A way of measuring my 12ga Bore and Chokes ?

SAFARIKIDD

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
TANZANIA..ZIM..BOTSWANA....NAMBIA
Without spending $600 on a Brownell Micrometer ! I mainly want to measure my fixed choke guns ...Any advice or tips? (I do know about the silver dime trick) Thanks

Couldn't you just go on Google or a place like Harbor Freight and buy $20 calipers.

Couldn't you just go on Google or a place like Harbor Freight and buy $20 calipers.
The problem is that choke is the difference between the actual barrel diameter and the narrowest part of the choke. The muzzle diameter only provides one of those numbers, and depending upon choke style, may not even reflect the maximum point of constriction.

Not sure where Gary Bulley's bore gauges are priced now (they were around $130-$140) but it will be considerably less than $600.

You could also look for a second hand Skeet's Bore Gauge.

You could also spend some time on the pattern board shooting patterns into a 30" circle at various distances (20, 30 & 40 yards). Preferably with quality skeet/trap or sporting clays loads (using same load and shot size). That should give a good real world indication.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg