Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Idaho, Texas, Louisiana
Anybody here ever used Accurate 2520 or Ramshot TAC for 308? I've been patiently waiting for Varget to get restocked, but I'm about tired of the delays (now, and likely ones in the future) and have decided to try something else.

Edit to add - the 3 bullets I've developed a taste for are ELD-X 178, VLDH 175, and Gold Dot 168.

I have used 2520 for .308 but only in M14 type rifles. I have had good luck particularly with 2520 and have shot my best groups in a 6.5 Creed M1A as well with 140 gr SMK's. I like the powder a lot. I also fired the best ever group in my Rem 700 M40 replica .308 with 155 SMK's. Put 4 in a bug hole sized group. I would not say that either is better than Varget but there aint no flies on them either.

i'll be quite pleased as long as i'm 1 MOA or better.

real bummer, because I have an absolutely magical load with both hornady and bergers with varget. but i'm just worn out with "out of stock, no back orders."

What rifle are you loading for?

a pair of them

My Savage FPLC, and my buddy's Encore.

I figure if I can get sub-MOA with the Gold Dots at 2500 fps, that's as good as what I've been doing with ELD-X and VLDH at just north of 2600.

Another good match for that bullet weight is IMR4064. A little bit faster than Varget but always a good choice for the .308. R15 is also good, a tad slower than Varget.

both of the rifles I'm working with have long barrels - mine's 24, and my buddy's is 26 (i think). slower powder shouldn't be an issue at those lengths.

Nope. R15 does fine in any reasonable length, as does 4064. I believe mil spec LR M118 is loaded with R15.

Anybody here ever used Accurate 2520 or Ramshot TAC for 308? I've been patiently waiting for Varget to get restocked, but I'm about tired of the delays (now, and likely ones in the future) and have decided to try something else.

Edit to add - the 3 bullets I've developed a taste for are ELD-X 178, VLDH 175, and Gold Dot 168.
Sgt Zim
Used heaps of Varget in the 308 but recently tried cfe223 in my son's o8. I loaded 50 grains of cfe223 behind a 150grain accubonds chronoed at 2,900+fps out of a 22inch barrel. Group size average was 0.5 moa the best was 0.34 moa.
This is for 3 shot groups at 100 yards. Unfortunately we can't get cfe223 any more in OZ lucky I stocked up on 20 bottles.
REMEMBER START 5 GRAINS LOWER AND WORK UP THAT LOAD WAS SAFE IN MY RIFLE.

Sgt Zim
Cfe223 is slower than Varget and quicker than H4350 making it ideal for a heap of cartridges. The cfe223 stands for copper fouling eliminater. I haven't cleaned my sons rifle for 200 rounds. He shot a 6 shot 1 moa on Saturday using hornaday 150sst. It also give the 35 Whelen a set of balls.
Cheers mate Bob

A2520 is a little spikey for me. The Zediker match load for 308 is 41.5 gr H4895, 168 grains match bullet , BR-2 primer and IMI match brass. 46 gr CFE works well. 42 gr. IMR also. This is with a Remington 40-X. Since 165 gr is a good bullet...The above loads will work but need to drop some for TSX bullet.

Sgt Zim
Cfe223 is slower than Varget and quicker than H4350 making it ideal for a heap of cartridges. The cfe223 stands for copper fouling eliminater. I haven't cleaned my sons rifle for 200 rounds. He shot a 6 shot 1 moa on Saturday using hornaday 150sst. It also give the 35 Whelen a set of balls.
Cheers mate Bob

I think I may give the CFE223 a go. Speer shows a load at 2700+ for the 168 gr gold dot.

I tried TAC - but only for 150s in a SCAR 17. It worked OK, but Benchmark really shines (for the 150s) in the 16" gas gun.

For a 22" 308W bolt gun and 165 gr A-Frames, RL17 worked really well. And would be my choice if I were to hunt with what I consider my Practice Rifle.

20191125_115200.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a little late here, but I am starting to really love CFE223. It is working great for me in a bunch of rounds. I am going to make sure I stock up before November.

I would have bought a can today at the LGS, but they didn't have any.:( In fact they didn't have a lot of stuff. :mad: It would appear the panic buying over Covid-19 has made it to the gun stores.:eek:

amazingly enough, I found a can of CFE223 at Academy for $24

there's a small shop up near my office, owner sez if I pay in advance, I can get the big jugs at cost. I'll be working on loads tomorrow.

If it works out with the 168 gr Gold Dots, I figure I'll need around 4 jugs.

I'm a little late here, but I am starting to really love CFE223. It is working great for me in a bunch of rounds. I am going to make sure I stock up before November.
YancyW.
I'm glad you have found cfe223 to be so versatile it works especially well in semi autos by reducing the need for cleaning as often. Up to 500 rounds between barrel cleans.
In the 35 Whelen it really gives it a set of balls to almost safely achieve almost 338 win mag status.
There's nothing wrong with a 35 Whelen 250grain Speer hotcore at 2,700fps or a 225 grain woodleigh at 2,900fps. The beauty of cfe223 as you said it can be used in so many calibers.
Cheers mate Bob.

amazingly enough, I found a can of CFE223 at Academy for $24

there's a small shop up near my office, owner sez if I pay in advance, I can get the big jugs at cost. I'll be working on loads tomorrow.

If it works out with the 168 gr Gold Dots, I figure I'll need around 4 jugs.
Sgt Zim
Mate at $24 a tin and cheaper in bulk you can send me 20 pounds . When it was available in OZ it was $60 per pound.

A2520 is a little spikey for me. The Zediker match load for 308 is 41.5 gr H4895, 168 grains match bullet , BR-2 primer and IMI match brass. 46 gr CFE works well. 42 gr. IMR also. This is with a Remington 40-X. Since 165 gr is a good bullet...The above loads will work but need to drop some for TSX bullet.
Friend Bob
When I'm getting 0.5 inch average groups with 150grain accubonds and 6 shot groups of a bit over 1 inch groups with 150grain SSTs using Fedral cases, WLR primers in a bog standard Howa hunting rifle I see no need to change anything.
As they say if'n it ain't broke why fix it
Cheers Bob Nelson

According to Glen Zediker, there is only one powder suitable for the .308 in a semi auto, IMR4895 and I think that load you mention is meant for the M1A according to GZ. Most of us who shot M14 type rifles use lots of other powders with complete safety and satisfaction. Anything from IMR3031 to Varget and R15 and anything in between. Much slower and the op rod is at risk of getting bent from the port pressure timing. 4064 is a fav. In my M14 rifles I use it and 4895 and AA2530 as well. I usually keep the R15 for my M40 bolt rifles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!