Adventure show star charged with Alaska hunting violations

A friend who is a criminal lawyer (for criminals, not a lawyer who is a criminal!) says the people he represents have one thing in common: "they don't own their sh*t'."

Says it all for me.

You have to enter this one in the Free Hunt Competition.

You have to enter this one in the Free Hunt Competition.
Did I miss free hunt competition? If this could be an entry, must be for springhare?

I understand, but we shouldn't ever let the bad guys cause us to lose faith in "benefit of the doubt." This is one of the pillars of our legal system which separates us (common law countries) from dictatorships.

Our response should be simple: no one wants to see game laws enforced more than hunters, and no one does more than hunters to enforce those laws. We don't say driving should be banned because people speed or drive under the influence every day. Same with hunters.

I think the average non-hunter gets that.

Hank2211,

My point is, someone who would try to use a second tag and back date it, is willing to do more illegal activities than just that. I haven't heard any of them (hunter / guides) saying it was all a mistake, and I'm just saying if they did, I wouldn't believe them.

I learned to do the right thing when I was 9 years old out fishing with my best friend's dad. Caught the biggest fish of my life - a 17 1/2" northern pike. Minimum in Michigan at the time was either 18 or 19". Mr. Wolfe told me I had to release it. I was mad at him and mad at the world. Then we motored back to the boat ramp. Fish & Game officer was checking catches. Mr. Wolfe just looked at me and smiled.

John

Did I miss free hunt competition? If this could be an entry, must be for springhare?

I'd throw in link but somehow I do not think the purveyor of the free hunt would want to be associated with this thread.

You can always add Springhare.

Marius had a whack of these little devils running around.

Should have fess'd up. It went south when they didn't, got worse when the guides got the second tag with the intention of trying to DECEIVE. The nail in the coffin was the false testament. thi9elsp has it right. They are clearly people of disrepute that simply make it harder for others doing it right.

Former Miss Kansas, Theresa Vail pleaded guilty Wednesday to a count of taking a bear without a permit. A charge of falsifying information about the bear tag was dismissed, in exchange for Vail agreeing to testify, if asked, against the guides who were with her on the hunt that day.

More from KWCH.com
In a conference call with the court in western Alaska, Vail's attorney said it was Vail's first time hunting big game, and she was using professional guides. Vail called it an "inadvertent mistake" when she shot a female grizzly, while trying to finish killing another bear when it didn't go down after the first shot.

Vail's attorney told the court Vail wanted to report the mistake, but the guide service instead came up with a plan to drop a tag by plane into the field to go with the second dead bear. Vail then falsified information that the tag was obtained before the hunt.

Her attorney says Vail was encouraged to participate in the scheme by the guides, and that she was the one who reported the accidental kill after the hunt.
The court fined Vail $750 and ordered her to pay part of the $1,300 in restitution. She will also be on probation for a year.

Vail told the judge by phone, she should have been more forthright in reporting the inadvertent shooting and promised he wouldn't see her name in court again, unless she was called to testify.

The hunt last spring was filmed for Vail's television show that focuses on the outdoors, but the episode was never broadcast.

In a conference call with the court in western Alaska, Vail's attorney said it was Vail's first time hunting big game, and she was using professional guides. Vail called it an "inadvertent mistake" when she shot a female grizzly, while trying to finish killing another bear when it didn't go down after the first shot.

That be an Oops!

The penalty wasn't all that expensive, the judge was fair.

Should have followed her gut and just reported it in the first place and not "pressured" into going the cheap route. I hope she learned from this experience.

I would say the Judge was quite lenient !

Glad she came clean. About what I expected had happened. Very disappointed the guide service were the ones that came up with the scheme. Of course, this is her version. It will be interesting to hear the follow up on what the guide's and outfitter's versions are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois