Added a Super Blackhawk Bisley 480 Ruger to the stable

I miss revolver shooting! I even shoot at Bisley and we have no chance of getting a hand gun :(

Bisley%20480%20Group_20_Shots_28_Oct_2016_zpsvwbbsjiz.jpg

Finally found a combination that seems to work, after making some sight adjustments, this 395gr bullet and Hodgdon Longshot powder seem to be an accurate combination. Had 3 called fliers and one trigger punch oops.

Attachments

• Bisley 480 Group_20_Shots_28_Oct_2016_zpsvwbbsjiz.jpg
    Bisley 480 Group_20_Shots_28_Oct_2016_zpsvwbbsjiz.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 213
Last edited by a moderator:
That certainly puts a full-sized hole into whatever it hits!

These bullets, at a mere 1100fps really don't like to stop, 4 milk jugs of water and 16" of soft dirt. I don't think anything in North America is likely to stop one. Nice thing is, recoil isn't any worse than my 44 or 45 with heavy bullets, and not even in the same league as my 454.

While the jkt bullet is lighter, the cast bullet usually runs at a little less pressure so you can often use a little more powder. MP 300 is said to be like W296 but I think it may be a tad slower if anything. I would start a little lower, whatever the manual says if it does, then work up for accuracy keeping an eye on anything that looks suspicious. You cant really use the old rifle pressure indicators like primers because of the lower pressures involved, so it pays to be cautious. If you start getting craters or real flat primers, you are probably on the ragged edge.
I tried 22.5 grains of MP 300 and had very hard case extraction, I went down to 20.5 and everything was OK.

I use the Montana Bullet Works 420 gr. WLN-GC sized .476
21 gr. 296 = 1105 fps.
21.5 gr. 296= 1145 fps.
With my gun I get 1'' to 1.5''- 5 shot groups at 25 yards.
I installed a taller front sight to get it on target.

Last edited:
I have a Ruger super Blackhawk Bisley in 480Ruger. I’ve been shooting the cast performance 425 grain bullet and power pro 300 powder. It is really accurate and it hits hard with that 425 grain bullet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.