Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC - Lifetime Member, NRA
Hunted
South Africa, Argentina, US (TX, NM, SD), Botswana
So, I recently got back from my first Africa trip. It. Was. Amazing. Now my 10 year old wants to go and I want to get my Dad to go. So the plan I’m working on now is to try to get my Dad, myself and my 10 year old over to Africa in 2020. I told my 10 year old if he saves $1500 by the time he’s 13, I would take him (hence 2020). He’s already saved $100, so I guess I need to start saving too! My Dad has always dreamed of hunting a big ole dagga boy, but has never been to Africa. I’ll be happy just to be there, although I do need the settle the score with a Kudu...

So the question I guess I have is, has anyone done a 3 generation hunt (I’m sure people have) and what questions should I ask? What should I expect? Can all of us hunt together? Just general advice on the best way to pull this off, logistics, things that might be different with a group hunt, etc. I realize it’s a long ways off but I don’t think it’s ever to early to dream and plan!

Pm sent

Not a 3 gen hunt but my daughter and I went together. We had a great time hunting together and sightseeing. We also hunted one day apart. How it works out would depend on the people in the 3 gen hunt and the outfitter/PH you select.

In South Africa I have done several 3 generation hunts. Have been great and very emotional at times. Twice it was the last time the families were ever together.

Sure you can hunt together. If not, choose another outfitter.

Take lots of time so there is no pressure.
Some days your dad may want to hunt alone and you will do well to take it as it comes

It should be great fun.

I recently returned from hunting and a group of Danish hunters were at the same place for some of the time, there were three generations of them.
The grandson hunted mainly with the grandfather because it was a good way for them to spend time together and the father hunted alone or with his wife.
Father and son might have hunted together after I departed, I don't know but they all enjoyed it.
Make it work how you want it to and what suits you best.

I had a 3 generation hunt with @Pheroze last year. It is a very fun hunt and everyone share in each other's excitement. Please drop me a PM or mail @Mike B , and I will be more than happy to swap some ideas with you.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Of course you can all hunt together, after all that is what such a hunt is about.

I hope you can make this trip happen with father and son!

So, I recently got back from my first Africa trip. It. Was. Amazing. Now my 10 year old wants to go and I want to get my Dad to go. So the plan I’m working on now is to try to get my Dad, myself and my 10 year old over to Africa in 2020. I told my 10 year old if he saves $1500 by the time he’s 13, I would take him (hence 2020). He’s already saved $100, so I guess I need to start saving too! My Dad has always dreamed of hunting a big ole dagga boy, but has never been to Africa. I’ll be happy just to be there, although I do need the settle the score with a Kudu...

So the question I guess I have is, has anyone done a 3 generation hunt (I’m sure people have) and what questions should I ask? What should I expect? Can all of us hunt together? Just general advice on the best way to pull this off, logistics, things that might be different with a group hunt, etc. I realize it’s a long ways off but I don’t think it’s ever to early to dream and plan!

Go! I can't encourage you too much. We hunted at @KMG Hunting Safaris and they did a great job getting my two boys and my 81 year old father on game. I have very special memories of Marius trying to get my youngest son his first animal with a bow.

This year, just one year later, I hunted moose without anyone else from my family - both boys were too busy with school, and my father can't go into that kind of swamp. I am so glad we went as a family. It's strange how life seems like a marathon, and a sprint, all at the same time.

The only advice I have is concerning the flight. My father found the long flight very tough. By the time we got home he was quite uncomfortable. It may be worth upgrading your dad's seat, even for the return.

Yes sir you can do it and I strongly recommend that you undertake such a safari. Talk with Pieter at Pawprint Safaris and he will hook you up.

Very doable indeed. Sounds like an exciting adventure. PM sent.

Three generations in a hunt is a great stuff........there are plenty of good outffiters here to get a good plan.......I have done it many times here in Argentina and mostly for doves and duck hunting......a great experiencie.....!!!!

Sounds to me like a great idea and actually more common than u think
I have hosted a few of these no problems
Send me a
Pm if u need more advice or questions
Kind regards

@Mike B, it seems you've got your answer now. I think what I'd concentrate on now is more how you'd do your hunt and who hunts with who and when.

I definitely would not take a 10 year old on a buff hunt. I know if I'd tried that with one of mine if I'd been inclined to, momma bear would've emerged quickly from my otherwise easy going wife. 13 is still questionable in my mind. My current 14 year old, I would not hesitate to do that with. A year ago, nope. A year can make a big difference. He has in the last year changed from a boy to a young man and the maturity level is far different.

Whatever the case, do it if you can, I don't think you'll ever regret the decision. As far as the details go, that will work itself out.

Namibia Free- Range!
The game rich Mountains and the World famous Kalahari I can show you. Elephants, Rhionos, Cheetahs etc.
hunting with your Son and Grandfather Plains game in both areas will be an Safari they will never forget!
Contact me on philip@khomas-highland-hunting.com if you are interested!
Best regards from Nam
Philip
P.S we are greater Kudu hunters

Last July my son, grandson and I hunted in Namibia with Kowas Adventures and had an amazing experience. This hunt was for plains game although Jacques now has his big game liscense. We hunted 10 different species of game and harvested all that each had on their wish list, a total of 15 animals. 2 animals could not be scored because they were Zebra, 3 were silver medal, and 10 were gold medal. ( 1 Kudu, 4 Oryx, 1 black and 1 Blue Wildebeest, 1 Warthog, 1 Red Hartebeest, and an Eland). The accomaditions were excellent. Your family will be the only ones in camp. They will devote 100% of their time to your needs. I do not think you will be disappointed.

@Mike B, it seems you've got your answer now. I think what I'd concentrate on now is more how you'd do your hunt and who hunts with who and when.

I definitely would not take a 10 year old on a buff hunt. I know if I'd tried that with one of mine if I'd been inclined to, momma bear would've emerged quickly from my otherwise easy going wife. 13 is still questionable in my mind. My current 14 year old, I would not hesitate to do that with. A year ago, nope. A year can make a big difference. He has in the last year changed from a boy to a young man and the maturity level is far different.

Whatever the case, do it if you can, I don't think you'll ever regret the decision. As far as the details go, that will work itself out.

Momma Bear already questioned my sanity! But I think at 13 I would be ok with it. Now our 7 year old I don’t think would be mature enough at 13. He’s just the goofball kid. My 10 year old has been hunting the last 2 years and is in 4H target shooting. He takes it all serious and I think would understand the dangers. That being said, I wouldn’t hesitate to hold him back if I don’t think he’s ready, injury or worse wouldn’t be worth it for sure!

Thanks for all the feedback all! It’s good to hear others perspectives!

Hi Mike,
Yes, there is a great experience for the family. We have done it a few times already and always a great trip for everyone.
On our last family hunt with 3 generations, we had 25 family members in camp and Granpa hunted with all his grandchildren . So was quite special.
We did combine some turism aswell for them so the whole family enjoyed. 100% advisable .
Let us know if you want some info or help to organise it. Drop me a PM.
regards

Dear Mike B
We trust that you would cherish your memories of your 1st African safari. Since our children is the future of hunting, it is therefore our responsibility to be mentors to the youth and next generation to teach them hunting. Hunting 3 Generations together, could be bonding time, starting a new tradition (or continuing the tradition), teaching conservation while having fun, building an interest while connecting with the outdoors, developing life skills while building confidence, not even to mention teaching responsibility and rifle safety. What a privilege to be able to schedule such a special event that you would surely cherish for a lifetime!
Our advise: Ask references from your outfitter that you are considering if they have dealt with a similar situation in the past.
Talk to references.
Ensure that you know what you want, and you settle for nothing less.
If you can dream it, you can do it...it is within your reach with a proper prior planning (which) prevent pity poor performance...
We are sure that your outfitter would cater for your individual need since it is a special event.
Yes, we have hosted 3 generations hunts before and it remain a special event for us as the Strauss family and the Kowas team. Surely something NOT to take for granted.
Straight shooting...and happy hunting for your next hunting destination...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg