Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
Hello, my fellow gun nuts!

So quick question, I was wondering about action choice and I've hit a bit of a snag. There are 3 options here, all magnum actions:
1) MRC
2) CZ 550 (tuned)
3) Sako 85

All will be used to build a .375 H&H AI

The focus here is reliability, strength and accuracy... As one would expect.

Issue/Consideration 1

MRC has a bit of a hot and cold rep at present and I'm slightly worried about such, no one wants to be stuck with a custom rifle that behaves below par. This, coupled with the fact that they are pricey as hell in SA, worries me intensely.

Issue/Consideration 2

The CZ has a massive extractor claw and is tough as nails. With a bit of tuning I feel like it could be a class act and truly worth while, I just bloody hate the safety. It's also the cheapest option here, not that we go for cheap as you get what you pay for.

Issue/Consideration 3

Sako make great firearms, no doubt, but the lack of a serious extractor and almost push feed system leaves me pretty nervous. I don't know about their reliability or extractor strength and it's making me uneasy. I also don't know whether or not the detachable magazine is a good thing... I also despise the remington style safety.

If I'm off beat anywhere, please set me right, I like being wrong... Especially when it makes choices easier :p Any and all advice will be appreciated...

Hi Alexandro,
1. I have sold many MRC rifles, only have sent one back for repair. They are by far the slowest of the three you mention on shipping, unless the rifle is stock you will have a wait to get your rifle especially in SA. On the bright side they will custom chamber your rifle before it is shipped. I own several myself and the worse thing I can say about them is that the floor plate springs are to light and if used for DG they need to be replaced or pinned, I have never had ammo rain on my feet but I’ve never had a buff charge me either. Apply Murphy’s law.
2. The 550 is a solid rifle for sure, sometimes need work to be right. The safety can be corrected as can the rough riding bolt that is sometimes thrown in at no extra cost. Definitely a worthy rifle to consider.
3. The Sako, I have no experience with their large bore rifles, quite a bit with small to medium bores and have never had extraction problems with one. Solid rifles at competitive price for what you get. All I have shot shoot good to excellent, quite an attractive rifle to boot.
4. Winchester 70 Safari, solid as they come out of the box. Around the same price as a CZ( in the US). It has the safety you are wanting, I’d add this to your list of options.
Cheers,
Cody

I have no experience with MRC. The second, CZ, and the fore runner, ZKK602, as noted are a work in progress. I haven't had one, but know several people that have and a gunsmith that worked on several. It was the conclusion of all that with a bit of "finishing" it would become a respectable action. I do have a Sako 85S, which is similar to the longer action with regard to design and it is my primary hunting rifle, taking it in preference to Rem 700, M70 and Ruger 77s. I have had no problem at all with it. So for my suggestion, I'd say if you can get a CZ and spend a few bucks to smooth the rough edges and change the safety to your liking, that would be my first choice. Second would be the Sako. third would be the MRC, basically because I have no experience with it, so can't conjecture what I would think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross