Adventure show star charged with Alaska hunting violations

Friend of mine, who guides out of BC, was trekking a goat hunter up to the high country with an intern along. They were attacked by a grizzly sow. Intern, young Dutch woman, had her pack ripped off, friend was playing dodge a claw around a large tree, and the client nailed the bear with a .300 short mag (only rifle along - which is another discussion). They camped on the spot, called it in, and spent the next two days being the principal subjects of a "murder" investigation. Eventual decision was a justified kill. Easy thing would have been to walk away. Had they been caught doing that, the result would have been very different.

Friend of mine, who guides out of BC, ............. They camped on the spot, called it in, and spent the next two days being the principal subjects of a "murder" investigation. ...............
I'll bet the "probe" in BC was not a pleasant experience.
Glad they made it out safe and sound from both attacks.

"According to the criminal complaint, Vail hunted with Miller and used a right-handed bolt action rifle even though she's left-handed".

This is against the law?

Agree that this is total BS. IF a mistake was made ( and we all know that these mistakes happen )... FESS up and do the right thing and face the music... less consequence. BUT, trying to cover it up and forging docs to that affect is NOT ON for anybody... EVEN worse for such "celebrities" with high exposure to Public Domain and Social Media...if you are in the spot light, step carefully at all times!!!

Bro I agree but unfortunately multi million dollar pr campaigns is the world we live in. We can either get with the times or watch as everything we love is taken away from us. I hate that it's that way but it just is and whether we like it or not that's what's happening. Money talks and bullshit walks. It's a fact of life.

Get this, and agree it will be hard to change, if not impossible.

Heck, why do you really think that we have all of the government hand out programs that we have? It is because that is what people want - the easy thing, not the right thing. The problems we are discussing are so much bigger than just hunting unfortunately.

I will admit, I'm smart enough o know what the problem is. I don't know that I'm smart enough to know what the solution is. Complex issue for sure.... And by no means am I saying we should give up. Working with facts is simply a tougher row to hoe than working with emotion....

"According to the criminal complaint, Vail hunted with Miller and used a right-handed bolt action rifle even though she's left-handed".

This is against the law?

I did that last weekend.... don't tell anyone....

Huh? What lack of response? And how is this part of a trend? I'm sorry, but what would cause anyone in their right mind to try to lessen the impact of what these three idiots did? And I don't mean shooting the sow. She may have been fined, but standing up and admitting to the mistake was the right course of action. And around that, the hunting community could have supported her. Hell, her publicity advisors could have turned her into a virtuous martyr who would still have a TV show. Now, if the press report is correct, she, and the two idiots with her, are nothing but the latest criminals attempting a cover-up. Makes me sick. And it does, absolutely, undermine our sport.
What I meant was a lack of response condemning them for their actions by the hunting community. The trend I was referring to was the news outlets picking up on this story and running with it after cecil.

I agree whole heartedly. I'm not say we should stand behind these idiots. I'm saying we as sportsman are only getting bad press. We need a PR campaign to support the 99% of good ethical hunters and show the positives of what we as conservationists actually do. Then when idiots like this make bad choices it doesn't lump us all with them. The public opinion of hunters is what we are loosing because of idiots like this. The media lives reporting on the bad, which is a very small minority. We need to show the good in what we do. That's what I'm saying
My opinion exactly Eric...That is what I was trying to say.

I learned many, many years ago "It's a whole lot easier to tell the truth".
No one and nothing is perfect, especially hunting dangerous game. If you get in a situation and make a mistake, own up to it. You'll get down the road a lot quicker and save your reputation.

In the end, all we have is our Lord and our name.

Remember the George Washington and the cherry tree story ? Just tell the truth girl and everything will be ok! "Stupid is,Stupid does"
This young lady can kiss the TV show and sponsorships so long......heck of a way to end what could have been a career.

What I meant was a lack of response condemning them for their actions by the hunting community. The trend I was referring to was the news outlets picking up on this story and running with it after cecil.

Sorry about that. Misread what you were saying.

Just a side note to this story... I was in Alaska in August. an hour after arrival, my guide was checking paperwork, tags, etc. I did not have a PRINTED copy of my hunting license. I had the license number and tags, but not a printed copy. We spent three hours on phones, etc, and I paid for another charter to fly out a paper copy to me. MY MISTAKE, I got it fixed, and went on to hunt. I would never put a guide in a position that would compromise his livelihood or profession. These guides should have been more responsible and not allowed the client to cover up the mistake.

I did that last weekend.... don't tell anyone....
ALL my rifles are right hand bolts but I shoot left handed... work the bolt with my right hand. Grew up that way since started hunting with my dad at age 6.. have no issues what so ever with the quick re chambering etc.

Sorry about that. Misread what you were saying.
Not a problem my friend. Guess when my Sicilian blood starts a pumpin I get stupid.;)

ALL my rifles are right hand bolts but I shoot left handed... work the bolt with my right hand. Grew up that way since started hunting with my dad at age 6.. have no issues what so ever with the quick re chambering etc.

Totally agree! when I said I did it last weekend, I shout two deer at once. the reoload for the second wasn't an issue, unless you were the deer. ;)

I do have a couple of left hand bolts now and love them, but they sure aren't a requirement.

Remember the George Washington and the cherry tree story ? Just tell the truth girl and everything will be ok! "Stupid is,Stupid does"
This young lady can kiss the TV show and sponsorships so long......heck of a way to end what could have been a career.

She may temporarily lose the show and the sponsors, but in a year or so most of the viewers and sponsors will have forgotten about this incident, or just not care, and there will be new sponsors and new shows.

The real disappointment in this story is Wade Renfro's Alaskan Adventures. I had heard many good things about this outfit prior to this story. If the charges are true, it's too bad to throw away a good reputation over an incident that would not have been nearly as bad if they had not tried to cheat the rules and cover it up.

Erik,

I'm with you. My brother is a retired USFWS field agent. That's probably what he would have done if it was a mistake and was called in immediately. I'm fed up with people like this. Nugent and his crap from Alaska and California. These hunting hosts who scream and celebrate the death of an animal vs. giving it reverence.

I am done with benefit of the doubt on these criminals.

John
I understand, but we shouldn't ever let the bad guys cause us to lose faith in "benefit of the doubt." This is one of the pillars of our legal system which separates us (common law countries) from dictatorships.

Our response should be simple: no one wants to see game laws enforced more than hunters, and no one does more than hunters to enforce those laws. We don't say driving should be banned because people speed or drive under the influence every day. Same with hunters.

I think the average non-hunter gets that.

I'm going to ask a completely stupid question. If this is a 2 bear area, why didn't she have 2 tags to begin with. Would this have solved the problem before it even started? I think a tag is 500 to 600 dollars (Alaskan members please keep me honest).

Also, I'm pretty sure self reporting this would have been a small fine, confiscating the 2nd bear, no news, and everyone would move on. Falsifying records could make this perjury. The cover up sounds so bizarre especially with a film crew there taping it!!!

Hope that the film crew didn't get into any trouble (lose their jobs) over doing the right thing. Fish and Game folks here in AK are pretty easy to deal with when one is up front and honest with them. I have heard of people illegally shooting moose and calling F&G after the fact to turn themselves in and just had to turn over the meat and antlers with a small fine ($200). Small price to pay as getting caught would have probably cost him at least 7-8X that and confiscation of equipment and revocation of hunting privileges for at least a year. The right thing to do will also cost you less in the long run not to mention ease your conscience, although those that don't report right away probably don't have a conscience.

I'm going to ask a completely stupid question. If this is a 2 bear area, why didn't she have 2 tags to begin with. Would this have solved the problem before it even started? I think a tag is 500 to 600 dollars (Alaskan members please keep me honest).

Also, I'm pretty sure self reporting this would have been a small fine, confiscating the 2nd bear, no news, and everyone would move on. Falsifying records could make this perjury. The cover up sounds so bizarre especially with a film crew there taping it!!!
But that's the problem with some people. Often, doing the right thing is easier and cheaper (in many ways) in the long run. So we all say "why didn't they just call the authorities and say 'I screwed up.'

Because some people can't or won't admit they were wrong. When faced with a quick decision, these people invariably pick the hide and seek option, instead of the accept responsibility option.

I don't know if these people can change. I tend to think not, because I think it goes back to how they were brought up.

A friend who is a criminal lawyer (for criminals, not a lawyer who is a criminal!) says the people he represents have one thing in common: "they don't own their sh*t'."

Says it all for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg