been able to connect while doing it but a good Friend of mine has. Couple points to remember. One your using yourself as bait and two always watch you six bears especially non dominant bears will try to circle you.

We have had bears come into a ripe fish stink bait in as little as 3 days, with a supply of raspberry jello flavour crystals on popcorn in the barrel. Way cheaper than dog food or donuts.
Or if you have a hunt buddy that could start the bait up a couple weeks ahead.

I would go with the self guided lodges. The pre bait would be worth it to me for what I was paying. You've got to figure you'll have the cost of baiting and the extra days to do it that closes the distance even more.

I killed a toad with a semi guided camp in Savant Lake 6-7 years ago. Having the lodge and knowing where the bears are moving, would be pretty critical.

Thanks, that is the way I am leaning. But, it's a shame to not use the land!

I’ve played with predator calling them some , I’ve not been able to connect while doing it but a good Friend of mine has. Couple points to remember. One your using yourself as bait and two always watch you six bears especially non dominant bears will try to circle you.

Holy crap! It would be very challenging to identify the gender. Probably best done as a team with another hunter facing the other way.

We have had bears come into a ripe fish stink bait in as little as 3 days, with a supply of raspberry jello flavour crystals on popcorn in the barrel. Way cheaper than dog food or donuts.
Or if you have a hunt buddy that could start the bait up a couple weeks ahead.

That may be an option in the future as most of the crew is retired/retiring now (not me!), but I think we need to set up a path or two and a bait site - some prep work. The camp is close to a small community, I suppose I could see if I could pay someone to carry smelly stuff out there.

Seriously, if its a good area then 18 hours isn't that much. Schedule it so that it becomes part of your routine property maintenance and preparation, or pay a local to do it. If it weren't for the non-resident restrictions, I had been thinking of buying a similar sort of property and flying across the world to use it.

I will likely be driving by you when your up there on my 22hr drive to Rainy River, a few tricks that will help you out.
Baiting is nice to keep them there and feed them up for multiple reasons
Honey or bacon burns work to a degree, all about the wind
Get a bag of dog food in a drum and pour some good fryer oil - will bring them in, hold them, let me know if you want a decent drum design - i dont do the open drums anymore, but also use oats to keep them there eating
Stink bait works great, but be warned, it smells
I take plastic pop bottles, toss in some raw liver then half fill with milk and set it out in the sun for a week or two. Be careful when its time to open the bottle, the gases will want to release quick, and getting "spewed" by a sour milk/rotten liver concoction will leave a lasting memory
Also depending on when i decide to head to Rainy, i can stop off and set up a bait, might be a few weeks before you head up

Seriously, if its a good area then 18 hours isn't that much. Schedule it so that it becomes part of your routine property maintenance and preparation, or pay a local to do it. If it weren't for the non-resident restrictions, I had been thinking of buying a similar sort of property and flying across the world to use it.
I see a lot of bear poop about. So I am sure they are there. Although, I haven't laid eyes on one yet. Had a pack of wolves very close one night. That was cool!

I actually quite like the drive. I have been told my entire demeanor changes as we pass North Bay! With that drive I feel like I need a week to get up, do the chores, and get home. So it eats into the time I set aside for vacations. My vacations are all about camp. But I have a wife who likes a more diverse approach to relaxation. Yeah, I don't get it either.

I will likely be driving by you when your up there on my 22hr drive to Rainy River, a few tricks that will help you out.
Baiting is nice to keep them there and feed them up for multiple reasons
Honey or bacon burns work to a degree, all about the wind
Get a bag of dog food in a drum and pour some good fryer oil - will bring them in, hold them, let me know if you want a decent drum design - i dont do the open drums anymore, but also use oats to keep them there eating
Stink bait works great, but be warned, it smells
I take plastic pop bottles, toss in some raw liver then half fill with milk and set it out in the sun for a week or two. Be careful when its time to open the bottle, the gases will want to release quick, and getting "spewed" by a sour milk/rotten liver concoction will leave a lasting memory
Also depending on when i decide to head to Rainy, i can stop off and set up a bait, might be a few weeks before you head up
A drum design would be appreciated. How do you choose the location?

Do you just make the one pre-hunt trip and fill the drum? Or do you do several?

Stop by for pancakes and bacon sometime!

I really wish Canada would legalize the dogging of bears that would be an awesome hunt.

Drum design is simple, metal drum with a drum lid, i chain it to a tree, dont need much chain, just enough so you can stand the drum upright. 1" or so holes drilled in, i tend to do them about 3/4 of the way up the drum, that allows 30 gallons of bait - popped popcorn, oats, corn, might toss on a bag of sugar to help, when the bear rolls the drum, bits of feed falls out, the more they work it the more they feed, but would take ages to finish it.
Where my place is i don't need to bait often, they are there and plentiful, i can bait day one and almost get action in a day - will use scents as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 6.05.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 6.05.45 PM.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 150
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 6.05.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 6.05.47 PM.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 142
Every single bear hunter who runs dogs in my area is nothing more than a road warrior and a tresspasser.

I have called the mnr numerous times on the same gang of slobs the last decade. All old overweight hillbillies who drive around with loaded rifles and walkie talkies running off other peoples baits and their properties. Slobs to say the least.

Every single bear hunter who runs dogs in my area is nothing more than a road warrior and a tresspasser.
I have called the mnr numerous times on the same gang of slobs the last decade. All old overweight hillbillies who drive around with loaded rifles and walkie talkies running off other peoples baits and their properties. Slobs to say the least.

seems you paint with a wide brush. You joined the forum an hour or so ago and begin by bashing on other local hunters? On a thread not pertaining to the actions you find offensive?

perhaps you truly do have a grievance with a local group of hounds men and if that is the case I’m sure it can be frustrating but to condemn the entire subset of hunters on the actions of those your having a grievance with is poor form.

To add to that we’ve got a wonderful group of gentleman on this forum not prone to jumping to conclusions, you’ll get far further with this crowd by stating the back story to the best of your ability and allowing others to form there own opinions than by simply slamming a group of individuals we’ve never met and assume anyone else is going to take your side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross