Advice and Ideas on Extended Trip

ornery

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa
Okay here's the plan..........we, my wife and kids & I.....(yeah, I know how come a "seasoned fellow" like me has young ones), are planning a long term visit to SA. PE to be specific.
I have visited several times and owned a house there for a bit with the ex-wife.....any way I want to take the family and spend a year and a bit. The kids are going to attend a farm-school, (they are home schooled now), the wife is going to ride a lot,(she's an eventer and horse trainer) and the gunsmith is going to hunt where and when he can. I have friends in the Karoo that have farms, but I want to network and hook up with others to find some hunting I can afford. Make some deals, trade for I don't know what, BEG? whatever.

My largest question is my rifle. I would be satisfied with taking just the 375, or it and the 270, but I can't figure out how to do it exactly. I talked with Henry at riflepermits.com and he couldn't offer much help, other than his standard service.

I know I could hire a rifle, as I have in the past, but I really want to use my own if at all possible. Do any of you PH's or Outfitters have any advice? How about you well-traveled "rich guys" who go as often as you would like.....? ;)

I know the restrictions are based on time and so forth, but I need the outfitters letter of invitation and so forth as well as how do I explain that I want to arrange some of my hunting FROM SA?

I would REALLY appreciate ANY input I can get.

Any gunsmiths over there need a little experienced help? :eyecrazy:

I've got a lot of time to plan so I figured I would ask you fella's. My friend Amy at Pro Hunt Concierge says it should be easy to arrange, but when I start to follow the regulations things start to get cloudy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, you SA guys place your requests from now so I can weigh my baggage...:eyecrazy: :cool:

KWALATA SAFARIS

Sponsor
Since 2021
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.kwalata.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, PHASA, IPHA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Tanzania
Arrange with a South African outfitter and bring a permanent import which he buys from you on a deal you guys agree on after you are done with the firearm... :)

My best always

bassasdaindia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
as a matter of interest when do you expect to be in SA ?

ornery

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa
Jaco, thanks for the response! I had not thought of that particular scenario....I am not sure that I would want to part with my rifle. It was 10 years in the finding of the model, caliber and condition....not sure I could do that...but it is worth exploring. Know any outfitters that could be of assistance :bulb:

bass, Probably leaving this November or December.....

JHN

Reaction score
Member of
SAHGCA
Hunted
South Africa
ornery,
On what kind of visa are you coming over, on a work permit or vacation visa? That would determine the options open for bringing in your rfle(s).

ornery

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa
Just a visitor visa...We have stayed as long as several months in the past. :)

ornery

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa
b u m p....:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nnwaowheng1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.