Acquisition of a Double Rifle

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
If a man wanted to get into a double rifle but did not have several thousand dollars to spend where would you start. Let's say $8000 was the cap. I have a trip to Zim in 2022 and I'm hunting buffalo and I have all the necessary equipment but I really really want to use a double...I have some rifles I.could sell to help fund the situation but I need to know from some guys in the know. What is the bottom line in double rifles

Do you have a DG rifle already?

Because that 8k would likely get you another Buffalo, or a tuskless elephant.

I’d take a reliable bolt rifle, use the 8k for extra trophy fees, or keep it stashed in your “double fund” and when it grows, get your ideal double instead of making compromises to meet your current budget.

I doubt your experience will be lessened, and the Buffalo sure won’t know the difference!

But if you do decide to get a double, enjoy it, and have a helluva hunt:)

This was a suggestion in a different post by another member, but DSC’s camp talk has classified ads at the end with a lot of big bore rifles for sale. I don’t see anything in this issue, but in one of the recent issues there was an ad for a Blaser S2 500 NE for $5000. Looking back on past issues a lot of quality rifles go for sale there.

I was in the same boat last year. Wanted to get into without spending 5 figures. I found a Sabatti EDL made in 2019. Has been flawless in function since acquisition. They can be had for $5k or less. They suffered from a horrendous batch of rifles that came in for Cabelas years ago and are still trying to bring their brands reputation back, and slowly doing so.

I've actually found myself preferring a o/u double and am speaking with a smith on its building now. If finalized, I may be selling this EDL to fund that build. So, I would say shoot a few first to see what you like. I preferred the o/u but couldn't find the caliber I wanted in that configuration at the time, so opted for the SXS.

Backyardsniper, yes there is something special about a double, if you want one to use on your hunt get it. African safaris dont come every day, do it right.
in my limited opinion Heym is mechanically as good as it gets. You dont have to go new, there are lots of bargains and you have time to shop around.

Where is a good place to look gor used doubles? I assume they have some here in the classifieds occasionally but other than that I'm not sure where is a good place to look. They are such a specialty tool it's hard to find them and I need to do a lot of learning about them so I know what I'm getting and I don't make a mistake and buy some junk.

Google whatever caliber you desire..

There are 3 "no-no's" for DG caliber double rifles.
Over under configuration is a no-no.
Non-flanged cartridge is a no-no.
Single trigger is a no-no.
If you get a double with 2 of the above 3, resale will be an issue.
Even just one of these could make it difficult.

As for caliber...
450/400NE would be a good place to start.
500/416NE and 470NE would be game changers.

Personally I like the Krieghoff Big Five and Blaser S2 for their decocker.
The Heym 88B/89B are also superb.
And you will get what you pay for.
However, your $8K budget may need to be supplemented.

You should keep an eye on the Gun Vault section of Champlinarms.com. They usually have second hand Heym or Chapuis doubles, but it's going to be tough to get to your $8000 budget. You will probably have to go up to about $10-12K. And be sure to read the description of the Chapuis doubles. Champlin Arms strongly recommends Chapuis as best value for the money.
I probably sound like a broken record, but I love my Chapuis double.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!