Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, Dallas Safari Club, NFA ,CSSA NRA, CCFR
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Canada (BC, Alberta Nunavet) Texas, New Mexico
Well I'm of today to Hunt Addax and Blackbuck with Montgomery Ranch Properties. It's been an interesting day, Im taking a Weatherby 7mm rifle and a Colt Delta elite 10mm handgun. I called the CFO about flying with handguns to the US, it's not a problem. Get to the airport in Grande Prairie AB no problem. Go through customs in Calgary no problem. Go and drop my gun case off at the oversize kiosk, lady ask for my airline declaration give it to her, she looks at the X-ray of the case and freaks out " you have a handgun in there" my answer is "yes" Her response you can't have a handgun. My reaction is " I'm allowed own handguns and my long term ATT allows me to transport to any US border, and I had called the CFO prior to doing this" She gets on the phone, comes back you can go I need this clarified, I'm not sure if she but the case on the conveyor or not. But she did say it will be on the plane. My comment after this was at least you will know for next time, to which she replied oh no I'll have call again things change.
Any ways MPR is a 10,000 acre ranch with a lot of exotic animals in the TexasHill country. Short steep hills and lots of thorn brush. I hunted for Scimitar Horned Oryx there last November, it's not Africa but still a challenge to hunt

Can't wait for the report!

It amazes me how animals can disappear in the hill country. Hope you have a great hunt and can't wait to see pictures.

Have a great hunt! Drink plenty of water it's still hot in these parts. Speaking of water, if you're in the region I think you'll be they've had plenty this year. It will be thick!

Best of luck, look for the report! Love hunting the hill country!

Have a great hunt Spooksar!

Good luck and shoot straight.

Take lots of pictures

ps, thanks for educating the masses at the airport.
Just for kicks, next hunting trip I am going to take a handgun on my next plane ride the US.
Desensitization training.

Sounds like a lot of fun. I have a blackbuck on my wish list. Just want it to be a hunt and not a shoot. Alsi would like to be where there is a chance at a good one. Will look forward to your hunt report. Bruce

Best of luck on your hunt!

I miss the hill country- haven't been back since 2011. And the BBQ... oh the BBQ!

Agree with @rinehart0050 !Certainly the bbq is a major highlight! Definitely get some, or multiple visits is a better option!

Good luck and shoot straight.

Take lots of pictures

ps, thanks for educating the masses at the airport.
Just for kicks, next hunting trip I am going to take a handgun on my next plane ride the US.
Desensitization training.
I kind of enjoy shaking people up when it comes to firearms, I was polite and educated her. The look on her face when she realized I had a handgun was priceless.

I didn't know you Canukers could own something like that Colt in CN. How many hoops do you have to jump thru for that?

I didn't know you Canukers could own something like that Colt in CN. How many hoops do you have to jump thru for that?
It's actually got better, you need to get your Restricted license and register each gun. I have 60 handguns that I have collected over the last 45 years. At one time you had to buy the gun, go to the police station, get a permit to take it back to the police station, have it registered and get a temporary permit and take it home. Now you buy the gun register it via the Internet, wait for the transfer to be, approved go get. Takes anywhere from 5 minutes to 24 hours in Alberta

Well good news for youse guys! Doesn't sound any worse than California or NY. Here in WA its not too bad. I have a carry license so a handgun is cash and carry right now. No wait for long guns. The Attorney General is pushing for a ban on so called assault weapons now so we'll see where that goes. Full auto guns have been illegal here in WA since probably the infamous 1934 National Firearms Act, but are legal in most states. Something most in the news media and many in govt don't even know.

didnt know that.

Something over 30 states I believe allow full auto if you do the NFA paperwork and pay the $200 tax and register etc. Not sure the exact number.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!