www.baylysippelsafaris.co.za
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PHASA
I hope this gives everyone a brief mental break from the chaos currently going on around us and you have an enjoyable read! Please feel free to share any experiences you may have had!

This is a hunt that actually started almost one year ago. Mike and I were reviewing pictures from a trail camera placed at our old faithful bushpig bait site when we discovered a massive warthog boar dominating the bushpig, forcing them away from the bait site with him feeding well into darkness. As we had clients coming in for their bushpig hunts that year, this was needless to say, not acceptable. We needed to make a plan to get this pest away from our baiting site.

Word of this menace was spread and one of our local friends quickly obliged to come in and give the hunt an attempt with his bow. On the day, we checked the right time according to our trail camera pictures and we settled into the blind. Everything went like clockwork and the pig came in perfectly on time. He walked in with all the confidence of an undisturbed warthog that had been feeding for weeks. However, at the very last second he must have scented something and turned his body to just marginally quartering on. That meant no shot with a bow. A few seconds later he snorted and trotted off and that was the end of pictures of him on our trail camera, except for a few rare sightings. Unfortunately, it seemed that his inconsistent presence in the area was not to the bushpigs liking and we struggled with the bait site for the rest of the year. We had gone from having guaranteed and consistent bushpigs there every season to having erratic behavior from them at the very best. Luckily we had other baiting sites and many lovely bushpig boars were hunted with our clients.

The season ended and the new year came around. Secretly, we were hoping that the resident leopard had caught our maize thief. We looked at the trail camera in anticipation of seeing monster bushpig feeding at the exact same time every evening. Instead we found photos of that very same warthog! The problem was he had doubled in size and his tusks had grown into a formidable set of ivory. What seemed odd on the cameras was that whenever David (the resident farm worker) went to feed at the bait site, this monster of a pig would stroll in a few minutes after David had walked away. Consulting with David, we realised that this warthog had become so bold in his addiction to the maize we fed, that on many occasions, he would stand at the edge of the brush bordering David's house and wait for him to go and feed! Once David would go to feed, he would see the warthog waiting patiently about 20 yards away, just waiting for the moment when David was finished. Immediately thereafter, he would then casually stroll in. The nerve of this pig! We had a few pictures of bushpig very interested in the bait site, however by the time this warthog was done he wouldn't leave a single maize kernel lying astray! Armed with this new knowledge, but also knowing we had not brought any night hunting equipment, we laid the best plan we could.

As warthogs are not normally nocturnal animals, we had taken the preventative measure of feeding at 18:15, when it was virtually dark already. That small measure was not enough to stop this greedy warthog, and he had very quickly adapted to feeding in the dark. This time, I would walk in with David at 17:30 let him feed and leave, and wait for the warthog to appear.

We were hoping that the pig would smell the feed and come in earlier so we would have enough shooting light. Walking in with David I could feel a strong breeze in my face - a perfect wind for the short wait and also vital knowing how sensitive a warthog’s nose is. Upon David putting the feed out, I was reminded of why our bushpig baits receive so much attention. Our special cocktail of ingredients made a smell irresistible to the pigs, but not so much for the person sitting in the hide with the feed container!

Standing quietly, making sure to limit movement across the shooting ports, I waited with bated breath for the smallest sign of his approach. I knew given the close quarters shooting, it would be important to get the safety off well before he arrived on the scene. As the minutes ticked by, the sun's warm glow faded deeper and deeper into the horizon. I was constantly glancing through my scope to make sure I could still see the crosshairs and focus them on random points. I was quickly reaching the turning point of being able to shoot or not. I had a gut feeling that the pig was going to come in, but with not enough shooting light I was already planning my sneaky departure so I could try the next day.

Suddenly, in the distance, I heard something. It started as just a twig snapping and it slowly evolved into a tumbling of leaves and a rustling of bushes. I flicked safety off and held my breath. Was this him? Then all of a sudden, like a ghost in the darkness, two white tusks appeared in the bush right in front of me. Realising that light was essentially gone and that within the next minute or two I may not be able to see anything at all, I readied myself for any shot opportunity given to me. He came in confidently walking head on. Roughly 5 yards away from the bait he paused and glanced off to his right, exposing his shoulder to me. The shot went off immediately and instinctively with the .375 H&H round punching through his shoulder, through the heart and exiting in front of the opposite side hip. He dropped immediately and disappeared in a cloud of dust created by his frenetic last kicks.

Nervous about the shot in the low light, I cycled a fresh round in and sprinted up to the pig, having to look away from him for a brief few seconds to exit the hide. All the while, I was desperately hoping he had not disappeared from sight by the time I got there. Thankfully when i got to him 15 seconds later, he had already completely expired and he was laying still in the settling dust cloud. The moment started to sink in. With Mike and myself being privileged enough to hunt in some of the finest big pig areas in Southern Africa with our clients, we were no strangers to big warthogs. We guided countless giant boars each year.

However, looking down at this pig, this was different. I remember thinking this was the first time I ever wanted to weigh a warthog. His body was absolutely gigantic. It was so big, in fact, that his exceptional tusks were seemingly dwarfed by his body! He looked like a domestic farm pig in a warthog costume! I rushed off with my flashlight in hand to get David and show him the beast that lay before us. We brought the vehicle in, but it took three of us to shimmy the pig onto the back.

Back at camp, we had a quick photo shoot and got a brand new scale out. We indeed gave the poor scale a proper stretch for its first test run. This monster weighed in at an astonishing 104 kilograms! This was definitely a first for me and something not to be forgotten soon. As is often the case with once in a lifetime animals, the photos did not do any justice. I believe that had we sent him off for a full mount and if we had sent in his belly girth measurements, the taxidermist would have laughed at us!

Needless to say, our bushpig baiting site is once again open for business and the bushpig’s have once again returned to enjoy our delicious maize mixture! Hopefully, the next story will soon be written about chasing a new boar there!

What a bruiser!
03090115.JPG

Check that tummy!
03090125.JPG

That's some nice looking ivory!
03110438.JPG

The vast majority of pictures were taken in the dark of night. Some nights he was feeding within 2 minutes of David being there
03110520.JPG

One of his more rare daytime appearances
03120574.JPG

A fantastic set of tusks for anyone!
03120582.JPG

Always using their noses!
03120583.JPG

Poor bushpig not catching a break!
03130774.JPG

David Feeding, pic 1
03140818.JPG

6 minutes later he appears, pic 1
03140819.JPG

David feeding, pic 2
03160030.JPG

3 minutes later he appears, pic 2
03160031.JPG

Here he is!!! I think our tracking dog was just as pleased as I was!
IMG_20200420_190227.jpg

Great cutters!
IMG_20200420_190754.jpg

That's about 230lbs
IMG_20200420_191510.jpg

Those bottom cutters are just unreal! He was a symmetrical 10 1/2 inches out of the gum, putting his total length at an estimated 12 1/2 inches.
IMG_20200421_102023.jpg

As much as we all wish we were in fighting shape i'm not a small guy!
IMG_20200420_191556.jpg

What a monster! You don't shoot a pig like that every day!

You want to make me drive a few hours north!!!!
Haha thanks very much! I'm excited to see the pigs we will be hunting next season assuming it all remains closed! There will be some monsters running around!

Shot this one in Zimbabwe 2017, sorry for the grainy picture it is a screen shot from a video when we got back to camp. Everyone wanted to know what he weighed and our PH said it was only the second Warthog he had ever seen over 200 pounds. He was missing his right ear, and as said you don't see them this big very often his tusks were 12.5 inches. I was truly blessed to get an opportunity to take such a good warthog.
RNmuR26l.png

FbqQAvtl.jpg

Attachments

• RNmuR26l.jpg
    RNmuR26l.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 165
  • FbqQAvtl.jpg
    FbqQAvtl.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 198
Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice warthog!

What an awesome saga of a pig hunt. Congrats on a fabulous boar! As you state, his tusk and cutters are well above average and beautiful. Thanks for taking us on a great virtual hunt!

Shot this one in Zimbabwe 2017, sorry for the grainy picture it is a screen shot from a video when we got back to camp. Everyone wanted to know what he weighed and our PH said it was only the second Warthog he had ever seen over 200 pounds. He was missing his right ear, and as said you don't see them this big very often his tusks were 12.5 inches. I was truly blessed to get an opportunity to take such a good warthog.
RNmuR26l.png

FbqQAvtl.jpg
That is one serious Pig! Congrats, they are seldom that heavy!

I am very jealous, this is a great pig, congrats :D Cheers:

What an awesome saga of a pig hunt. Congrats on a fabulous boar! As you state, his tusk and cutters are well above average and beautiful. Thanks for taking us on a great virtual hunt!
Thank you very much! We were very lucky that he was so symmetrical! We normally love a beaten up old pig but its always nice to get a perfect set of tusks!

If anyone else has taken a pig of over 100kg please feel free to share the pics here with us!

Thanks for the write up. Great story and amazing pig!

Thanks for the write up. Great story and amazing pig!
Thank you very much sir! We appreciate it!

Kind regards,
Dempsey Bayly & Michael Sippel

Nice pig. On my first safari in 2013, we were hunting with Blaauwkrantz safaris, while looking for kudu the tracker spotter a huge warthog in some VERY thick cover. There was no way we could get to come out and we couldn't get a clear lane for a shot. My PH Eardly asked me if I was up for something different on a try to get this pig. So obviously my answer was yes. He fetched his bushpig dogs and they were turned loose on the trail and we were off to the races. The chase went up and down and through some bush that left more than a few bloody scratches. Finally got in close and I hear the PH yell make sure you don't shoot my dogs. I put a nice 480gr 450NE through the boiler room from 5 meters and he thought the dogs were what hurt him and charged them. He went down after chasing the dogs for 20M. His left tusk was 13 1/4 and the right 13 1/2. Eardly said it was largest he had ever taken with a client.

DSC_0129.JPG

My wife took and exceptional pig in 2015. He was spotted crossing the road. So the PH (Kyne) and my wife bailed off the truck and went after it. When they finally caught up with it the PH asked he if she could see to shoot it right below the ears. He is 6'1" and she in 5'2" and all she can see is the very tops of his ears above the brush. So she has her rifle on the sticks and the PH lifts her up by the shoulders on her jacket and tells her to shoot just below the ears. I am in the truck with the tracker when we hear the shot and after a few minutes the radio crackles with "This pig is huge like a baby rhino" well the tracker honed in on Baby rhino and needless to say he had a very interesting look on his face somewhere between frightened and Oh shit how do we explain this one. Well needless to say made for some interesting stories at the evening fire. What is impressive about her warthog is how the mass extends all the way to the end of the tusks. both tusks are just over 12 inches.

IMG_0628.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg