Advice 404 Jeffrey or 416 rigby for a first DG rifle

Sako 85 Brownbear available in 416 Rigby and 500 Jeffery now

I knew they were being made in 416 but didn't know about the 500 , I had a 375 Brown Bear that I eventually sold .

what is the advertised weight of the 500 ?

PM sent on the 500

PM sent on the 500

Hi Dave , I don't have a 500 for sale , I had a Sako Brown Bear in 375 that I sold , and to be honest I don't think I would want a Sako in 500

cheers

I am biased, but love my 416 Rigby.

I have both calibres. They are both exceptionally accurate. I have shot off a Leadsled from the bench and off hand. Groups from the bench are and inch or less at 100yds. Offhand I can generally hit within 4" of the bullseye with both calibres. I personally have found that the 404 kicks less that my 416 Rigby. My CZ 550 416 Rigby weighs about 11lbs with scope and full mag. The 404 I have is custom built on an M70 barrelled action. Stock is synthetic. Total weight is around 9lbs. I had posted a Youtube video of me shooting my 404 here an AfricahHunting. Here is the youtube link again for your convenience:
I personally would go with the 404 Jeffery. Just an all around classic.
As I mentioned before what is funny is the conversation in the background by two gentleman who are discussing then discussing more aggressively then arguing about the scope adjustment on their rifle. It goes on for about 5 minutes after I stopped recording.
The gentleman closest to me has a 338 Lapua with a muzzle break. He was shooting it where I was standing a couple of weeks before. I was down by the far wall (about 30ft) and could still feel the muzzle blast.

Weight on my 500 Jeffery 9.5 lbs a little light for that caliber but very manageable
Will add some weight as long as balance can be maintained, quick pointing more important than loosing handling qualities

Go with the .404 Jeffrey, more traditional.

I was disappointed recently when I received a response from Speer customer service. I asked if/when they had any plans to produce bullets in .423" diameter. The response was a question: What cartridge would use .423" bullets? I guess some companies are slow to read the news.

No surprise about Speer. They haven't been exactly leading the way with any effort on new hunting bullet R&D for years. I shoot them rarely and for the same purpose as any cheap bullet... purely as a way to save money for practice.

Last edited:
For what its worth I have a Ruger # 1 chambered in .416 Rigby. It hits like "The Hammer of Thor" on both ends.
20151205_152605.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross