Absent Import Restrictions: What Would You Hunt?

Hank2211

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Liberia, Mozambique, Argentina
I'm curious. Governments (particularly but not exclusively the US government) believe that if they impose import restrictions on hunting trophies, hunters will leave those animals alone.

Is this true? Have you decided not to hunt an animal, because of import restrictions? Which ones?

Equally, if import restrictions were lifted, which animals would you hunt? To keep this realistic, don't assume money is no object!

Personally, I'm not sure the inability to bring back a trophy would have any impact on my choice of hunt. I've got lots of trophies (too many my wife says) and pictures and memories are just as much trophies as a head on a wall.

I going to shoot a tuskless one of these years. I got a few other priorities but definitely doing that.

I got a lion already but I would definitely hunt them again regardless of import/export, just a really cool hunt.

Current U. S. import restrictions do not impact my bucket list. I don't know how I would ever afford to hunt lion or elephant but if I were able to I would rather hunt LDE or bongo or mountain nyala.

NO restrictions for me!!!!! :LOL: :cool:... currently the Rand dollar exchange is the BIGGEST restriction of all for myself!! (n)

AfricaHunting.com said:
This thread was merged into this one.

Species you would hunt if you faced no import restrictions...

The discussion over PHASA and captive bred lion hunting, and the USFWS import restrictions coming on regarding lions, @Hank2211 brought up a good idea for a thread. What species would you hunt, if you had no import restrictions? To keep it interesting, I am curious about all hunters views, as we all have different restrictions based on where we reside.

To start, I know if I didn't have any, I would want to pursue Atlantic Walrus and seals in the Canadian arctic. I have always wanted to see the habitat, and something about a pair of those ivory tusks on a Euro mount appeals to me. Seals I would love to have crafted into something, like a custom soft rifle case. A bonus would be experiencing a stay up in the inuit lands.

As far as African species, my number one would probably be Brown Hyena. To me they are almost wilder looking than spotted, and would make a fantastic rug or whole mount.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rhim Gazelle

Assuming I had the appropriate caliber rifle, I'd go for a mime. :whistle:

upload_2016-1-7_13-54-2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Polar Bear and soon to be Lion

Oh man @Hank2211 I accidently started an identical thread! I would probably go for Atlantic Walrus out of Nunavut, and in Africa, Brown Hyena

Oh man @Hank2211 I accidently started an identical thread! I would probably go for Atlantic Walrus out of Nunavut, and in Africa, Brown Hyena
Just merged both thread, hope this is OK with you and @Hank2211 ...

I will hunt Africa as long as Africa allows it! (regardless of any North American government actions)

Polar bear, cheetah, brown hyena......lion soon.

I had a huge brown hyena in my scope and didn't shoot it. Better to let it for someone that can import it and make up of the animal.

Probably the two on my list would be elephant and lion. Cost is a potential barrier, but those are probably the two I'd chase.

The value of the US dollar is a big problem . . . For those of us who aren't from there!

Forest elephant for me, just something about hunting elephant in the jungle.

I would hunt Elephant in Zim and Botswana but will not do so as long as import of tusks not allowed In US.

I would hunt Elephant in Zim and Botswana but will not do so as long as import of tusks not allowed In US.
CAustin, is that because of the restrictions ie., you won't hunt unless you can bring something back?

I see that LivingTheDream says he wouldn't hunt tuskless elephant, but nothing from a tuskless is exportable anyway . . . So I assume the US restrictions have no impact here.

That's correct Hank I would want to bring something back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross