Adult onset hunter prepping for Uganda

Swedishboa

Reaction score
Hi All, stoked to be here. I'm in Utah and hunt mostly elk and deer. My company imports a fair amount from Uganda so I find myself there for work every now and then so I've decided to make a longer trip of it next time and chase some buffalo. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated. Will most likely be hunting with a sako 375 h&h.

Good bullets like 300 grain swift a frames and lots of practice. Also make sure you pick up a few of the plains game while you are there where possible.

Words of wisdom? Would be much easier to show than tell. Book my passage and tucker/ trophy fee and I’ll show ya everything I know. Won’t take very long.

Welcome to AH Swedishboa!

I have been to Uganda a couple of times but never hunted there. Nevertheless I have watched many videos of hunting there and I was surprised to see a buffalo hunt taking place with cattle and herdsmen in the frame. I hate to think what would happen if one of the cattle fell to a pass through, or worse still the herdsman was hit. So my humble advice is to be doubly sure of any shot and only use softs with zero chance of pass through.

I have my first Uganda cape buffalo hunt booked for next March. It is with Worldwide Trophy Adventures, Tim Herald is the owner. I do know I have to have a yellow fever vaccine, which I just recently took. I am also doing Hep A and will do typhoid before I go. There appear to be buffalo and more buffalo there to hunt, wish I could share more information with you. I had hoped to take my double rifle, but based on what I have seen online in videos I will opt to take my 375 H&H bolt rifle.

Welcome from a fellow Utahn-have always wanted to do a big hunt in Uganda. Enjoy the planning and preparation and get in lots of practice off sticks. Good luck!

Hi All, stoked to be here. I'm in Utah and hunt mostly elk and deer. My company imports a fair amount from Uganda so I find myself there for work every now and then so I've decided to make a longer trip of it next time and chase some buffalo. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated. Will most likely be hunting with a sako 375 h&h.
Welcome to AH! I will be hunting in Uganda next month with Jacques @JKO HUNTING SAFARIS. If you’re in need of an outfitter, please let me know if we can help you.

Why would you have to use your bolt instead of your double?

Giday Swedishboa and welcome to the A H forums.

Welcome aboard and best of luck!

Heading to Uganda myself in a few months!

I have been thinking about hunting Uganda. I hope that everyone posts hunting reports. Need to see what all is available there.
Bruce

Hello Swedishboa,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Also, I am +1 with those who have already recommended the Swift A-Frame bullet / 300 grains in your .375 H&H.

It is as good as it gets for buffalo and it is also great for so called “plains game”.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Welcome to AH.

Those Ugandan impala and waterbuck are BEAST also !

:S Welcome:

Welcome!

I suggest you read @JES Adventures hunt report from his Uganada hunt and then PM him to get even more info.

Why would you have to use your bolt instead of your double?
The distances are longer in the area of Uganda I will be hunting at. I've watched many videos of this area and the guys who use doubles when possible seem to all be using bolt guns. I have a Kimber Talkeetna that I have had the barrel cut down and re-tapered so I am anxious to use that anyway. I'll take my double to Cameroon next March for buffalo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SheritaFow

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you