ornery

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
South Africa
Okay here's the plan..........we, my wife and kids & I.....(yeah, I know how come a "seasoned fellow" like me has young ones), are planning a long term visit to SA. PE to be specific.
I have visited several times and owned a house there for a bit with the ex-wife.....any way I want to take the family and spend a year and a bit. The kids are going to attend a farm-school, (they are home schooled now), the wife is going to ride a lot,(she's an eventer and horse trainer) and the gunsmith is going to hunt where and when he can. I have friends in the Karoo that have farms, but I want to network and hook up with others to find some hunting I can afford. Make some deals, trade for I don't know what, BEG? whatever.

My largest question is my rifle. I would be satisfied with taking just the 375, or it and the 270, but I can't figure out how to do it exactly. I talked with Henry at riflepermits.com and he couldn't offer much help, other than his standard service.

I know I could hire a rifle, as I have in the past, but I really want to use my own if at all possible. Do any of you PH's or Outfitters have any advice? How about you well-traveled "rich guys" who go as often as you would like.....? ;)

I know the restrictions are based on time and so forth, but I need the outfitters letter of invitation and so forth as well as how do I explain that I want to arrange some of my hunting FROM SA?

I would REALLY appreciate ANY input I can get.

Any gunsmiths over there need a little experienced help? :eyecrazy:

I've got a lot of time to plan so I figured I would ask you fella's. My friend Amy at Pro Hunt Concierge says it should be easy to arrange, but when I start to follow the regulations things start to get cloudy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, you SA guys place your requests from now so I can weigh my baggage...:eyecrazy: :cool:

Arrange with a South African outfitter and bring a permanent import which he buys from you on a deal you guys agree on after you are done with the firearm... :)

My best always

as a matter of interest when do you expect to be in SA ?

Jaco, thanks for the response! I had not thought of that particular scenario....I am not sure that I would want to part with my rifle. It was 10 years in the finding of the model, caliber and condition....not sure I could do that...but it is worth exploring. Know any outfitters that could be of assistance :bulb:

bass, Probably leaving this November or December.....

ornery,
On what kind of visa are you coming over, on a work permit or vacation visa? That would determine the options open for bringing in your rfle(s).

Just a visitor visa...We have stayed as long as several months in the past. :)

b u m p....:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaliaPace

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross