Acetone for oil removal

clockwork_7mm_gator

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Gents,

I've had an old walnut stock with some deep set oil stains soaking for about 15 hours. It doesn't seem to have done much to pull out any oil. How long, in your experience, should I stay at this before assuming it's just not going to come out? (Online I've read people saying after 12 hours, if it isn't out, it isn't coming out; I've read people saying they soaked them for two weeks.)

Sage advice?

Thanks y'all.

Your real problem is that acetone needs to leech the oil out, and if it is deep in the wood, it will take a long time. I have seen guys use a black bag or bin liner around the stock and then put it on the dashboard of your car. Then blot it or dust with talcum powder to absorb the oil which comes to the surface when heated. Maybe try that in between acetone ?

Acetone and whiting will remove oil from a stock. Apply repeatedly until the oil is gone to your satisfaction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LauriMolon

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!