Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
While here on Safari I have the opportunity to learn about the state of this nation. There is a very important fight raging right now. And, it is one that could have a major impact on this wonderful country. It is, I think, a fight for democracy. This is my two cents on the issue.

Elections are being contested in several municipal elections. What is important is that the ANC is behind in the polls to the DA. As a part of that fight the ANC has imposed a form of censorship on the public broadcaster. A decree has been imposed banning the reporting of protests. The print media is not giving up on their rights to a free press. The editorials and articles have been a broadside against censorship and the ANC. There is a court challenge. And, in a dramatic turn of events, the CEO of the public broadcaster quit declaring his ethics were being compromised!

South Africa is a country with a lot of potential. It has a democratic tradition, a good educational system, a relatively independent judiciary and military. It has abundant resources and a good manufacturing sector. As a result, it has the potential to become a powerful democratic country. Some of the political parties are divided on racial lines but the DA seem to be breaking down those barriers in an attempt to move South Africa forward.

Right now the EU is their largest trading partner and the Brexit issue has hurt it's economy further. China is buying it's way in, but with a trade agreement with the USA there is every reason to give this country a chance. I just wish North America would wake up to the importance of this country and its potential. It is inspiring to see the press fight so hard for what many of us take for granted. It would be nice if our companies that manufacture overseas would give South Africa a chance at financial success.

This country has many complex problems. However, more trade with us may be the tipping point that this democracy needs.

Just my two cents.

Good write up. Sounds like a critical time.

When are the elections?

Is there a chance the ANC might be ousted? I know Bishop Desmond ToTo was giving the leadership of ANC a hard time recently. In fact I saw video of him denouncing the party he helped form.

Is there a chance the ANC might be ousted? I know Bishop Desmond ToTo was giving the leadership of ANC a hard time recently. In fact I saw video of him denouncing the party he helped form.

I suspect best case scenario would be a gradual shifting of power. The ANC is very strong.

@CAustin , I try stay away from talking politics on line , I can tell you that there will be some pressure on the ANC in certain municipal areas , these elections are Municipal .

@CAustin , an example is that the Western Cape , Cape Town is not run by the ANC .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg