Advice for .375 H&H purchase needed

Winchester m70 Safari Express in 375 HH. By far the best bang for the buck. On the Win 70 375 being barrel heavy: I like mine because of that. It keeps the muzzle jump down and gets back on target quicker. Mine weighs in at 11 lbs scoped and loaded. The heavier weight helps with recoil, too. I use Barnes TSX 235s and 350s loaded a little warm and the recoil is more of a push than a jab. To me it's less than a 12 guage with slugs.

Winchester m70 Safari Express in 375 HH. By far the best bang for the buck. On the Win 70 375 being barrel heavy: I like mine because of that. It keeps the muzzle jump down and gets back on target quicker. Mine weighs in at 11 lbs scoped and loaded. The heavier weight helps with recoil, too. I use Barnes TSX 235s and 350s loaded a little warm and the recoil is more of a push than a jab. To me it's less than a 12 guage with slugs.

Agreed. I had the bbl on mine cut down to 22”. It balances very well and is amazingly accurate (1/2” moa).

I have a CZ550 Aramid stock with a #2 upgrade from AHR with a 22" barrel and a mercury recoil reducer.
Comes in at 11# loaded with a Leupold scope in Warne QD rings.
Pleasure to shoot, albeit a little heavy to carry all day but I don't mind.
Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Sorry to apparently go against the grain here, but I am with BeeMaa: CZ 550 without a second thought.

CZ > M 70
  • CZ has more reliable iron sights: integral island rear base + barrel band front sight. Screwed on iron sights DO fall off guns occasionally.
  • CZ rear sight 1 standing and 2 folding leaves are better.
  • CZ iron sights are actually regulated from factory (test target included).
  • CZ has integral scope bases. Screwed on scope bases DO come loose occasionally after a 100 of so shots on large caliber rifles.
  • CZ has 5+1 capacity.
  • CZ is up to $500 cheaper.
  • CZ has longer action. If .416 is considered, it accepts the .416 Rigby that operates at a significantly lower pressure than the .416 Rem Mag.
CZ = M70
  • Both CZ (with AHR safety) and Win have true firing pin blocking safety, i.e. 3 position safety.
  • Both CZ and Win are true CRF.
  • Both CZ and Win are 9 lbs and change.
  • Both CZ and Win will be more reliable with a Bell & Carlson synthetic stock with full length aluminum bedding block and pillars. Buy the kevlar/aramid stock directly from B&C rather than CZ ($271 vs. $425) for exactly the same item.
  • Both CZ and Win have good triggers. Some dislike the set trigger on the CZ, but they do not have to use it. Others love it.
  • Both CZ and Win have long reputations in Africa, although Win quality has been up & down through the years and they have had downright dangerous features such as a folding rear sight on the recent Super Express !?!? CZ has had a more steady "indestructible bush tool" reputation.
M70 > CZ
  • Current M70 Safari Express has barrel band front swivel stud (if this real bugs you, you can have AHR put a barrel band on a CZ)
  • M70 CRF available in stainless steel on the used market.
Feelings and personal likes & dislikes aside, the CZ (with AHR safety) is factually a better value; a better "bang for the buck;" and a better rifle that offers additional features that are very valuable in a safari gun.

I hope an analytical review of data helps :)

If you mean what you say Tra3:
A rifle is a tool that is made to get used hard.
then you will be hard pressed to find anything better than the "Eastern block tractor" of a rifle: the CZ/BRNO :)

PS 1: I do not mean to imply that the Win 70 CRF is not a great gun, I have three of them, but factually the integral scope bases and iron sights are an undeniable + for the CZ, as is the longer action, as is the added capacity.

PS 2: let us also keep in mind that Rigby themselves used nothing else but the BRNO/CZ action to build their exquisite bespoke $XX,000" rifles for years. There are a lot of reasons why, cost not being one of them :whistle:

Last edited:
I have two Winchester safaris 375 and 416 rem magnum. Just about everything else is a Sako. Take Action Bob’s advice and go with the Winchester.

I like both, I own 4 M70 crf’s and have a Rigby on the way. My dangerous game guns are custom jobs, I don’t think there’s a nickels worth of difference between them and AHR’s top CZ upgrade which my buddy shoots. Buy whichever one you prefer, you won’t be disappointed.

I own both a Winchester 70 and a CZ 550 in 375 H&H can’t go wrong with either.

My PH suggested that the .416 Remington is a great choice for a person who is going to hunt elephant and buffalo on a regular basis. He recommends a .375 for the hunter who might do those species occasionally but who hunts plains game primarily. He describes the .375 as "more than adequate" for DG. This is a funny thread because I have been going through the same debate. It was settled yesterday with a used .375 M 70 based on reviewing dozens of threads on this forum and hearing lots of good things. FN gun from SC, and so pristine I had to as them if it was actually used. I found it at a local shop that rarely has larger calibers because there is no market for them in my area, and after handling it I realized that this was the one. It fit perfectly.

I love my 9.3 x 62 but the .375 is legal for DG just about everywhere and I just wanted one.

Thanks,

Jeff
"And I just wanted one" covers it nicely. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,